Review of Gone Bodfishin’

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jnapika D
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Review of Gone Bodfishin’

Post by Jnapika D »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gone Bodfishin’" by David Done.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We follow Luke, a part-time employee and college student, in David Clark Done’s comic book Gone Bodfishin’. One evening, after an early shift at work, examining tax forms at a corporation, he meets Al, a cab driver. Al tells him he is almost there with his dream of establishing a movie set; all he needs to do is earn some money to get there. If Luke is interested, Al invites him to come help him build a movie set. Since Al used to be a stuntman, he could also teach him how to work as one in the movies. Luke finds that working as a history professor and getting a Ph.D. aren't as exciting as they once were after graduating from college. He realizes quickly that night that he wants to do something interesting with his life. After deciding to accept Al's offer, he sets out on an expedition to Bodfish Town the following day. He has made the decision to become a stuntman. Is the movie set thing real? Will Luke succeed in achieving his American dream, or will this prove to be an even bigger disappointment than his life before? Will they be able to build a movie set on their own, assuming all of this is real? Will that even be successful? You'll have to read the book to find out.

Luke is an interesting character who decides to give up his current life to pursue something intriguing and satisfying. Al serves as the group's brain, while Dean is witty and mischievous. In this gripping tale, Luke is the main protagonist, but we also get to see intriguing glimpses into the lives of other characters. The dialogue is also designed to mimic ordinary, dialect-speaking conversations because it's a comic book, which enhances the reading experience. I don’t think the book was professionally edited because there are a few grammatical and typographical errors throughout, but it didn’t take away from the reading experience in any way. Another negative aspect of the book is that, after he went to Kern County, he never spoke with his ex-girlfriend; therefore, there was never any closure between them. Either way, I would have liked to see some form of closure between them. Other than that, I don't think anything else needs to be changed. This book is not appropriate for young readers due to its profanity and sexual content. Considering the above-mentioned aspects, I would give this book four out of five stars because it was an incredible read, and I really enjoyed embarking on this exciting adventure with Luke and the others.

Gone Bodfishin’
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirui Collins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

Luke's decision to be a stuntman was a bold step. Thanks for the review.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Mystery in the Metaverse by Nick Airus

Post by Abiodunakinola »

"Gone Bodfishin'" by David Clark Done unfolds as an engaging comic book following Luke, a college student turned aspiring stuntman. The dynamic characters, particularly Luke, Al, and Dean, add depth to the story. The use of ordinary dialogue enhances the comic book experience, even though the narrative appears to lack closure between Luke and his ex-girlfriend.
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Your review of 'Gone Bodfishin’' by David Clark Done paints a vivid picture of Luke's transformative journey. I appreciate your insights into the depth of the characters, especially how Luke's shift from academia to a stuntman reflects a relatable quest for fulfillment. It's interesting how the book uses colloquial dialogue to enhance authenticity. Your point about the lack of professional editing is well-noted, yet it's great to hear it didn't detract from the overall experience. The unresolved storyline with his ex-girlfriend does seem like a missed opportunity for character development. Thanks for the heads-up on the mature content. Your review makes me eager to explore this adventurous narrative!
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

"Gone Bodfishin'" by David Clark Done appears to be an adventurous comic book that follows Luke, a college student and part-time employee, as he embarks on a journey to pursue an exciting new path. The encounter with Al, the cab driver with dreams of establishing a movie set, introduces an element of spontaneity and change in Luke's life.
Brittany Arendse
Currently Reading: Children of Dune (Dune, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-arendse.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Brittany Arendse »

Thank you for your insightful review of "Gone Bodfishin'!" Luke's decision to ditch his academic path for a potentially exciting adventure is a relatable and captivating hook. His journey may resonates with many who have ever questioned their life choices and yearned for something more. The use of dialect-based dialogue adds a layer of realism and it almost feels like eavesdropping on real conversations, drawing you deeper into the characters' world.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Involuntary Reroute by Robert Laney
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 126%

Post by Martina Sette »

Personally, I appreciate the character depth and engaging plot in "Gone Bodfishin'." Despite editing issues and unresolved subplots, the overall narrative kept me invested in Luke's pursuit of a thrilling new chapter.
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Neha Panikar »

I like how an ordinary story of a person considering career change, and discovering what's on the other side can be so thrilling. Shows the creativity in the plot by the author. Thanks for the detailed review!!
valentiareshoketswe
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by valentiareshoketswe »

I think that Luke's decision to give up his life and do something exciting is bold. He is taking a risk, I would like to read the book to find out whether he does make it as a stuntman or he took the wrong decision.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Back to Bremo by Debby Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

Gone Bodfishin' is a humorous tale of friends trying to make a living in the USA. There is a lot of fun, jokes, and emotions involved as the book takes you across a rollercoaster ride of their adventures, leaving you rolling on the floor laughing. Congratulations on BOTD, and best wishes for future projects.
DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duncan-tshepang-mathebula.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA »

Great review. I would love to read the book and find out what happens on Luke's journey as he decide to be a stuntman on a movie, as he finds his life boring.
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

Luke's life as a history professor suddenly seems boring and he goes on to work in a movie set along with his friend Dean. Will they be successful in building a movie set. Let's find out. Has Luke taken the correct decision to give up his current life to pursue an interesting path. Congrats on BOTD.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

The review nicely sums up what the book is about - the story and the people in it. The book shows that life has lots of surprises and chances, and you can find happiness and success in unexpected spots. It teaches about friends, being creative, and feeling nostalgic. The main message is that it's good to follow your dreams and what you love, even if they seem a bit different or risky.
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

This tale intricately weaves the allure of the unknown with the pursuit of fulfillment, offering a suspenseful narrative about unconventional dreams.

In "Gone Bodfishin" disillusioned college student "Luke" joins cab driver "AI" on a quest to build a movie set and become a stuntman to redefining his Amarican dream.

I'd recommend to read once for its engaging storyline and exploration of unconventional path to fulfillment.

Thanks for the point to point detailed review 👍
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Told in the format of a comic and set in the 1960s, today's BOTD is a fictional tale that follows Luke as he drops out of college and sets out on his search of the American Dream. Readers will love the characters and interesting storyline. I'm looking forward to finding out if Luke makes it in the real world and finds the success he's seeking! Thanks for the great review! It was really helpful! :-)

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”