Favorite DC character?

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Favorite DC character?

Post by Lil Reads »

Since there's a topic for Marvel characters, I felt like we need a DC one.

I've got a soft spot for Jonathan Crane, aka Scarecrow. He's this unassuming and kind of odd looking guy who utilizes fear to manipulate people. Throughout his comic book history, Scarecrow has used his scientific knowledge and PhD in psychology to create chemical compounds that have made people terrified over everything, lose all inhibitions so people are reckless, and making people terrified of Batman's alter-ego Bruce Wayne.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
burningeyes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by burningeyes »

Hands down "Batman" is my favorite. The only super hero with no powers, just endless money. That is why i rate batman number one in my book.
Nwavemor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nwavemor »

Mine is the flash! Fastest man alive, I've always had this craze for speed.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Catwoman! I have always loved her. However, I find the female characters in DC are more sympathetic and misunderstood than the Male ones. For example, Poison Ivy simply wants plants to have respect. She is my second favorite.

I absolutely love the Gotham City Sirens narratives and I'm sad that the Harley Quinn movie is no longer that.
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

burningeyes wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 17:30 Hands down "Batman" is my favorite. The only super hero with no powers, just endless money. That is why i rate batman number one in my book.
I am definitely a Batman fan, but I like more than just him. Non-comic fans seem to think there's just Batman, Flash, and Superman for DC heroes, but there are so many more! I like that DC is a little dark (the Rebirth suicide arc made me cry a little because... oh, teenage Bruce, you should not have those thoughts) and addresses other contemporary concerns, including transgender (Victoria October)and LGBTQ+ (the Sirens, Batwoman).
Sgt_Pepper98

Post by Sgt_Pepper98 »

Batman all the way. Its cool to see just a normal human guy with certain skills fight to save the world alongside all of these (over)powerful superheroes. I also really like the Hal Jordan Green Lantern as a second favorite!
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

I really like Harley Quinn, and I don't care if that's strange or not. She's just such a fun crazy character, and I've really loved reading her comics recently. Her backstory with the Joker is one of the saddest things I've ever read and it's nice to see her not dwell in it and keep on going strong. Catwoman and Poison Ivy are also pretty great, though I'll admit I still have a ways to go until I know all about them and what made them the way they are. It still doesn't mean I don't like them, though! :)
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

scratchcat318 wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 22:37 I really like Harley Quinn, and I don't care if that's strange or not. She's just such a fun crazy character, and I've really loved reading her comics recently. Her backstory with the Joker is one of the saddest things I've ever read and it's nice to see her not dwell in it and keep on going strong. Catwoman and Poison Ivy are also pretty great, though I'll admit I still have a ways to go until I know all about them and what made them the way they are. It still doesn't mean I don't like them, though! :)
Harley is a LOT of fun and I LOVE where Conner/Palmiottie went with her! They started with her in I think New 52 and only recently retired from her storyline. They changed her from this obsessed/abused fanatic to a very strong woman. She may not be entirely a "good" guy, but she has good intentions. How she goes about acting on those... that's a different story.

If you like Harley, Poison, and Catwoman, I HIGHLY recommend you read the Gotham City Sirens books. There are only two volumes and it puts these three ladies together. They aren't inherently bad, but rather a bit misguided, and it leads to some adventures.

Poison Ivy also has her own 6-issue mini-series that came out last year (I think?) and Catwoman's Rebirth series just started--I'm so excited about it because Joelle Jones does fantastic work and the art is different and beautiful. You probably want to read some of the Prelude to the Wedding issues of Batman, but it isn't necessary. Harley still has her ongoing series and random spin-offs (Gang of Harleys, Little Black Book).
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html

Post by HailKingEbi »

Batman! All day every day! Batman is the absolute best in the world. He's so much more than a billionaire. It's amazing that he's one of the big three. A man with no powers that can hold his own and stand side by side with gods like Wonder Woman and Superman. He commands fear and respect. Batman is KING.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Chisom13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chisom13.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Chisom13 »

I really like the Batman with his cold behaviour and nothing in his heart but darkness, but still I prefer the flash because of his speed
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html

Post by HailKingEbi »

Batman is the best Dc Hero. there's also green arrow, the flash, etc
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Superman is all time favourite and wonder women too is really adorable
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I use to love reading the Aquaman comics. Always wanted to be a mermaid.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

Batman and his clan of children obviously. I used to have a phrase when I was kinda obsessed with them.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Yungest Kidd204

Post by Yungest Kidd204 »

I prefer the flash. He has amazing powers that he could use to save a life withnin a twinkle of an eye. What an unchallengeable speedster!

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”