Overall rating and opinion of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
OlympianArchitect
Currently Reading: The Guardian Herd
Bookshelf Size: 25

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.

Post by OlympianArchitect »

I am only through the first part, just started..but I can already tell I’m going to like it. A little hard for me to understand all the terms but otherwise good. :D
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

One of the many reasons why this book appeals to me is for the chance to visit places that I will surely not see otherwise. It is Malaya this time: the jungle, Kuala Lumpur but also short flies to the Philippines and Darwin City Australia. And all the exploits of tracking, meeting a tiger this time and I am dying with anticipation for the rest of it.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I haven't read the book yet, but it sounds intriguing. It appears to have some action in it and seems like it'd keep my attention.
Mac :techie-reference:
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I love the Greg Kater books which include the Warramunga. His descriptions of people and places are really evocative. He describes meals and uses Australian/British slang. The tracking episodes are thrilling and Sarah is amazing.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I love historical fiction. I am still reading the book. I will update as soon as I finish it. So far I am intrigued by the book. :techie-studyinggray:
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I can imagine a certain skill set is collected when going through a war. Being wrongfully kidnapped and then kept captive in the middle of an unknown and quite dangerous jungle is an amazing start to a book. I’m intrigued to find out how this all plays out.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I think Greg Kater is a magnificent author. The collection of Warramunga War books have not disappointed so far and I’m certain this book will be on par with the rest.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

B Creech wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 18:03 I am just getting started with the book but was intrigued right away from the first chapter. I will follow-up with more thoughts as I go! :techie-studyinggray:
Same here. I hope the rest of the book is just as good or possibly even better than the first chapter.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Israt Siddique
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Israt Siddique »

In this last installment of a trilogy, two Commonwealth Investigation Service agents embark on a rescue mission in the jungles of British Malaya.
The book works well as a stand alone novel while still providing a satisfying final act for the trilogy. Readers should become quite fond of the characters, particularly Jacko and Sarah, over the course of the series, and the author sees them off suitable panache.

An enjoyable adventure set during the era of late British colonialism.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I didn’t realize it was a trilogy. Everyone has me fairly interested in reading it now. Thank you so much:)
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

The book is quite interesting. So far I seem to like the names of the characters: Jack, Johnny and James. I don't know if the author had a reason for making them start with J or if it was just a concidence?
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I did not get to read the first two books but going by the reviews of both as well as the third book, I am sure to be reading the Skills of the Warramunga. The historical part and the characters are quite impressive.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

Greg kater has never disappointed with descriptions, he gives vivid descriptions which moves the reader into the world he creates. The book is also full of action that starts from the first chapter. It's a must read book.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Man I seem to be the odd ball with this one! I've only read the first chapter so far and have found so many punctuation errors already. He also enjoys long run-on sentences, which is making it especially difficult for me to get into! I also don't understand why he isn't using quotations around the dialogue.

I really hope this one gets better. I'm going to try and look past these things for the sake of the book, but for those reasons above I cannot rate it 4 stars.
Phikim
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phikim.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Phikim »

Having read the sample given, I must admit that the book is cladded with a tasty story. Greg Kater has a way of balancing the scenes, suspense and character development. His writing skills for instance, use of conversations is undeniably evident. One can easily grasp the emotion state of the characters without struggle.

However, I've been trying to connect with the story and the book cover. The relationship is not easily pictured or felt. A wonderful story like this requires wonderful pictures. The images would have been improved. Like they say, never judge book by its cover.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”