Review of Sonora Pass

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Review of Sonora Pass

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Because life is so brief and uncertain, we should make the most of every opportunity to do so. The friends, family, and foes we've had throughout our lives have significantly impacted our experiences and the things we remember about our lives. The book Sonora Pass, by Jaime Olmos and illustrated by Kevin Nichols, is about friendship.

In June 1995, Esteban and Rachel met at the Veda Shrine Garden to discuss their divorce. Rachel requested that he sign over the house to her, but he refused. Esteban meets with Raul and Jonah to talk about baseball. Jonah informs his friends that his interest in baseball is limited to the Red Sox, as per instructions from his wife. They talk about Esteban's forthcoming job in Montreal while camping. Jonah decides to contact his Nuxcore contacts and offer to consult for them, allowing Esteban and Jonah to spend time together in Montreal.

The following year, Jonah and Esteban meet Celia at the Hotel de la Provence in Montreal, where they perform some songs with Jonah, Tony, Claude, and Armand. Esteban informs Claude that he and his friends used to be in the band Jabberwocky. He requested that he assist in making a band reunion celebration at the hotel possible, which Raul and Rodrigo would attend. This reunion caused a shift in the lives of these groups of friends, which you can read about in the novel Sonora Pass.

This book appealed to me for various reasons, including that it is a comic book with contents far beyond anything you might conceive. The book was slow at first, but after a few pages, I realised what a fantastic and engaging plot this is. The book is a unique blend of love, crime, and mystery, and I applaud the author's imagination. The book's graphics are also commendable, as it was able to convey messages on specific pages using only photos. Jonah was my favourite character since he was more than a buddy and more than a professional in his job, given his sacrifices for his pals, Esteban and Celia.

I found nothing to dislike about this book, and because of my likes listed above, I am rating it 5 out of 5 stars and suggesting it to anyone who enjoys comic books with a hint of crime and suspense. I encountered very few errors while reading this book, indicating that it underwent a thorough editing procedure.

Sonora Pass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirui Collins
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

I would like to read about Jonah and the sacrifices he made. Thanks for the review.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Post by Veronica Hunter »

"Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos, illustrated by Kevin Nichols, beautifully captures the essence of friendship and the profound impact it has on our lives. The narrative weaves through moments of divorce, shared interests, and unexpected reunions, showcasing how connections with friends can shape the course of our experiences.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: Shades of Rust and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

I agree with the reviewer that the book’s graphics are commendable. As I read, I took extra time on some pages to admire the art once I had finished reading the text dialogue.

This review provides a solid plot summary.
Khushi Yadav 8
Favorite Book: The Unfakeable Code®
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushi-yadav-8.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Khushi Yadav 8 »

Such an informative review, even though it's a comic book. I loved how the reviewer narrates the pros of the book and justifies the writing technique. Great work.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The mystery, suspense, and graphics all contribute to a compelling reading experience. This book is ideal for readers who enjoy crime thrillers in their graphic novels. 
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

This thorough and engaging review of "Sonora Pass" showcases your appreciation for its unique blend of genres and captivating plot. Your admiration for the author's imagination and the book's compelling graphics shines through. Thank you for your great review!

Congratulations on being BOTD!
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

The book accurately captures the essence of friendship. It is completely true that we should make most of the opportunities available to us as life is uncertain. Thanks for the insightful review.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The review paints a vivid picture of the intricate dynamics among friends, as depicted in 'Sonora Pass' by Jaime Olmos. The narrative seems to delve deep into the complexities of relationships, blending elements of love, crime, and mystery. It's intriguing how the story unfolds gradually, eventually revealing a plot that captivates the reader's attention. The praise for the book's graphics and its ability to convey messages through images adds another layer of appreciation for its craftsmanship.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Sonora Pass by Jaime Olmos is a graphic comic book about a group of friends in a band. The reunion of the Jabberwocky band will bring out old memories, drama with old flames, and a crime story. I enjoyed the illustrations in the book and would recommend it to fans of comic books. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Tal Chen
Currently Reading: Now or Never
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tal-chen.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 120%

Post by Tal Chen »

I'm someone who relies on my friends for assurance and mental peace and I feel like this book is about exacting that. Thank you for such an informative review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Sonora Pass is a riveting blend of love, crime, and mystery wrapped in a graphic novel. With its unique storytelling and captivating visuals, it takes you on a journey of friendship and life-changing reunions. Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
ADEDOYIN ADEYEUN
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ADEDOYIN ADEYEUN »

Sonora Pass" by Jaime Olmos, beautifully illustrated by Kevin Nichols, is a heartwarming journey that invites young readers to explore the wonders of nature while embracing the values of friendship and teamwork. Through captivating prose and stunning visuals, Olmos and Nichols transport readers to the breathtaking landscapes of Sonora Pass, igniting their imagination and curiosity along the way. The story not only entertains but also serves as a gentle reminder of the importance of preserving our natural environment and cherishing the bonds we share with others. "Sonora Pass" is more than just a children's book; it's a heartfelt celebration of the beauty that surrounds us and the connections that enrich our lives. It's a must-read for families seeking both adventure and meaningful life lessons within the pages of a book.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

The cover of Sonora Pass by Jaime Olmosis is very appealing. I love books with illustrations, so I'm quite sure I'll enjoy reading this book. Congratulations on BOTD.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”