Steampunk Genre Discussion

For May 2016, we will be reading Steampunk!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Steampunk Genre Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for looking it up! It looks like quite the collection of stories.

The title alone, The Mechanical Wings, peaks my interest. It must have been a pretty good short story for you to remember it in an anthology that you read over a year ago! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Gravy wrote::oops:

I can't remember the name, or the author.....
I'll go see if I can find a list of the stories, I'm pretty sure it was the last one!

-- 27 May 2016, 01:55 --

Okay, I found the table of contents:
TABLE OF CONTENTS

La Valse by K. W. Jeter

Fair Vasyl by Steven Harper

The Hollow Hounds by Kat Richardson

The Kings of Mount Golden by Paul Di Filippo

You Will Attend Until Beauty Awakens by Jay Lake

Mose and the Automatic Fireman by Nancy A. Collins

The Clockwork Suit by G. K. Hayes

The Steampiper, the Stovepiper, and the Pied Piper of New Hamelin, Texas, by Gregory Nicoll

The Mechanical Wings by Pip Ballantine
I was right, it was The Mechanical Wings :)
I also enjoyed Fair Vasyl, and The Hollow Hounds.
The others I either didn't enjoy as much, or can't really remember (it was over a year ago that I read it, so a bit more than a while, now that I think of it :lol: ).
Thanks Gravy
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I realized I posted this in the help instead of here, so I'm posting it both places:

For this month's discussion, I read "Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger." Sophronia is a tomboy living in Victorian London. She'd rather climb a tree or rig a dumbwaiter than do embroidery or drink tea. When her mom sends her off to Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality, Sophronia discovers that her new finishing school is really a training school for spies and even some of the teachers are supernatural. One of her students, Monique de Paloose, is not who she seems. While pretending to be Mademoiselle Geraldine at Sophronia's house, she hid a prototype that everyone is after. What are her plans for the prototype? Who is Monique working for?

One element I noticed unique to this genre is the steam-powered technology. The airship is powered by coal, balloons, and steam. I also noticed a lot of furnishing made of polished wood and brass, which seems to be a common element in steampunk. There's also a romance element, not uncommonly romantic interest in the help. In this book, the romantic element comes between Sophronia and a Sooty (person who feeds the engines) names Soap. It seems each steampunk novel also seems to add their own twists on the rules in their steampunk world.

Overall, I'd rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The story starts out a bit slow, but the characters are unique and entertaining. I liked the world-building in this book. The supernatural, flying, and shapeshifting elements seemed to fit well into the world without superimposing on the plot. I would definitely recommend this book to fans of paranormal mysteries.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for looking it up! It looks like quite the collection of stories.

The title alone, The Mechanical Wings, peaks my interest. It must have been a pretty good short story for you to remember it in an anthology that you read over a year ago! :)
:tiphat:
I really did enjoy it :)

-- 28 May 2016, 22:05 --
Vermont Reviews wrote:Thanks Gravy
:tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>

Thanks

Vermont Reviews
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Poll for June is up. Don't forget to vote :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have finished "The Golden Owl" and loved it!

Here it my review of it:

What an enchanting tale! I loved, loved, loved the book and found it an incredible entertaining read! "The Golden Owl" is book one in the Clockwork Calico series, a delightful middle grade steampunk and a great introduction to those unfamiliar with the genre. I absolutely adore steampunk, and this one quickly became one of my favorites. I was drawn to this book and its unlikely heroine, a cat no less, right from the start. This book just oozes a sort of charm and hilarious innocence that is impossible not to love.

The story is penned in the third point of view, and told from the perspective of a cat, imagine that! Though I am a dog person, this is one cat I wouldn't mind having. Calico Cogg is not a regular cat. She was rescued from the streets of Ticswyk by the inventor and self-proclaimed master tinker Lionel Cogg. She has been fitted with metallic implants to enhance her natural feline abilities, thus becoming a clockwork Calico. She is the cat version of Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar man, and the "marvel of the ages".

When her owner, oops sorry her friend since cats don't have owners, is kidnapped by his arch enemy, Cali steps to the rescue. With the aid of unlikely friends such as Emitt the mouse and Nellie the horse, a long story, she comes to his rescue. It is up to her to save her friend, stop a master criminal in his tracks, and prevent a major heist. Who thought that sleuthing was such a dangerous work!

Tiny clockwork spiders, corrupt Guilds, golden owl, talking animals, loyalty, true friends, cool inventions, street smart mouse, and mechanically enhanced cat are some of the ingredients of this wonderful book.

It's a fun, quirky, innocent and highly original tale with delightful details and a heroin you can't help but adore. Though it's written just right for a middle-grade audience, it will appeal to older readers as well, and it will make even the most reluctant young reader unable to put this one down. The author’s writing style is very engaging and easy to read. It does have a slow start, but it picks up steam literally (excuse the pan).

