The diversity of the characters

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The diversity of the characters

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This enhanced my reading experience.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The range did have the desired effect of making me look at the characters differently. Their origin and background was a welcoming addition in these new locations.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I had ignored this book for a while, but seeing the comments here makes me feel like I'm missing out...
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I love the diversity of characters. Makes the book a very interesting read and definitely contributes to making the story more engaging.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I admire the author for taking the challenge of diversity in his writings. Yes, sometimes the change in dialogue rhythm slowed down my reading pace, but it was worth it to me. Very interesting!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I love diversity in books where travelling is a constant theme. It's just unnatural to find people speaking English all throughout the world with perfect accents.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I loved the diversity and the inclusion of the accents and native languages. I didn't understand a few sentences here and there but it added to the experience and it was nice for a change.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

CambaReviewer wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 15:49 I did not find the diversity distracting. if anything, it added to my enjoyment of the book. The truth is that the world is a diverse place and the fact that a book reflects this truth is a plus for me.
Very well said! I agree! A story needs other people to highlight the main characters! Though some characters have an abrupt ending, yet it tossed up the main character as the author's purpose.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 18:16 I admire the author for taking the challenge of diversity in his writings. Yes, sometimes the change in dialogue rhythm slowed down my reading pace, but it was worth it to me. Very interesting!
Yeah! I like the same! Reading other cultures and language was pretty exciting! I even teased my part of saying..."you are my mon Cheri." :lol:
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

KitabuKizuri wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 13:02 I had ignored this book for a while, but seeing the comments here makes me feel like I'm missing out...
You're right! Well, historical events seem boring in our generation today but giving it a try we discovered that their sacrifice is our freedom today!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Morgan Jones wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 06:49 I love diversity in books where travelling is a constant theme. It's just unnatural to find people speaking English all throughout the world with perfect accents.
Same! That's a sort of pet peeve for me. Also, if you have read Paulo Coelho's books, most of the strangers the protagonist meet in different countries, even beggars, seemed to speak in perfect English and appear to be wise. It was a good thing that this book didn't do that. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

KitabuKizuri wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 13:02 I had ignored this book for a while, but seeing the comments here makes me feel like I'm missing out...
It's a good thing that this discussion about the book was put up by the team. It sure makes others interested in the book. Glad to know you're one of them. Hope you'll read the book. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I enjoyed the diversity of the characters in the story. It's fun being able to learn differences in culture as one reads a book.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

chelhack wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 01:14 I think that it's distract but yet, enhances the book at the same time. I say that because whem reading the book then you suddenly come to the part when they are speaking in their nataive tounge that it sort of stops the flow of the book to a point. Yet, it also makes the book that much more interesting and unquie as well.
I agree that it does interrupt the flow of the book, but I do think it adds to the overall intrigue that the book has.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Meliha wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 14:21 I love diversity, though sticking to one language can work just as well, except when one character is lost due to a language barrier. In this case, I think it's good to use other languages as it helps the reader (unless they know the language) to sympathise with the character.

But since we are on the topic of diversity, I find that a group of friends is never so diverse in real life. From what I've seen, I'd say people pick up each other's gestures, let alone other traits, without even noticing it. And a group will distance an individual that doesn't 'fit in'. It's fascinating stuff. So diversity only works in stories where the characters are not close friends.
I agree with you. Language can be tricky to handle sometimes. But at times it can be used to help the reader get closer to the characters.

Interesting take you have on diversity. It's definitely true in some instances. However, I've read some books where diverse characters were close friends or even lovers. I get what you mean though. :D

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”