Review of The Bucket of Blood Issue #1

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Review of The Bucket of Blood Issue #1

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bucket of Blood Issue #1" by Paul Malott.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Bucket of Blood Issue #1 by Paul Malott and illustrated by Kokin Kokambar, is a comic book that looks into the activities of Detroit. The book starts with a bar code that takes you to Granny Schmif’s news radio. Granny Schmif seems to control this part of Detroit. There have been issues with city supply, and Whapple Sauce seems to be facing some challenges. When a memo from the Handlers arrives, two detectives who are part of the Handlers, Joop and Spish, are to solve the Whapple Sauce issue. Things, however, take a bloody turn, and the detectives have to save a life and solve the Whapple Sauce issue.

The radio experience I had with the author put me in the mood for the story. The author’s strength in this story is the suspense that spreads through it. I kept waiting for the detectives to crack the Whapple Sauce case and wondering if they ever would. Also, I waited to know who was truly going around hurting people; although I had a suspect, I needed to be certain I wasn’t blaming the wrong guy. Another thing that I liked about the book is the characters; they were realistic and smart, especially Spish.

If the illustrator’s aim was to make me nauseous while reading this book, then he did an excellent job; there were explicit images scattered everywhere, and the author gave no warning whatsoever about the explicit nature of the images in the book. Aside from this, there wasn’t anything else about this book that bothered me. I liked that the story had a twist to it; at some point, I started to wonder if Granny Schmif was a hero or a villain.

As I mentioned earlier, the book has images I found explicit, and I would have appreciated a prior warning. I didn’t find it pleasurable, and it is the only thing stopping me from giving this book a perfect rating. I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The good rating is because I liked the story and the way it was told. I also loved the unique font and language of one of the characters, even if I struggled to understand him at first. Once I cracked it, I was good.

I would recommend this book to lovers of graphic novels; however, if you are not into explicit images, I would recommend you let this one pass. If you do not mind, then this book is for you. If you are a cooking show fan, you may also enjoy reading this book, as it has an investigation into the city’s favourite sauce. People who love detective stories will find it interesting.

The Bucket of Blood Issue #1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

Interesting detective story. Enough warnings are given, which makes me curious to find out how bad it could be. Will add this to my shelf for one more reason; it's been a long time I've read a comic book and have never read a graphic novel. Will surely give it a try. Thanks for your review
Catherine Radford
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

Is there just the one bucket of blood in the book or are there plenty of them?
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

Thanks for informing us about the explicit images. The author should have gave this warning by himself for the sake of young people. I believed that what one sees can Influence one's life.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”