Comic to Screen Adaptations: Good or Bad?

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ava_21
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Comic to Screen Adaptations: Good or Bad?

Post by ava_21 »

I think sometimes this can go really well, and other times it can go pretty bad or -okay-. I think it depends on the story and how much the person who wrote the comic is involved. But, I think that because the comic industry isn't as big or popular as it was before, I think it's really good that they do become shows/movies, this allows the comic to grow a bigger audience.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I generally enjoy movies adapted from comicbooks, and I am particularly fond of the MCU movies. The filmmakers do have to remember that what works in a comicbook doesn't always work in a movie or TV show. One of the X-Men movies actually spotlighted this fact when Cyclops asked Wolverine if he'd prefer to wear yellow spandex after the latter complained about the X-Men's black uniforms. Wolverine's yellow costume works in a comicbook, but it would look ridiculous in a live-action adaptation.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Much like with novel adaptations, some are terrible, some are average, and some are actually pretty good. Totally depends on the direction the filmmakers go with the original material. Being faithful to the source material is always most satisfying for the fans but we do have some great movies out there that took tons of liberties
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I believe adaptations are okay. I would forever think that books are way superior to movies o series, but as long as they remain true to the book they are a nice way of bringing these characters to life. I believe some good adaptations would be the flash, Jessica Jones and Arrow.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

When a comic book is made into a movie it should feel different. A movie shouldn't feel like a comic. Filmmakers like Nolan, Taika Waititi, Sam Raimi have made comic book adaptations and fused them with their own sensibilities. Filmmakers shouldn't blindly follow comics and use their own imagination and intelligence.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

I think they are good only if the adaptation of comics to movies or series maintains the expected quality. If the producers and writers do a bad job in the adaptation, it damages the comic book in the cinematic universe; you can see an example of everything that can go wrong in the Green Lantern movie.
Awa Momoh
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Secret Guardians in the London Underground
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Awa Momoh »

Good but the producer should not veer a lot from the original plot, the casting should well done, that is, the authenticity of the characters, places, dialogue, the plot should be retained
Awa Momoh
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Secret Guardians in the London Underground
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Awa Momoh »

They are a welcome development as far as the plot and materials used in the book are replicated almost entirely on screen.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Personally, I think they're the best adaptations to exist. They're visually pleasing and appeal to the masses even when they go off script (off the script of the comics). And so few people gave access to comics such that, we wouldn't even know if they're accurate or not.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Somehow, I think no, the jokes wouldn't hit the right way. But if it explored Wade's character in more depth, I'd read it. I'd like a detailed account of him. He's an entertainer.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”