Favorite fantasy/paranormal element(s) in a book

For January 2019, we'll be reading fantasy/paranormal books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Favorite fantasy/paranormal element(s) in a book

Post by Heidi M Simone »

For a while, I really loved vampire-related stories. Now, I feel I gear more towards general magic (and maybe with some dragons involved). There's something about magic that is so intriguing to me. Perhaps it's because sometimes I wish I had some magical ability. :mrgreen2:

What's your favorite fantasy/paranormal element(s) in a book?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Tessa Morgan
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 57

Post by Tessa Morgan »

I love this genre! When I read books I prefer to be transported to a world that is not the same as my reality. I go through many different types of books in a year. Currently I am also gravitating towards Vampire books, but I do prefer them to not be too dark, there needs to be some kind of lightness to a book, does that make sense?

If you like magic and vampires I would recommend the Elemental Mysteries book series by Elizabeth Hunter, it combines both magic and vampires which I enjoyed immensely.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Faeries are my greatest weakness.

I have read more faery books than probably anything else. It's also the thing most likely to make me look at a book.

I also love portal fantasies, though can be a bit picky about them.

Fantasy (and paranormal) is one of my first loves, so I read so much of it. Vampires, werewolves, angels, everything. But faeries are my kryptonite.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Tessa Morgan wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 02:34 I love this genre! When I read books I prefer to be transported to a world that is not the same as my reality. I go through many different types of books in a year. Currently I am also gravitating towards Vampire books, but I do prefer them to not be too dark, there needs to be some kind of lightness to a book, does that make sense?

If you like magic and vampires I would recommend the Elemental Mysteries book series by Elizabeth Hunter, it combines both magic and vampires which I enjoyed immensely.
Do you read romance?
If so, have you tried Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series?
It's angels and vampires (with a very original take on the vampire myth).

Tessa Morgan
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 57

Post by Tessa Morgan »

I have not tried that series yet but I will have a look at it.

If you love faeries, have you tried Sarah J. Maas' book series, a Court of Thorns and Roses, I could not stop reading this book series, I even re-read it a couple of times. It is a 3 book series, if you want a longer read her A Throne of Glass series is just as awesome, it's an 8 book series :-)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Tessa Morgan wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 02:34 I love this genre! When I read books I prefer to be transported to a world that is not the same as my reality. I go through many different types of books in a year. Currently I am also gravitating towards Vampire books, but I do prefer them to not be too dark, there needs to be some kind of lightness to a book, does that make sense?

I haven't heard of the Elemental Mysteries book series. I see that some romance. How much romance would you say this book series has? I can do some, but not a lot.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 20:53 Faeries are my greatest weakness.

I have read more faery books than probably anything else. It's also the thing most likely to make me look at a book.

Fantasy (and paranormal) is one of my first loves, so I read so much of it. Vampires, werewolves, angels, everything. But faeries are my kryptonite.
Faery books? Do you have any good recommendations? :D
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Tessa Morgan wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 01:41 I have not tried that series yet but I will have a look at it.

If you love faeries, have you tried Sarah J. Maas' book series, a Court of Thorns and Roses, I could not stop reading this book series, I even re-read it a couple of times. It is a 3 book series, if you want a longer read her A Throne of Glass series is just as awesome, it's an 8 book series :-)
Ooo...I've been meaning to read A Court of Thorns and Roses and A Throne of Glass series. It's good to know that you enjoyed them!
Heidi

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Tessa Morgan wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 01:41 I have not tried that series yet but I will have a look at it.

I have not tried them yet. I think it's one of those series I just assume I'll read eventually. :lol:
So many books!

If you try the Guild Hunter series and enjoy it, she writes another series, Psy/Changeling, that's just as good (possibly better :shifty: :shhh: ).

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 19:02

Of course. :D

Obviously, Seanan McGuire's October Daye (you know, if that wasn't clear). :lol:

Kalayna Price's Alex Craft series.
This one comes with a personification of Death/Reaper. (I love personifications of Death.)

The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.
I love these because, I swear, this is where I would have wanted to live as a kid. There are so many fae creatures, and just so much to love. I mean, a giant cow that provides magical milk?

I know there are others, but I can only think of ones that were dropped. :doh:

briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I like magic too! In fantasy books, I like it more if there are elves and dragons involved. Wizards too! I think these fascinating creatures might be overrated to some, but you can't deny that they do make everything in a fantasy book superb! In paranormal stuff, I don't like vampires but I do like shapeshifters. Also, I don't like the romantic element these paranormal books always do/have, but I would like to see more of coming-of-age of these vampires. :D
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 03:16
hsimone wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 19:02

Of course. :D

Obviously, Seanan McGuire's October Daye (you know, if that wasn't clear). :lol:

Kalayna Price's Alex Craft series.
This one comes with a personification of Death/Reaper. (I love personifications of Death.)

The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.
I love these because, I swear, this is where I would have wanted to live as a kid. There are so many fae creatures, and just so much to love. I mean, a giant cow that provides magical milk?

I know there are others, but I can only think of ones that were dropped. :doh:
Oh, I'm glad you clarified Seanan McGuire's October Daye as a recommendation because it wasn't clear :lol:

The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull is something that I've been wanting to read!

I added those two series and the Alex Craft series to my list to read. Thanks for the recommendations! :tiphat:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

briellejee wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 20:27 I like magic too! In fantasy books, I like it more if there are elves and dragons involved. Wizards too! I think these fascinating creatures might be overrated to some, but you can't deny that they do make everything in a fantasy book superb! In paranormal stuff, I don't like vampires but I do like shapeshifters. Also, I don't like the romantic element these paranormal books always do/have, but I would like to see more of coming-of-age of these vampires. :D
I agree! I love these elements, too, but could use a bit less romance. :)
Heidi

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sometimes it's hard to put my finger on what exactly I like in my paranormal series. I've read stories about elementals, vampires, and faeries. I think I enjoy the most when they are just finding out what they are. I like walking through that with them.

Speaking of which, has anyone read the House of Night series?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

Magic, specifically fairy tale retellings, have always caught my attention. Vampires fall under my second choice but many recent vampire books get a little too Twilight-y rather quickly.

I can 3rd(?) the Fablehaven series. It’s absolutely fantastic and places adult themes in a young adult setting (more in the Harry Potter sense rather than the romance of Twilight).

Return to “January 2019 Genre Discussion”