Supernatural and Horror/Spooky Tales Book Discussion

For October 2018, we will be reading supernatural and/or horror/spooky tales.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Supernatural and Horror/Spooky Tales Book Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

As some of us may celebrate Halloween, I thought it would be fun to read a horror/spooky tale or even a book that has supernatural elements.

:scared-ghostface: Supernatural: Books in this genre include some kind of contradiction to our typical world. These contradictions or elements typically cannot be explained by nature or science, and can be assumed they were created and/or originated from otherworldly forces.

:scared-eek: Horror/Spooky Tales: These are meant to spook, disgust, and/or frighten us as readers. These books can sometimes leave us having nightmares or just merely startle us. Not all has to be so frightening or gross, though. Children's spooky books can be a source of entertainment and clean fun.

Many times the two genres intertwine and several books may contain elements that are both supernatural and horror/spooky.

Hopefully, it'll be a fun and spooooky month! :shock2: :D

What book(s) have you read or are reading for this month?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have started "A night in the lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny, and I think it is the perfect book for this month. It is written in the form of a diary whose author is an enchanted dog. It takes place during the month of October, one entry per day, so I read one entry per day as well. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:15 I have started "A night in the lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny, and I think it is the perfect book for this month. It is written in the form of a diary whose author is an enchanted dog. It takes place during the month of October, one entry per day, so I read one entry per day as well. :)
That actually sounds super cute! (Maybe because I just love dogs :character-grommit: ) I'll be curious to hear about what you thought at the end of the month!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:41
gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:15 I have started "A night in the lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny, and I think it is the perfect book for this month. It is written in the form of a diary whose author is an enchanted dog. It takes place during the month of October, one entry per day, so I read one entry per day as well. :)
That actually sounds super cute! (Maybe because I just love dogs :character-grommit: ) I'll be curious to hear about what you thought at the end of the month!
Sure! I love dogs as well! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

The book I'm starting with this month is A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and I'm excited! I'm curious about the big monster that shows up at Conor's window one night and what truth is he looking for.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:43
hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:41
Sure! I love dogs as well! :)
:animals-dogrun: :romance-heartbeating:
Heidi

HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I have 'Anatomy of a Ghost' in my shelves and I'm hoping to get to it this month. This is a great category for the month of October, thanks for picking it!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

BookReader+6 wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:32 I have 'Anatomy of a Ghost' in my shelves and I'm hoping to get to it this month. This is a great category for the month of October, thanks for picking it!
Nice, it sure does sound like a perfect book for this month! I hope you enjoy it :tiphat: No worries, I'm glad you'll be participating. :D
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently finished a book that would probably fall under the supernatural aspect of this month's discussion. I read The Bigfoot Paradox by Rebecca Coyte. Originally, this book was meant to be part of last month's discussion, but I think it fits well here as its main focus is Bigfoot/Sasquatch. It was a cute story portraying how gentle these creatures are, their existence, and a young boy who discovers something unique about himself and a sense of purpose. I gave it a 3/4 stars and I feel children would enjoy this short read.
Heidi

Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:45 The book I'm starting with this month is A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and I'm excited! I'm curious about the big monster that shows up at Conor's window one night and what truth is he looking for.
I read this one about two years ago (when I heard they were making a movie of it). I read it on a two-hour flight - so it's a quick read. But not at ALL what I expected! I am a HUGE fan of Patrick Ness. In fact, he is the author of one of my favourite series (Chaos Walking) - which I would UBER recommend.
Please let me know what you think!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Bianka Walter wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 14:17
hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:45 The book I'm starting with this month is A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and I'm excited! I'm curious about the big monster that shows up at Conor's window one night and what truth is he looking for.
I read this one about two years ago (when I heard they were making a movie of it). I read it on a two-hour flight - so it's a quick read. But not at ALL what I expected! I am a HUGE fan of Patrick Ness. In fact, he is the author of one of my favourite series (Chaos Walking) - which I would UBER recommend.
I finished reading it and it was awesome! My gosh, my heart was so affected by Conor and other children who experience something similar. You're right, it isn't what I expected either, but it was sooo good! I actually never read anything by Patrick Ness other than this one, but I'm definitely going to add more books of his on my to-list. I've actually been wanting to read The Knife Never Letting Go for a while now. Thank you for recommending this series, I'm definitely checking it out!

The "monster" in the book was scary, but not in the sense that I was expecting to be scary. I found this part so creative of the author and I loved how he brought the symbolism of the monster to light. I absolutely loved this and would also highly recommend it!
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 19:10
I finished reading it and it was awesome! My gosh, my heart was so affected by Conor and other children who experience something similar. You're right, it isn't what I expected either, but it was sooo good! I actually never read anything by Patrick Ness other than this one, but I'm definitely going to add more books of his on my to-list. I've actually been wanting to read The Knife Never Letting Go for a while now. Thank you for recommending this series, I'm definitely checking it out!

The "monster" in the book was scary, but not in the sense that I was expecting to be scary. I found this part so creative of the author and I loved how he brought the symbolism of the monster to light. I absolutely loved this and would also highly recommend it!
I'm so glad you enjoyed this! It was such an amazing story. It got me a little. Tissues come in handy. :lol:

The film version is pretty good, but the book is still better. ❤

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Shince Peter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shince Peter »

I read an amazing story called MAYAVI. Its absolutely fabulous.Its all about Mayavi and his friends Raju and Radha.Mayavi have so many supernatural powers, he has a red stick in hand.He can able to fly in sky.Enemes of Mayavi are Kuttusan Dakini and Luttappi.This story is very funny horror and adventures
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Shince Peter wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 01:14 I read an amazing story called MAYAVI. Its absolutely fabulous.Its all about Mayavi and his friends Raju and Radha.Mayavi have so many supernatural powers, he has a red stick in hand.He can able to fly in sky.Enemes of Mayavi are Kuttusan Dakini and Luttappi.This story is very funny horror and adventures
This does sound like a fun and spooky book! Thank you for sharing. :tiphat:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 23:41
hsimone wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 19:10

I'm so glad you enjoyed this! It was such an amazing story. It got me a little. Tissues come in handy. :lol:

The film version is pretty good, but the book is still better. ❤
Oh, it got to me, too :)

Books seem to always do better than the movie adaptations, but it's good to know that the movie was pretty good, too. I'm excited to see it!
Heidi

Return to “October 2018 Genre Discussion”