What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by chiefsimplex »

I think the title implied taking a long term perspective at the problem. It sought to build resilience using the blocks of hope which can be salvaged even as we go through the loss of loved ones. In this case the process would work best by involving a transformation in attitudes.Thus as far as the title is concerned ,the author was right on point.
Trinityo21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Trinityo21 »

I feel as if the title fits, I have had many people in my family lose and win the battle against cancer. Cancer is kind of like a war; your battling against something which is what people do in war. War doesn’t all ways mean destruction it could mean strength and success. The title doesn’t imply that everyone shall win the war it implies that, that person won the battle against cancer. I also agree with those who say this title will give someone people a sense of hope. When someone is told they have cancer it’s hard and hearing all the stories about the treatments not working will make those people who want to battle against cancer lose hope. So I feel as if the see the title and see how that person lived through it and got better it will give them hope and a push to try a win the “war” against cancer.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

It is interesting how people interpret things in different ways. I didn’t read it as being past tense, already done. I read it as a mission statement. A statement of intent. It is a serious and sensitive subject.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I understand some people may see the title as misleading. But, as many have said before, it may help raise hope for others which is great. I personally didn't see the title as misleading
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Post by onemorechap »

For me, it is best the way it is. The truest, the cruelest in the case of something so important. Yes, the possibility of not winning is big, even bigger than the opposite. But who can not have hope? Strenghts is what keeps people going, and each step we take towards strength, is a step towards a better life, no matter how long it may end to be :?
Maggie_brown_0013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-brown-0013.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Maggie_brown_0013 »

briellejee wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:58 I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?
I think that to those in the early stages of cancer, the title of this book is perfectly fine. However, I agree with the notion that it gives false hope to those in the late stages of cancer. It's almost as if the title is offering them a miracle cure to their terminal disease, and while they probably realize that this book won't offer them a cure, subconsciously I'm sure that they are disappointed.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

My first thoughts on the title were that it was a good one, a real statement of intent on the part of the author. I still think that, to an extent, but having just searched for the book on Amazon, I noticed that there are two other books with a similar title. I think if I'd just put the effort into writing a decent book, which this is, I'd want to make sure that it didn't get confused with some other work.
Emily Guerra
Currently Reading: I'll Give You the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-guerra.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emily Guerra »

I agree, it sounds like it's a done deal that someone is 'winning' the war on cancer. I have lost loved ones that battled years with it. At first, I had a similar reaction, it made me not want to read it until I read the review. I enjoyed the content versus title relation. Maybe a little less positive or something more defensive like "Fighting the War on Cancer" or something like that.
Emily Guerra
Currently Reading: I'll Give You the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-guerra.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emily Guerra »

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 22:24 I feel sorry for your loss, however I think the title is encouraging and it somehow gives hope to those who are battling with cancer.
I guess you're also right. Just thinking about it, I think my reaction would've been different back when my dad was still alive and battling cancer.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I can definitely see how it can be taken in many different ways, but I personally think it sounds like it's offering hope to many.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

It all depends on the perspective from which you're looking at the title. When there's hope, there's a will to fight. I think the title can help in imparting some hope to sufferers.
promise10
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 74

Post by promise10 »

The tittle is uplifting and i don't mind it.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

it is straight to the point.. convincing for me
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I think the title sends a positive message to the possible readers. Ideas such as: "Cancer can be fought." "Don't give up." "Give the best of you until the end if necessary." pop into my mind when I read this title.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

The title appeals to me because I had a friend who lost a father to cancer and the fact that this book is titled Winning the War on Cancer symbolises hope for future. It also inspires hope to those who may have lost it.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”