Stephen King Movie Adaptations

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Re: Stephen King Movie Adaptations

Post by Maud Fitch »

Mel Carriere wrote:.....Has anybody read the new one yet? I'm seeing surprisingly little buzz about this on this forum.
Hey, Mel, check out Reviews And Discussions About Specific Books And Series forum (under 11.22.63) for posts.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Va_treehugger wrote:Mr. King seems to be very busy.

I just checked out his movies on IMDB and he has 9 of his works "In Development". This includes Carrie, Pet Cemetery, The Dark Tower and It.

He has 4 items in Pre Production or just finished inclucing Creepshow.

I guess my favorite adaptation would be Stand by Me. And I LOVE his show Haven.

My son and I are currently watching Cujo.
Apparently the remake of IT is going to be R-Rated from what I have researched, which is strange - you don't see a lot of R rated content these days, it's difficult to get up to that rating. But it sucks, I will not be able to go see it in the cinemas if that's the case.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Jackosaurus
Favorite Author: Stephen King
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jackosaurus »

I think most of his movies are pretty good, but the made for tv ones are just cheesy.
Mel Carriere

Post by Mel Carriere »

He does seem to sell his soul easily where it comes to movie adaptations. It's really a pity, because some of them could have been dynamite movies.
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

I heard that he'll give the rights to any short story or novella for something like five bucks and a copy of the movie. I've no idea if this was ever true, or if it was only true before the whole "Lawnmower Man" fiasco, or...?
Anyway, that would explain why there are so many crappy SK film adaptations out there. And one great one: Graveyard Shift! Yay, rats!
How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Tralala wrote:I heard that he'll give the rights to any short story or novella for something like five bucks and a copy of the movie. I've no idea if this was ever true, or if it was only true before the whole "Lawnmower Man" fiasco, or...?
Anyway, that would explain why there are so many crappy SK film adaptations out there. And one great one: Graveyard Shift! Yay, rats!
Ha i knew you would like the big rats! Its a strange one on the movie adaptations allright, some of his shorts like Apt Pupil and Shawshank have been great but rubbish like Pet Cemetary and Night Shift (i hated it!) really tip the balance the other way. King has been involved in some of these adaptations so he only has himself to blame for some of them, im just really looking forward to 11.22.63 the movie :D
You only live once.....so live!
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I always got a kick out of Creepshow, it was one of his better films. The first one, the second one was garbage.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

I am in Stephen King mode right now. Reading his books and watching his movies. Some of his movies are SO well done. I find the ones from the 70s and 80s are kind of painful to watch.

His stories are so good. I wish his movies could get better treatment and direction.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Va_treehugger wrote:I am in Stephen King mode right now. Reading his books and watching his movies. Some of his movies are SO well done. I find the ones from the 70s and 80s are kind of painful to watch.

His stories are so good. I wish his movies could get better treatment and direction.
Ya, his movies are hit and miss, its a shame because he has so much material to work with and its almost as if his ideas are so plentiful that the movies are rushed out without proper care or attention, when a right director or cast would have made it something special. And there are loads of King stories that you think "this would make a great movie" for example, Duma Key, Under the Dome, Liseys Story etc and yet they make movies of Night Shift and Pet Cematary....what were they thinking. :roll:
You only live once.....so live!
KirkB
Favorite Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Favorite Book: Galapagos
Currently Reading: Michael Pollan The Omnivores Dilemma
fav_author_id: 2721

Post by KirkB »

The movies are typically hit or miss - but it is still cool to see someone else's interpretation of the book, and every once n awhile it matches your own. Even though I hated the ending, I want them to make a Dark Tower series of movies.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Maximum Overdrive was a fair movie, it didnt have the meat the book did, but it was OK. The Mangler was stupid, they really screwed that one up.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Just watched 1408. I guess I enjoyed it but they really changed it at the end.
Carabosse
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carabosse.html
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods

Post by Carabosse »

MrWright wrote:If I'm honest I've never actually read Misery (although I have read Carrie and The Shining). Nevertheless I think it is one of the better horror films I've seen. I've heard the book is more bloody though.
Yes, MrWright; the book is more gruesome. There is one scene in particular that has stick in my mind ever since I read the book...but I won't spoil it for you. I definitely recommend you read the book. The novel delves into Paul's psyche in a lot more depth. I found it to be one of the richest of Stephen King's works in terms of the characterization.
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I just read Jacob's post, it reminds me of a movie I saw one time. I dont even remember what it was, or what it was even about. Some guy came on at the first of it and said this movie has nothing in it to give it an R rating, no graphic violence or obscene language. He said movies with an R rating make more money, so Im going to say f--- to give it an R rating. I thought it was kind of funny.
aksser

Post by aksser »

I saw many films, based on Stephen King novells, also saw serials translated on russian language. And I become great fun this films and serials.
But I saw almost pirates copyes twith underground translating.
I dreamed to read his books and his films and serials in original sound.

Return to “Discuss Authors”