Review of Sonora Pass

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Island Girl by Charles R Hinckley

Re: Review of Sonora Pass

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

It's clear that the author beautifully emphasizes the significance of friendship in our lives and how it brings love and support during tough times. Celia and Maite's relationship is a shining example of true friendship, showcasing how it can define our lives. Congrats on the BOTD.
Mercy Wambui Ndungu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-wambui-ndungu.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Mercy Wambui Ndungu »

David Chijindu wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 02:15 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Friendship is vital to our progress in life. As humans, we must be able to define the meaning of friendship and know the characteristics of good friendship. Good friendship brings love among the people involved, and they are ready to help one another in times of trouble. The relationship between Celia and Maite shows the importance of good friendship. Celia and Maite's relationship defines a true friendship.

Sonora Pass by Jaime Olmos and Kevin Nichols is a book about the reunion in Montreal. Esteban met his old friends (Jonah and Raul) in June 1995. They were good friends and members of a musical band called Jabberwocky. Jonah and Esteban discuss matters relating to their work and personal affairs. Esteban met Jonah and Leticia in August 1996. They were also members of the Jabberwocky. Esteban wanted to build a relationship with Celia because he liked her, and she was single. They plan a reunion party for all their old college friends. Rodrigo and Raul are supposed to attend the reunion party because they are members of Jabberwocky. Esteban had issues with Rodrigo attending the party because they had a confrontation in 1970 because Celia was dating both men.

I like some aspects of the book. I love how the authors add the dates of different events in the book. For instance, Rachel and Esteban met in California (June 1995). The way the authors portray the characters is excellent. The authors maintain the exact image of the characters throughout the book. Once readers see a character's picture, they can identify who the character is. I love how the authors taught readers the importance of good friendship using the stories in the book. Celia and Maite helped one another. Maite and her husband sponsored the investigation. Jonah also took on the investigation job to vindicate Esteban, his friend.

I did not like some aspects of the book. The authors made use of some Spanish words in the book without translation. For instance, on page 70, there was a Spanish conversation without translation. A reader who does not understand Spanish would find it difficult to understand the conversation. The authors did not further explain the divorce case between Rachel and Esteban. I want to know if the case was successful or unsuccessful.

The book was exciting, and my favorite character was Jonah. I love how Jonah took on the investigation job to help Esteban because he wanted to vindicate him. Jonah also unites his friends (Rodrigo and Esteban) after the incident at the college. I found one error in the book, so it is professionally well-edited. Due to the aspects of the book I like, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to lovers of historical fiction who want to read a book on the importance of good friendship.

Sonora Pass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos and Kevin Nichols. Your review gives a clear picture of your impressions of the book.

Your emphasis on the importance of friendship in the story is notable. The connection between Celia and Maite as a reflection of true friendship seems to be a significant theme in the book.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

This graphic novel featuring the characters' conflict and a mystery piqued my intrigue. Thanks for the awesome review!
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

Thanks for a wonderful review. I enjoyed reading it and would love to read "Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos. Congrats to the author on BOTD.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 643
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Sonora Pass” by Jaime Olmos and Kevin Nichols is a story about a reunion in Montreal but the theme of this book is the importance of good friendship. Esteban formed a band with his good friends called Jabberwocky. Esteban really like Celia who was single and he wanted to build a relationship with her. Esteban invites all of his old friends to the reunion but is concerned about Rodrigo since they had a falling out when Celia was dating both of them. The sample was illustrations with bubbles for the conversations. The plot was somewhat confusing because of some communications in Spanish without an English translation. Esteban must have done something bad since his friend Jonah conducted an investigation to try and vindicate Esteban.
Emmanuel Abiodun Olutayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Emmanuel Abiodun Olutayo »

"Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos is centered on friends and the great help friends can be to one another. The story seems intriguing. Congrats on BOTD. Amazing review.
Black Indigo
Currently Reading: Relieved
Bookshelf Size: 607
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Black Indigo »

The book cover had me skeptical of the book, but the review helped me gain interest in reading this book. I like how the review illustrates the timeline of events and the history of the characters. Thank you for the review.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Friendship is a vital part of a person's life and this book sounds like an interesting take on it. Thanks for the amazing review.
Annette Boateng
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 331

Post by Annette Boateng »

The author did well with the recommendation and l must say myself is a fan of historical novel specifically talking of a book on the importance of good friendship. Great review.
Fatima Hammoud 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fatima Hammoud 2 »

This book, with the descriptions that it has, let you imagine how friends make journeys in the heart of nature. Looks Awesome!
Johncy92

Post by Johncy92 »

This book is something which truly holds your brain and heart for a longer time, you cannot put it off till you read down of its last word. Looking forward to many more by the author. One of the best book read after ages and the book thrills. Must read.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Sonora Pass is a well-illustrated graphic novel with a murder mystery at its core. I love how the author has created an intriguing group of characters. The illustrator has done justice to each one. Jonah sounds like an interesting character in the book, and I'm curious to learn whether he is able to acquit Estaban. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Cynthia Odinaka
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-odinaka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Cynthia Odinaka »

An amazing review you got there. I love how the author highlighted the importance of friendship and the strong bonds good friends form which can't be easily broken . Congrats on book of the day.
RomanceBound T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romancebound-t.html
Latest Review: Holy Terror by John R. Dougherty

Post by RomanceBound T »

Really liked how detailed you've written this review. This sounds like such a good read.
Sakshi Patel 1
Currently Reading: Swimming in a Sea of Stars
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakshi-patel-1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakshi Patel 1 »

"Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos and Kevin Nichols is a book that delves into a reunion in Montreal, where Esteban reconnects with his old friends, Jonah and Raul, in June 1995. These friends were not only close but also members of a musical band called Jabberwocky. The narrative unfolds as Jonah and Esteban engage in conversations about work and personal matters. In August 1996, Esteban reunites with Jonah and Leticia, who were also members of Jabberwocky. As the story unfolds, Esteban's growing interest in Celia, a single woman, adds an interesting dimension to the plot. The friends plan a reunion party for their old college buddies, which includes Rodrigo and Raul, who were also part of Jabberwocky. However, tension arises when Rodrigo is expected to attend the gathering, given a past confrontation in 1970 when Celia was dating both Esteban and Rodrigo.

There are elements of the book that I found quite appealing. The authors skillfully incorporate specific dates for various events throughout the story, which adds a unique element to the narrative. This enables readers to place events in a chronological context, enhancing their understanding of the story's timeline. Additionally, the authors create and maintain distinct character profiles, allowing readers to consistently identify and connect with the characters as they progress through the book. The exploration of the importance of friendship is a compelling aspect of the narrative. The characters, such as Celia and Maite, exemplify the power of mutual support and collaboration. Jonah's commitment to the investigation to vindicate Esteban further illustrates the significance of strong friendships.

However, there are certain aspects of the book that I found less favorable. The authors incorporate Spanish words and conversations without translation, which could potentially alienate readers who do not understand the language. For instance, a Spanish conversation on page 70 lacks translation, making it challenging for non-Spanish-speaking readers to grasp the content. Furthermore, the outcome of the divorce case between Rachel and Esteban is left unresolved. Clarity on whether the case was successful or unsuccessful would have provided closure to that part of the narrative.

Despite these minor concerns, "Sonora Pass" is an engaging read, and Jonah emerges as a standout character due to his commitment to helping Esteban and uniting their friends after the college incident. The book's limited errors indicate professional editing. Considering the positive elements of the book, I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to readers who appreciate historical fiction and stories that emphasize the importance of strong friendships.

~~~~

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”