Review of American Odyssey

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of American Odyssey

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American Odyssey" by B. F. Hess.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book, American Odyssey by B. F. Hess, takes us on an enthralling and extraordinary journey through the life of Uriel Jacob Sullinger. He is a character whose transformation from innocence to darkness and back to light forms the heart of this narrative. Having come from a broken home, he forms a relationship with his uncle, who points his character in a particular direction. His love and empathy for him remain evident throughout the story.

Jacob did quite well in academics and became a junior associate in one of the big law firms in Manhattan. However, his encounter with a long-lost friend would begin a downward spiral in his life. Daniel, his former classmate, comes to him with a proposal to make him over twenty-five million dollars in fees. Picking this case would make him brush shoulders with the who's and who's of Manhattan, including politicians and cartels. His upbringing and his uncle's influence had long corrupted his decision-making process, which shows throughout the book. Find out Jacob's path, the people who helped him there, and whether he picked himself up by reading this fantastic book.

I did enjoy reading this book. Jacob's journey was lengthy, yes, but captivating from start to finish. Witnessing Jacob's evolution into a world-weary adult shaped by the unforgiving realities of life was incredible. The plot was well-developed. I loved the idea of Jacob himself narrating his life story to Dr. Kessler and Boo. It made it more relatable and personal. The story, the author's writing style and delivery were all great. The author's descriptions of scenes and characters were impeccable. I could empathize, justify, and almost predict the things in Jacob's mind because of how closely the author presented him to us in this book.

My favourite praise of the book is that it is a treasure trove of thought-provoking quotes and reflections on life, love, and the human condition. I found myself highlighting various sections and profound thoughts in the book. Several moments of introspection invited readers to pause and contemplate the deeper meaning behind Jacob's journey. There is nothing negative I can report about this masterpiece.

In that light, I'm glad to award this book a perfect rating of five out of five stars. It is gratifying to read. It is well-written and professionally edited. If you are looking for a novel that will entertain and enrich you, this book is worth embarking on.

American Odyssey
View: on Bookshelves
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Your review is truly beautiful, Jane; I love your choice of words and the way you describe your feelings about this book.
I'm not very used to graphic novels, however you managed to make me want to discover Jacob's journey. I'm intrigued by the way he deals with such events in his life.
Thank you a lot, keep up the good work! :)
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

anais_ wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 12:56 Your review is truly beautiful, Jane; I love your choice of words and the way you describe your feelings about this book.
I'm not very used to graphic novels, however you managed to make me want to discover Jacob's journey. I'm intrigued by the way he deals with such events in his life.
Thank you a lot, keep up the good work! :)
Thank you so much for the kind words.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”