Stephen King Movie Adaptations

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
maynard
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Stephen King Movie Adaptations

Post by maynard »

I disagree about "The Mist" being terrible, its just too a little too different and depressing specially the ending but its powerful indeed.
Jssherr

Post by Jssherr »

Some of his newer books are so long ..over 800 pages..One wonders how a movie adaption could be made without losing the impact of the book itself.
aakozy

Post by aakozy »

The movie is rarely ever better than the book, and sometimes the movie actually lives up to the book.
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Would love to see Cell made into a well done movie.

Would also love to see Dragon's Eye.
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

Va_treehugger wrote:Would love to see Cell made into a well done movie.

Would also love to see Dragon's Eye.
Agree with Cell, but not with Eye of the Dragon. Eye of the Dragon was the one Stephen King I almost had to put down because it did nothing for me. The only reason I forced myself to finish was because I paid full price for it.
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Agree with Cell, but not with Eye of the Dragon. Eye of the Dragon was the one Stephen King I almost had to put down because it did nothing for me. The only reason I forced myself to finish was because I paid full price for it.
I can understand that. I liked EotD because it was different for him and I am a fantasy kind of person. It is not one of my favorites of his, but I think it would be interesting to see.
maynard

Post by maynard »

I think the best movie adaptation from his stories was "The Shawnshank Redemption". Director plays a very big role in crafting a great movie and then comes the cast.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

^ Also, Carrie, Misery and the 1997 movie of The Shining were great adaptations.
You only live once.....so live!
Jonnn

Post by Jonnn »

They have made so many adaptions of his stuff. Some were great: Shawshank, Misery, Carrie, Stand By Me, Running Man, Pet Cemetary, 1408 (much better than I expected, better than the short) ,The Mist, IT (great atmosphere in parts)
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Mr. King seems to be very busy.

I just checked out his movies on IMDB and he has 9 of his works "In Development". This includes Carrie, Pet Cemetery, The Dark Tower and It.

He has 4 items in Pre Production or just finished inclucing Creepshow.

I guess my favorite adaptation would be Stand by Me. And I LOVE his show Haven.

My son and I are currently watching Cujo.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Va_treehugger wrote:Mr. King seems to be very busy.

I just checked out his movies on IMDB and he has 9 of his works "In Development". This includes Carrie, Pet Cemetery, The Dark Tower and It.

He has 4 items in Pre Production or just finished inclucing Creepshow.

I guess my favorite adaptation would be Stand by Me. And I LOVE his show Haven.

My son and I are currently watching Cujo.
He has already made movies on the 1st 2 movies on your list, unless he is making a remake and i have heard nothing on that score. :?

Dark Tower has now been split into a tv series (set to air on HBO) and a movie, both for 2012.
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Yeah, they are doing them again.

Stephen Kingman, I am glad you replied. I wanted to talk to you. You really did not like the book Bag of Bones? I saw the 2 part Mini-Series and REALLY liked it. Thought it was very much like Peter Straub's book Ghost Story. Liked the show so much I bought the book. Any words of wisdom before I attempt it?
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Va_treehugger wrote:Yeah, they are doing them again.

Stephen Kingman, I am glad you replied. I wanted to talk to you. You really did not like the book Bag of Bones? I saw the 2 part Mini-Series and REALLY liked it. Thought it was very much like Peter Straub's book Ghost Story. Liked the show so much I bought the book. Any words of wisdom before I attempt it?

Really? Wow what an awful idea, Carrie is a classic and it already has a sequel from 1999 which wasnt bad. Pet Cematary doesnt even deserve a movie, its too niche!

Bag of Bones? Well some people liked it but i rate it as one of his worst books because for me the plot went nowhere from page 1 to end and would have worked better as a very short story about grief and regret with a haunted lake district home as a backdrop than as a full blown novel which bored me to tears. I have written practically everything King has written and that remains his worst book in my opinion. But you may love it, different strokes etc :D
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Thanks for the review. It will be interesting to see how I like it.
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

Va_treehugger wrote:Yeah, they are doing them again.

I didn't like Bag of Bones either. Thought it was one of King's most how-hum works, except for the classic line, We sh-- in the same pit. Has anybody read the new one yet? I'm seeing surprisingly little buzz about this on this forum.

Return to “Discuss Authors”