Is Our Main Character Likable?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Re: Is Our Main Character Likable?

Post by Storm+ »

I didn't find Alex very likable. Yes, he had good qualities, such as donating money to charity, but he also kept a lot of it for himself out of greed. In fact, he started his first charity out of guilt because his impulsive actions caused someone to be killed. He treats women as inferior beings, bodies to warm his bed. He cheats, he lies, and he cuts himself off from his "family" (Ms. Jenkins) without regret or remorse. He hates getting caught, but otherwise does not seem to care about the consequences of his actions until it affects his own life.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I found Alex an obnoxious, horny teenager. The book was more geared towards New Adult in my opinion, so why not make him a little less immature and less womanizing?
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

Alex wasn’t really likable to me, but definitely acted his age. He thought all the girls in the novel were super attractive and obsessed with love at times. He was receptive with his actions, thinking he would never get in trouble. However he did give money to a lot of people that deserved it, which was his only non-selfish decision.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I think Alex is a little stiff, but I think he is likeable. His experiences make him a little more unsure of himself I think, but he adjusts quickly as he meets new women. After meeting the first woman, he seems to become pretty sure of himself.
Mac :techie-reference:
aprenni
Currently Reading: The Casual Vacancy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aprenni.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aprenni »

I can't say that I'd ever want to be friends with Alex, but I do think he is a pretty well-written character. He treats women like objects to be had, but I think part of that can be attributed to him being an orphan. Yes, Mrs. Jenkins was wonderful and I'm sure she tried to raise him well, but the fact of the matter is that Alex grew up in an orphanage. He didn't have positive parental role models, aside from Mrs. Jenkins, and Mrs. Jenkins had a pack of kids to take care of. Perhaps no one sat down and really talked with him about how to treat women, about how to manage a crisis, or about any other moral issues found in this book. Alex does what any orphan would do given this sudden wealth and power: he flirts with pretty girls and he keeps a hefty portion of his profits to himself, because he's never had anything before. Because he's never had anything to call his own, he goes a bit overboard: instead of keeping enough money to get a cheap hotel, he gets hotels that are lavish and over the top. Instead of buying some new clothes from an average store, he gets designer and name-brand items because he's never had anything like that before. I think his monetary greed comes from his childhood, and I would like to see him grow and mature as a character to move away from that lifestyle.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I actually couldn't relate to his character well. He is so complex as a person.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I don't know if he is necessarily either, as he is a young boy with extraordinary powers, and he's struggling to cope with all that he learns about his past. He's not likable in the way that he treats women. However, it is commendable that he is trying to help the poor and downtrodden. The way he goes about it isn't the greatest though.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

I liked the main character, but when I was first reading the books I felt like this was wish fulfillment for the author. The main character, Alex, has the same first name as the author. The character Alex is really powerful, rich, and attractive. Luckily, the author is a good storyteller, so even though everything seems too-good-to-be-true about the main character, he at least faces some real hardship and growth.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

A G Darr wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 14:22 I liked the main character, but when I was first reading the books I felt like this was wish fulfillment for the author. The main character, Alex, has the same first name as the author. The character Alex is really powerful, rich, and attractive. Luckily, the author is a good storyteller, so even though everything seems too-good-to-be-true about the main character, he at least faces some real hardship and growth.
I completely agree. I think Alex had some qualities of the "Tom Sue" trope. Sometimes I cringed hard at his utter lack of self-awareness and the modest bragging. But the two biggest reasons why I didn't like him were that he was driven solely by impulsiveness, and he had no ability to reflect and learn from his past mistakes.

Despite that, he was a well-written and engaging protagonist, and my teenage self would relate to his character. I would love to see him growing up and taking control of his ability, instead of letting it control and lead him astray.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

hsimone wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 03:15 What are your thoughts about Alex? Is he likable? Not likable? What do you think about the way he spends money? Treats women? Overall, personality?
Personally, I thought he was very shallow. Did he really think no one would find he took that money? Didn't he think people would notice he was spending money like water? He's not really likable. But neither was the book. The concept was great, very imaginative, but the characters were not.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I have mixed thoughts regarding Alec. On one hand he's this young, inexperienced fellow with the world ahead of him - gone through enough, but not too much to make him a relatable and understood character. On the other the idiocy of his choices leads readers to question his portrayal as the protagonist. That being said, I don't believe Alec treats women the way he does intentionally, it's more an absent-minded, off-hand attitude that comes with, as mentioned previously, his inexperience and the freedom of his circumstances.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I think he is a complicated person. He is also a young man. I think he acts in a way that makes sense for an 18 year-old who is still trying to figure out the world. He makes mistakes, but is trying to do the right thing.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I don't think Alex is a very likable character. At first, I found his character engaging, but soon his actions seemed immature and uninteresting.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Alex seemed very contradictory to me. He wants to right the wrong committed against his parents and uses justice and morality as reasons for his revenge yet treated his love interests rather dismissively and hurtfully, what one could argue as immoral. He seems a little naive and for most of the book I kept trying to relate to him but really couldn't.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

His money spending isn't even a bad point; it's everything else. He's whiny and treats women like shiny objects - crazy in love with them one moment then disposing them of the next. I think he's character requires a complete reconceptualization to be palatable to readers.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”