It does require a suspension of belief, but under Lana Axe’s deft touch the unbelievable becomes believable and talking animals seem perfectly plausible. I recommend it for all audience, but especially to people who have owned or love cats - because yes, you will laugh. A LOT!

The book was a treat to read from start to finish, and I absolutely loved it! The story stands alone very well, even though it is the first book in the series, and I can't wait to read the next one!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Vermont Reviews

Great Review

Vermont Reviews
gali

Post by gali »

Vermont Reviews wrote:Great Review

Vermont Reviews
:text-thankyouyellow:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote:I have finished "The Golden Owl" and loved it!

Here it my review of it:What an enchanting tale! I loved, loved, loved the book and found it an incredible entertaining read! "The Golden Owl" is book one in the Clockwork Calico series, a delightful middle grade steampunk and a great introduction to those unfamiliar with the genre. I absolutely adore steampunk, and this one quickly became one of my favorites. I was drawn to this book and its unlikely heroine, a cat no less, right from the start. This book just oozes a sort of charm and hilarious innocence that is impossible not to love.

The story is penned in the third point of view, and told from the perspective of a cat, imagine that! Though I am a dog person, this is one cat I wouldn't mind having. Calico Cogg is not a regular cat. She was rescued from the streets of Ticswyk by the inventor and self-proclaimed master tinker Lionel Cogg. She has been fitted with metallic implants to enhance her natural feline abilities, thus becoming a clockwork Calico. She is the cat version of Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar man, and the "marvel of the ages".

When her owner, oops sorry her friend since cats don't have owners, is kidnapped by his arch enemy, Cali steps to the rescue. With the aid of unlikely friends such as Emitt the mouse and Nellie the horse, a long story, she comes to his rescue. It is up to her to save her friend, stop a master criminal in his tracks, and prevent a major heist. Who thought that sleuthing was such a dangerous work!

Tiny clockwork spiders, corrupt Guilds, golden owl, talking animals, loyalty, true friends, cool inventions, street smart mouse, and mechanically enhanced cat are some of the ingredients of this wonderful book.

It's a fun, quirky, innocent and highly original tale with delightful details and a heroin you can't help but adore. Though it's written just right for a middle-grade audience, it will appeal to older readers as well, and it will make even the most reluctant young reader unable to put this one down. The author’s writing style is very engaging and easy to read. It does have a slow start, but it picks up steam literally (excuse the pan).

It does require a suspension of belief, but under Lana Axe’s deft touch the unbelievable becomes believable and talking animals seem perfectly plausible. I recommend it for all audience, but especially to people who have owned or love cats - because yes, you will laugh. A LOT!

The book was a treat to read from start to finish, and I absolutely loved it! The story stands alone very well, even though it is the first book in the series, and I can't wait to read the next one!
Well, with two such glowing opinions, I'll have to add it to my list :lol:
Thank you :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote:

Here it my review of it:What an enchanting tale! I loved, loved, loved the book and found it an incredible entertaining read! "The Golden Owl" is book one in the Clockwork Calico series, a delightful middle grade steampunk and a great introduction to those unfamiliar with the genre. I absolutely adore steampunk, and this one quickly became one of my favorites. I was drawn to this book and its unlikely heroine, a cat no less, right from the start. This book just oozes a sort of charm and hilarious innocence that is impossible not to love.

Well, with two such glowing opinions, I'll have to add it to my list :lol:
Thank you :)
I think you will like it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Beautifully written, gali! You captured everything I was thinking and more. If I didn't read the book already, I would say that I need to because it sounds like such a delightful story! :D

I am so glad that you enjoyed it! I was just thinking about a couple of friends of mine who own a cat and wonder if they would enjoy it...they're not big readers themselves, but Cali is so adorable and sweet that maybe they would give it a chance... :eusa-think:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:

Beautifully written, gali! You captured everything I was thinking and more. If I didn't read the book already, I would say that I need to because it sounds like such a delightful story! :D

I am so glad that you enjoyed it! I was just thinking about a couple of friends of mine who own a cat and wonder if they would enjoy it...they're not big readers themselves, but Cali is so adorable and sweet that maybe they would give it a chance... :eusa-think:
Thank you for your kind words. I loved your review as well. :D

I enjoyed the story very much and look forward to book #2. Cali is adorable indeed! :animals-cat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:

Thank you for your kind words. I loved your review as well. :D

I enjoyed the story very much and look forward to book #2. Cali is adorable indeed! :animals-cat:
Thank you! I'll definitely be on the lookout for book #2, as well. :D
I love this smilie! :animals-cat:
Heidi

Vermont Reviews

Great job.

Vermont Reviews

Return to “May 2016 Genre Discussion”