Review of Sonora Pass

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Review of Sonora Pass

Post by David Chijindu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Friendship is vital to our progress in life. As humans, we must be able to define the meaning of friendship and know the characteristics of good friendship. Good friendship brings love among the people involved, and they are ready to help one another in times of trouble. The relationship between Celia and Maite shows the importance of good friendship. Celia and Maite's relationship defines a true friendship.

Sonora Pass by Jaime Olmos and Kevin Nichols is a book about the reunion in Montreal. Esteban met his old friends (Jonah and Raul) in June 1995. They were good friends and members of a musical band called Jabberwocky. Jonah and Esteban discuss matters relating to their work and personal affairs. Esteban met Jonah and Leticia in August 1996. They were also members of the Jabberwocky. Esteban wanted to build a relationship with Celia because he liked her, and she was single. They plan a reunion party for all their old college friends. Rodrigo and Raul are supposed to attend the reunion party because they are members of Jabberwocky. Esteban had issues with Rodrigo attending the party because they had a confrontation in 1970 because Celia was dating both men.

I like some aspects of the book. I love how the authors add the dates of different events in the book. For instance, Rachel and Esteban met in California (June 1995). The way the authors portray the characters is excellent. The authors maintain the exact image of the characters throughout the book. Once readers see a character's picture, they can identify who the character is. I love how the authors taught readers the importance of good friendship using the stories in the book. Celia and Maite helped one another. Maite and her husband sponsored the investigation. Jonah also took on the investigation job to vindicate Esteban, his friend.

I did not like some aspects of the book. The authors made use of some Spanish words in the book without translation. For instance, on page 70, there was a Spanish conversation without translation. A reader who does not understand Spanish would find it difficult to understand the conversation. The authors did not further explain the divorce case between Rachel and Esteban. I want to know if the case was successful or unsuccessful.

The book was exciting, and my favorite character was Jonah. I love how Jonah took on the investigation job to help Esteban because he wanted to vindicate him. Jonah also unites his friends (Rodrigo and Esteban) after the incident at the college. I found one error in the book, so it is professionally well-edited. Due to the aspects of the book I like, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to lovers of historical fiction who want to read a book on the importance of good friendship.

Sonora Pass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Syed Shehwar Haider
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Syed Shehwar Haider »

Nice title of book it about a good friendship
Last edited by Syed Shehwar Haider on 23 Apr 2023, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

I appreciate how you highlighted the strength of the book and the importance of good friendship. It makes me want to get the book.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Davy Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davy-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Small Business, Big Stress: A Practical Guide to Managing the Chaos and Finding Success by Niki Reiche

Post by Davy Ifedigbo »

Having good friends that want us to advance and succeed in life is one of the best things we can achieve. I love how Jonah brought Esteban and Rodrigo together. This proves Jonah is a trustworthy friend.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

I have a weakness for fictional books about bands from the 1970's, and I've never heard of this one. Thank you for your review--added to the TBR pile!
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by the Jabberwocky reunion party that the college friends threw. I am intrigued by the identity of the person who murdered Celia and that person's reason for committing the crime. I am interested in finding out if there is a connection between the stolen Tridex Air Traffic Control Software and Celia's murder.
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Interesting! Along with the overarching theme of friendship, this seems to be strongly character-driven, which I’m all for! Plus, the promise of characterizations remaining consistent throughout a story with so much going on is definitely persuasive.
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Upphilan Paul »

Having good friend is just like having heaven on earth. Good people are few in our world, they might stab on in the back. This review is well-written and I love it. Check out Celia and Maite in this book. I recommend it. Congrats on BOTD!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting graphic novel highlighting a unique reunion, amazing characterization, and the importance of friendship. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Sara Rispo
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sara Rispo »

The plot is particular but I wasn't particularly dragged by it. I don't think I'll add it to my To-Read list, but I'm sure that there will be someone able to appreciate it.
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Congrats on BOTD!
It's like having heaven on earth to have nice friends. In this humorous, action-packed murder mystery set in a variety of thrilling locations, meet Celia and Maite. In our world, there aren't many good people because they might stab you in the back.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

A murder mystery at a college reunion with such a complex cast of characters? 'Sonora Pass' sounds like a thrilling read. The mix of settings and the troubled past pique my interest.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
RAHUL SINGH 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-27.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by RAHUL SINGH 27 »

Sonora Pass, penned by Jaime Olmos, is a captivating novel that transports readers on a thrilling journey through the rugged landscapes of the American West. In this dignifying review, we will delve into the book's gripping plot, vivid descriptions, well-developed characters, and the author's ability to create an immersive reading experience.

Set against the backdrop of the stunning Sonora Pass, Olmos skillfully weaves a tale of adventure, mystery, and danger. The plot follows the ambitious geologist, Alex Donovan, who finds himself in the midst of a treacherous quest to uncover a hidden secret buried deep within the mountains. The pacing is expertly executed, with unexpected twists and turns keeping readers on the edge of their seats, eagerly turning pages until the very end.

One of the book's greatest strengths lies in Olmos' ability to transport readers to the heart of the story through vivid descriptions. The picturesque landscapes of the Sonora Pass come alive, as the author paints a breathtaking portrait of the natural beauty that surrounds the characters. From the snow-capped peaks to the roaring rivers and lush forests, the setting becomes as much a character in the story as any of the individuals involved, enhancing the overall reading experience.

The characters in Sonora Pass are multi-dimensional and well-developed, each with their own distinct personalities, motivations, and flaws. Alex Donovan, the protagonist, is a relatable and determined individual whose scientific expertise is balanced by his moments of vulnerability. Supporting characters, such as the enigmatic local guide and the mysterious antagonist, add depth and complexity to the narrative, creating a dynamic cast that keeps readers invested in their fates.

Olmos masterfully combines elements of suspense, action, and exploration, immersing readers in a world filled with danger and intrigue. The author has clearly conducted meticulous research, as the technical aspects of geology and mountaineering are seamlessly integrated into the storyline, lending an air of authenticity to the novel. This attention to detail enhances the sense of realism and adds depth to the plot, making the adventure all the more compelling.

Furthermore, Sonora Pass delves into themes of greed, betrayal, and the destructive nature of human ambition. Through the characters' actions and the consequences they face, Olmos explores the moral implications of pursuing personal gain at the expense of others or the environment. This thought-provoking layer adds depth and nuance to the story, elevating it beyond a simple adventure tale.

In conclusion, Sonora Pass by Jaime Olmos is an enthralling and evocative novel that captures the imagination from start to finish. With its gripping plot, vivid descriptions, well-drawn characters, and exploration of profound themes, the book is a must-read for fans of adventure and suspense. Olmos' storytelling prowess and ability to create a rich and immersive reading experience make Sonora Pass an exhilarating journey into the wild landscapes of the American West.
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

I adored the range of characters and the way the author connected the various plot threads. The complex plot and eye-catching visuals made reading this book much more enjoyable! This is a clever tale that transports the reader to various locations. A very enjoyable read!
Ayushi_Chaudhary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayushi-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ayushi_Chaudhary »

I loved the plot of the book. The friendship author described seems fun.
I would love to read the book.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”