Review of chinese for seniors from advertisments

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Review of chinese for seniors from advertisments

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "chinese for seniors from advertisments" by Wadie Farid Haddad.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

chinese for seniors from advertisments by Wadie Farid Haddad is a thirty-page collection of pictures from before COVID-19 with Hanzi Chinese characters on them. Sometimes, but not always, there are English words underneath the Chinese letters to translate what they are saying. Since all of the shots are almost extreme close-ups, not all of them can be seen clearly, and some of them are even extremely blurry.

The author interprets the images as remnants of a vanished civilization because everything is fading and being destroyed. If they haven't already perished, these won't last forever. If the photographs had been taken from a bit farther away so that they were easier to grasp, I would have loved this book more. Additionally, I would have loved it more if there had been English translations of the Chinese characters underneath each image.

The majority of this book will be pictures only if, like me, you are completely illiterate in Chinese. Since not all photos have English written below the Hanzi Chinese characters and, as was already mentioned, not all of the images are complete, I don't really see the learning curve. I don't like the name of the book either, mostly because "advertisements" is incorrectly typed and the title contains no uppercase characters. I'm not sure, but perhaps the title was directly translated from Chinese, which could account for the errors.

I didn't enjoy anything about this compilation because even the photos weren't well-done or professional. They were taken up close, and a lot of them were blurry. However, it is clear that the images were taken from advertisements. I'd give this book a 2 out of 5 stars rating. I can only comment on the book's title with regard to any mistakes or errors. Personally, I had higher hopes for these commercial photos.

In my opinion, people who can read and comprehend Chinese and who like close-up images of advertisements should pick up this book. I find Chinese writing to be incredibly sensual. It always seems as though the characters are flowing and that a single character can encompass an entire narrative. I'd love to be able to read Chinese, comprehend it, and maybe get a taste of their culture. I was brought back to that passion by these pictures. I'm eager to see how more photographs compare to those in this book because the author did indicate that there would be more after this compilation.

chinese for seniors from advertisments
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”