Watchmen by Alan Moore

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Watchmen by Alan Moore

Post by dreamthewilderness »

Such a compelling read! And its graphic novel/multimedia qualities bring it so vibrantly to life. Anyone here read V for Vendetta?
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

Graphic novel is far better. Frankly, I wished they left it alone. The movie was fine, but DC double down with Before Watchmen, which was largely terrible, and now Doomsday Clock, an unnecessary way to connect the world of Watchmen to the larger DC Universe. It's decent, while being a shameless money grab. The original stands on it's own. I have no faith in the upcoming series on HBO.

At this point, I feel if Warner Brothers/DC and Disney/Marvel could make a trilogy of movies about the Mona Lisa, they would. Some art should be allowed to stand on its own.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I never even heard of Watchmen till a radio broadcast on my local station which got transferred to this other radio host for the night time slot. The host was Lou Brutus and he was super excited that his favorite graphic novel - Watchmen - was becoming a movie. He gave a spoiler-free brief and advised anyone who was interested to take up the book(s) first before going to see the movie.

It sounded interesting so I checked out my library's database and discovered the book which housed all issues under one roof. I found it fascinating that the characters were grounded in reality, so to speak, and that they were very much like everyday folks who wanted to do something rather than watch from the sidelines (yes, I'm including Doc in this). There was even a story within the story itself; similar to Urasawa's Monster with the inclusion of Obluda (The Nameless Monster).

It wasn't my first per se but it was memorable and I understood why Brutus enjoyed Rorschach's character so much. He was quiet, kept to himself most of the time, was brilliant, had a dislike toward females but addressed Silk Spectre 2 (Miss Juspeczyk as he calls her) with a lot of respect and he's a professional sugar cube bagger. Yeah the last part sounds weird but just observing him bagging them up while being watched and the watcher being completely unaware till much later says a lot.

I only saw the opening scene of the movie and didn't feel I was ready for the leap.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

These were the first graphic novels I read. I truly thought I would hate them but I didn't, I loved them and they remain some of my favorites.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Watchmen is an astounding story. It perfectly meshes characters that are both satirical of comic tropes, as well as putting them in a world that is dauntingly more realistic. It isn't a conventional superhero story, and I feel like this is the best even "parody." I say this because it takes itself seriously and tells a story that is expertly written while being completely believable.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Mark Smarter
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mark Smarter »

I would like to tho experience this graphic design novel.this sounds interesting
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

Watchmen by Alan Moore is such an incredible story - in every single aspect. The story itself is fascinating and rich, detailing a fascinating world that addresses the realities of masked vigilantes. The art is beautiful, the attention to detail is remarkable, and I learned so much about the nature of graphic novels from this story. It was fascinating to see how panels were used and played with to cause plot advances, how the art both inside and outside of the panel added to the story, and how art and words could be used to complement each other, while still providing unique details. It's definitely one of my favorite graphic novels, and it's one of the first ones I recommend to others as well.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

i found it quite boring to be honest, sorry :/
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

One of the coolest there is. There is a series now and I'm anticipating the next season.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”