Steampunk Genre Discussion

For May 2016, we will be reading Steampunk!
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Steampunk Genre Discussion

Post by kio »

Steampunk is defined as “a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.” To me, this genre is a “What-if” genre. It can take place in any time period from the 19th century on, but typically sticks to the etiquette of that time period. Magic may exist as long as the novel sticks to the steam-powered technology. The idea is that, instead of electricity taking off, steam power did.

So, for this month's discussion, consider these questions:

1. What book did you read? Would you recommend it? Why or why not?

2. What other genres did it incorporate?

3. How does the book you read adapt steam-powered technology to work like electricity?

4. How does this genre different from other types of fiction you've read?

Have fun :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I finished my steampunk book!

1) The Golden Owl by Lana Axe. I highly recommend it! It is such a cute story about an unlikely pair, a tinkered cat and an ordinary mouse, who come together and save the day. The writing style is easily accessible to children, but as an adult, I was also able to enjoy the read.

2) It's also definitely a children's book and a little thriller/action (children's version, of course).

3) Cali's basic senses has been tinkered by her human friend and inventor, Lionel. Her ability to see things from a far distance is mentioned quite frequently, and it is due to the technology instilled in her. As far as steam-powered? I'm thinking her ability to jump extremely long distances with ease are all due to steam-powered technology to work like electricity.

4) This was actually my first book in the steampunk genre. I would say it was different because the main character is more enhanced, through the use of technology, than what I'm used to (especially for a cat!).

I loved this book, and I'm glad steampunk was chosen for May's genre because it made me try something new! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

hsimone wrote:I finished my steampunk book!

1) The Golden Owl by Lana Axe. I highly recommend it! It is such a cute story about an unlikely pair, a tinkered cat and an ordinary mouse, who come together and save the day. The writing style is easily accessible to children, but as an adult, I was also able to enjoy the read.

2) It's also definitely a children's book and a little thriller/action (children's version, of course).

3) Cali's basic senses has been tinkered by her human friend and inventor, Lionel. Her ability to see things from a far distance is mentioned quite frequently, and it is due to the technology instilled in her. As far as steam-powered? I'm thinking her ability to jump extremely long distances with ease are all due to steam-powered technology to work like electricity.

4) This was actually my first book in the steampunk genre. I would say it was different because the main character is more enhanced, through the use of technology, than what I'm used to (especially for a cat!).

I loved this book, and I'm glad steampunk was chosen for May's genre because it made me try something new! :)
Sound excellent.

Vermont Reviews
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I just picked up "The Parasol Protectorate" series by Gail Carriger. I am a little ways in but I love it so far!!!
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Vermont Reviews wrote: Sound excellent.

Vermont Reviews
It really was. :D

-- 26 May 2016, 20:56 --
batkinson6490 wrote:I just picked up "The Parasol Protectorate" series by Gail Carriger. I am a little ways in but I love it so far!!!
Awesome! You'll have to let us know how you like it! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Post by LarkSpur25 »

I haven't read steam punk before but am interested in it. Does anyone have any suggestions on a few good books in this genre to start with?
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

LarkSpur25 wrote:I haven't read steam punk before but am interested in it. Does anyone have any suggestions on a few good books in this genre to start with?

Check out Steampunk Fairy Tales on Amazon

It is free I believe.

Vermont Reviews
LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Post by LarkSpur25 »

Vermont Reviews wrote:
LarkSpur25 wrote:I haven't read steam punk before but am interested in it. Does anyone have any suggestions on a few good books in this genre to start with?

It is free I believe.

Vermont Reviews

Thank You! I'll be sure to check it out!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

LarkSpur25 wrote:
Vermont Reviews wrote:

It is free I believe.

Vermont Reviews

Thank You! I'll be sure to check it out!
Also look here: Steampunk Genre Discussion Help
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I read Clockwork Fairtales a while back. I didn't enjoy every story (it's an anthology), but I enjoyed it overall, and one of the stories I really loved :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you, sounds to my taste. I will start it today. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Vermont Reviews wrote:

It is free I believe.

Vermont Reviews
Hm...that does sound interesting. Yes, you are right, Vermont Reviews, the kindle version is free!

-- 27 May 2016, 09:17 --
gali wrote:

Thank you, sounds to my taste. I will start it today. :)
Awesome, let me know what you think! :)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

Vermont Reviews wrote:

It is free I believe.

Vermont Reviews
Thank you, got it as well. :)

-- May 27th, 2016, 10:32 am --
hsimone wrote:

Of course. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:
Of course. :)
:handgestures-thumbup:

-- 27 May 2016, 09:41 --
Gravy wrote:I read Clockwork Fairtales a while back. I didn't enjoy every story (it's an anthology), but I enjoyed it overall, and one of the stories I really loved :)
Gravy, which story did you love?
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

:oops:

I can't remember the name, or the author.....
I'll go see if I can find a list of the stories, I'm pretty sure it was the last one!

-- 27 May 2016, 01:55 --

Okay, I found the table of contents:
TABLE OF CONTENTS

La Valse by K. W. Jeter

Fair Vasyl by Steven Harper

The Hollow Hounds by Kat Richardson

The Kings of Mount Golden by Paul Di Filippo

You Will Attend Until Beauty Awakens by Jay Lake

Mose and the Automatic Fireman by Nancy A. Collins

The Clockwork Suit by G. K. Hayes

The Steampiper, the Stovepiper, and the Pied Piper of New Hamelin, Texas, by Gregory Nicoll

The Mechanical Wings by Pip Ballantine
I was right, it was The Mechanical Wings :)
I also enjoyed Fair Vasyl, and The Hollow Hounds.
The others I either didn't enjoy as much, or can't really remember (it was over a year ago that I read it, so a bit more than a while, now that I think of it :lol: ).

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “May 2016 Genre Discussion”