Review of The Delco Years

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Collins Umunnakwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collins-umunnakwe.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Review of The Delco Years

Post by Collins Umunnakwe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Delco Years" by Bill Owens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Delco Years is one of its kind, spanning the genres of science fiction, fantasy, and even craft beer. According to the author, this book was written in 1999 and put away until it was published in the fall of 2020. 'Almost a true life story', except for the parts made up. A piece depicting a dystopian society has been the rage for some years now.

After Anthrax-836 was accidentally released at Boston Logan Airport, resulting in worldwide fatalities, a new village was born. Some craft beer drinkers and the only people who survived the catastrophe gathered to form this new village. This virus spread rapidly, like a pandemic, and killed a lot of people worldwide. However, we have to wonder why it didn't kill these survivors. What could be their fate after this village is formed? A new civilization? I think we should find out by reading this enthralling piece.

I like that this book is based on some real events and even contains real people's names and real events. I also liked the fact that the book was embedded with various links, which helped me read about the real events that inspired the different scenes of his story. Again, being a graphic novel, the illustrations made the reading more interactive and relatable, even though some of them didn't quite seem to match the text. A good job was done with the editing, as I didn't find any grammatical errors.

I dislike the author's writing style, which, personally, I might attribute to the long time the book was kept before publishing. He failed to change paragraphs when a new person spoke, making the book a bit difficult to keep up with. Due to this, I'll rate this book four out of five stars.

I'll recommend this book to lovers of comics and those who love reading tales sparsely based on actual events. However, I wouldn't recommend this book to children as it contains sexual content.

The Delco Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jay Alex
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: 1942 When British Rule In India Was Threatened by Krishna Kumar

Post by Jay Alex »

Interesting. What could have made the author dropped the book in 1999 and revisit it in 2020 such a book.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

The author's gripping storytelling will have readers hooked while reading the book because of the years gap; for those who loves old writings. It sounds quite interesting to read because it's a 90's book though.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

I'm watching a particular movie ab that movie has increased my interest in science-related movies and books. I'll love to read this book.
Gillian Walter
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-mogzi.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Gillian Walter »

Viruses are always killing people. In also interested to know why the craft beers were not affected. The Delco years might give me more ideas on how to handle a pandemic. Once review.
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

This is an interesting review, I love it. Thanks for sharing this with the details.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”