Review of The Delco Years

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Review of The Delco Years

Post by Vivian Stones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Delco Years" by Bill Owens.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Delco Years by Bill Owens is a novel that talks about an apocalyptic event that threatened to wipe out almost all of the world's population and how an uncanny factor was the only thing that kept man from total annihilation. It also talks about an unnamed protagonist's role in building a community for survivors. 

The story starts with the unassuming way religion is used to cover up some hidden evil. It also discusses how our religious leaders use the masses to enrich their pockets while displaying various sexual innuendos that, most times, are covered up by their massive wealth. Unchecked mental lapses in youths, who are forced into a path they are not prepared for, lead to the deaths of billions of people. The uncanny way little mistakes, overlooked problems, and life-threatening issues accumulate into this apocalyptic event guided by false beliefs and righteous indignation is surely something to read about.

This book was informative. It was also packed with history lessons and references for cross-checking. I must commend the detailed drawings, which were a real soothing aid to the reading. The descriptions and drawings brought life to the book. I would also like to congratulate the author on the way he perfected the art of mixing fact with fiction. Everything blended smoothly, making it hard to distinguish fact from fiction. 

However, I would say that I didn’t know if the story was about the apocalypse or its initiator, or the seeming protagonist that came to the rescue, or if the novel was highlighting the dangers of biological warfare or the dangers of unguided and misused religious power and the evil being perpetrated behind the curtain. There are many faces in this novel, and I was confused about which face was the real face. I also noticed the irregular lengths of the chapters. I do not know if this was intentional by the author, but it made the book a little bit confusing. Again, it might be the author's ploy. 

This book was a lovely read. I believe it can have a successful sequel. I rate this book five out of five stars. No star was deducted because I believe that the book was a nice read, and the lack of inconsistencies and grammatical errors is a plus for this book. However, I would like to warn you that this book contains some nude images; this does not affect my rating for this book.

I will recommend this book to anyone who loves apocalyptic stories with a little twist or is gunning for something a bit different. This book promises to impress.

The Delco Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”