Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
BrianCollins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briancollins.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Re: Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Post by BrianCollins »

I almost always start with the first in a series, although I hesitate to call myself an expert on books that aren't standalones anyways. The only exception I can think of would be David Brin's Uplift series, where I started with the second entry, and I only got away with that because the books barely connect with each other.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

The earlier books of the series depict the bond that these group of friends i.e Jamie, Jacko and Cook share and how they bonded over their first mission together in Cairo. In also sheds light on the romantic developments which we merely glimpse n the third book. So we will be missing a lot if we think about only reading the third book.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

With added clips of foreign tongues, I imagine a term defined in the first book might not be defined in sequels. But I could see the first time it’s used getting redefining. So this, being the third in the series, I imagine it might have more terms or phrases that you feel the need to google.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Completion is something that I appreciate. Previous books in a series tend to have a build up that leaves you understanding the current book more. That being said, I haven't had the chance to read the previous books and hope to get to them soon.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
faint9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by faint9 »

The manner in which Greg Kater has connected the three books is professional. One cannot feel or detect the flow disconnect. He’s done it so well that one would mistakenly dare say it’s a standalone book. There are two books prior to Skills of the Warramunga i.e. The Warramunga’s War and The Warramunga’s Aftermath of War. The three are historical fiction books.

Being a very suspenseful book, one would feel like reading over and over again without having any feeling of boredom. Nevertheless, having squeezed the juicy part of the story, it is in order and urge to read the other two series. It’s irresistible. After having read this book, one cannot avoid the other two. You have to go back if you’ve not yet done so.
Halima Lawan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ummiii.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Halima Lawan »

I really think this book could be read as a stand alone. I haven't read the previous books in the series, this is the only one I have read so far but the author wrote the story in a way you wouldn't feel the need to check the other books for recaps. He included all the necessary information you need to know for this book.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

This is the first of the series I’ve read. While I can follow the story fine without having read the first two books, I think I would have felt more invested in the main characters faster if I’d read the first installments.

The author did a good job of supplying sufficient background info, but I kept having a feeling of being late to the party.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Neha++ wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 05:31 For any series, there should be sufficient flashback to understand role of any characters. Also some events from previous books should be explained in short, if these things are included, surely that book will stand alone.
I think there is in this book, but of course to better understand the relationship and also to help the readers be invested enough in the characters is to read the series. Somehow I believe that books in a series that can be considered stand-alone should be well-written enough to interest readers in going back to the previous books. This one surely does, I think so.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 13:37 Despite being third in a series, some reviewers have said that Skills of the Warramunga could be read as a stand alone book, while other reviewers expressed some confusion because they didn't read the first two books.

Personally, I have a hard time not reading a series in order. What important details does a reader need to know if they are picking this book up without reading the two prior books in the series? Or would you say that this is truly a stand alone novel?
Reading series from the first book gives better understanding. But this one can be read as a standalone because it is a new mission entirely. That's the author's concept. He's not continuing one particular mission in all the series. Each book has a unique mission, but with the same characters and setting.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 01:01
CommMayo wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 13:37 Despite being third in a series, some reviewers have said that Skills of the Warramunga could be read as a stand alone book, while other reviewers expressed some confusion because they didn't read the first two books.

Personally, I have a hard time not reading a series in order. What important details does a reader need to know if they are picking this book up without reading the two prior books in the series? Or would you say that this is truly a stand alone novel?
Reading series from the first book gives better understanding. But this one can be read as a standalone because it is a new mission entirely. That's the author's concept. He's not continuing one particular mission in all the series. Each book has a unique mission, but with the same characters and setting.
Though its certainly true, you will not be able to enjoy the characters as much as you would have if you would have if you had read the whole series in order.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Faithmwangi wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 02:55 Completion is something that I appreciate. Previous books in a series tend to have a build up that leaves you understanding the current book more. That being said, I haven't had the chance to read the previous books and hope to get to them soon.
Yes, I would really love to read the whole series. If I am not wrong, in the first book the mission is in Cairo and the other one in Australia. I will really appreciate learning the first interaction of these characters.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Most of the comments I think provide a good argument, The story doesn't hinder you in any way to break the flow of the story and again we get the feeling of a void when the characters are concerned
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I thought that this book was a good stand-alone book because the author did include some information about previous missions that Jacko and Jamie had in Egypt and other places. I have not read the other two books in this series and did not have trouble with this book at all.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Howlan wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 03:44
Nuel Ukah wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 01:01

Though its certainly true, you will not be able to enjoy the characters as much as you would have if you would have if you had read the whole series in order.
Well, I agree to an extent.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I read the first one in the series and I loved it. Unfortunately, I missed out on the second book (will make up for it though, surely). However, I didn't really get confused while reading the third, simply because the events from both previous books were skillfully introduced during some dialogues. It wasn't detailed, so it didn't feel as if the author was repeating himself, but contained just enough info for me to undertsand the parts that I didn't read. I think it may be read as a stand alone book, but you'll miss a lot not reading the series because these books are amazing, in my opinion.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”