Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Post by skindrukas »

CambaReviewer wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 14:18 I like to escape to other periods so I enjoy historical fiction. The fact that the book discusses war and was still a bit humorous is a major plus. It comes highly rated and highly recommended. I like the fact there is some romance in it as well. That makes it very appealing to readers of several genres. Recommended for adults because of the serious themes it explores.
That's exactly the same reason why I enjoy historical fiction too! And fantasy... Although, maybe for the same reason many historical fiction and fantasy books disappoint me because they appear to not be escapable. Like, if the characters aren't developed enough, or the plot has some missing logic, or is incomplete - I notice those things quickly and have to put a book aside as it doesn't give me enough reasons to escape into it.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I rated the book 4 out of 4 because I loved the storyline. what I loved most about the book is that these Australian soldiers were on a hero's journey and they choose to do the right thing over enjoying the benefits of retiring from service. I would recommend this book very highly to anyone who loves thrillers and loves a hero's story.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Hannahberry
Currently Reading: Fire and Blood (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahberry.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Hannahberry »

Ever_Reading wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 01:22 I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it. It's well written and keeps one entertained from the first page until the last. I enjoyed the comedic approach the author took even though the book revolves around war. Krater has a way of pulling at your heart while at the same time consoling you with laughter. My only issue with the book is that it drags a little towards the end. Nonetheless, it's deserving of a 4/4 rating.
:tiphat:
Fans of historical fiction should definitely check it out.
I've been considering reading this book after seeing it on her as BOTM! But I'm going to bump it up on my priority list now because your mini review makes it sound really cool. Shame that it drags at the end but I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks for sharing.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Love the character development in this book. It's also refreshing to see war strategies being shown. I am yet to come across something I dislike about the book.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
imshaima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imshaima.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by imshaima »

I really liked reading this book. I liked the fact that the characters come from different backgrounds. Moreover, it spoke about a devastating period of time in the human history and all the issues that rose in that period about racism, immigration, women rights etc. I think the author is just brilliant to write this book as a fiction but still carries the real impact of WWII. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to historians and open-minded people. The book shows the true need of friendships and unity across differences and how our connection can overcome great obstacles. :tiphat:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Hannahberry wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 17:19
Ever_Reading wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 01:22 I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it. It's well written and keeps one entertained from the first page until the last. I enjoyed the comedic approach the author took even though the book revolves around war. Kater has a way of pulling at your heart while at the same time consoling you with laughter. My only issue with the book is that it drags a little towards the end. Nonetheless, it's deserving of a 4/4 rating.
:tiphat:
Fans of historical fiction should definitely check it out.
I've been considering reading this book after seeing it on her as BOTM! But I'm going to bump it up on my priority list now because your mini review makes it sound really cool. Shame that it drags at the end but I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad I could be of service :tiphat: I really hope you get to try it out!
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

Im not into to war storys but knowing there's some humor mixed in I think I'll try it out.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
ZhanQuan
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ZhanQuan »

There's an artlessness in the writing of this book (very much a good thing, since I very often lose patience with Over-Written books), as if it was based off an old soldier recounting his adventures during The War, describing the colorful characters and interesting people he encountered during that time. Amidst the story is the friendship and loyalty between Jamie, an Australian Army officer and Jacko, a half-Warramunga (an Australian aboriginal tribe) soldier who saves Jamie's life while the both of them are far from home fighting the Vichy French in Syria. Their friendship continues to grow as they serve side by side in British military intelligence in Egypt, during the North African campaign. As part of the emerging Australian Information Service, they track down escaped German war criminals after the German surrender and a former army friend guilty of numerous crimes. The writing strengthens as the action shifts from Egypt to Australia, but this is quiet all right by me, as this is home for the main characters, and I thoroughly enjoyed the descriptions of Central Australia and the fascinating folk whom the investigators meet while trailing their suspects.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 883
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I tried to read the book. I couldn't enjoy reading the book and I didn't find it interesting. I don't like to read most historical fiction novels.
Antonio Barrella
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonio-barrella.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Antonio Barrella »

The novel the Warramunga war is just a fascinating novel. I loved it characters Jamie and Jacko. They made this novel lovely. I rate it at 3 out of 4 stars
Al33na
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al33na.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Al33na »

The book was well written, humorous and action packed. It could have been shorter though. I would recommend it to others who love historical fiction, World War II inspired books.
Saanumi iyanu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Saanumi iyanu »

The write up is really great. The arrangement of the storyline is really in alignment and actually this book happens to be one of the best books I ever came across. :techie-studyinggray:
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Antonio Barrella wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 14:09 The novel the Warramunga war is just a fascinating novel. I loved it characters Jamie and Jacko. They made this novel lovely. I rate it at 3 out of 4 stars
I do agree with you about the two of them. I kept on reading just for Jamie and Jacko. Why rate it at 3 and not a perfect one though? What aspect you didn't like?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

gali wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 00:27 This is a discussion topic for the February 2019 Book of the Month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater is a suspenseful and intriguing tale. It is well written and full of fascinating historical details. Kater gave an impressive account of the Egyptian pyramids, Sphinx, and other structures at Giza. Greg's idea of humor in a story revolving around war is creative. I like the way he developed the characters to achieve a common goal, and his in-depth knowledge of the military and famous wars. What I like most is the guitar sheet music part of book because I am a guitarist. I couldn't anything I didn't like in the story. The Warramunga's War deserves a 4 out of 4 stars. And yes, I'd recommend this book to others who like war stories blended with humor.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction so I've decided, some time ago, not to read this book. However, after reading so many reviews and comments praising this book I'm having second thoughts. Since now is the book of the month as well I should definitely give it a try.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”