Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Post by kdstrack »

Howlan wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 22:51
kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 21:08 This book does work as a standalone. However, readers would be enriched by a deeper understanding of how Jacko and Jamie met and solidified their relationship. A knowledge of how Jacko and Monique met makes the ending sweeter. The more background information you have about the characters, the easier it will be to relate to the characters and connect with their experiences.
Yes, and also in the earlier series we also get the trust which gets built up among Jamie , Jacko and Johnny Cook and we understand how in the book they didnt hesitate at all at the thought of saving their friends.
I agree with this. I think the author tries to build on this in the book, but it is the past, shared experiences that they lived through in the first book, that established this trust and dependence on each other.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 22:56
kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 21:08 This book does work as a standalone. However, readers would be enriched by a deeper understanding of how Jacko and Jamie met and solidified their relationship. A knowledge of how Jacko and Monique met makes the ending sweeter. The more background information you have about the characters, the easier it will be to relate to the characters and connect with their experiences.
Yes, and also in the earlier series we also get the trust which gets built up among Jamie , Jacko and Johnny Cook and we understand how in the book they didnt hesitate at all at the thought of saving their friends.
I agree with this. I think the author tries to build on this in the book, but it is the past, shared experiences that they lived through in the first book, that established this trust and dependence on each other.
Yes and I think thats what important in building a trilogy. You get a bunch of likable characters with history and include their new adventures.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I have always been one to start reading a series right from book one. In the case of this series too, I feel that the reading experience of the book could be enhanced if the readers got to see how Jacko and Jamie initially came about to meet each other and build their relationship.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I don't support reading it as a stand alone book. I don't know, it just doesn't sound right. How will you know how Jamie and Jacko became friends? A lot of things in the first and second book provide explanation for what is happening in the third book.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Howlan wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 23:42
kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 22:56

Yes and I think thats what important in building a trilogy. You get a bunch of likable characters with history and include their new adventures.
I guess a person's response to this question would be a bit biased if you had already read previous books in the series. That's how I felt about this one. Since I had read the first book, and had all the background information about the characters, I felt I had an advantage. Do authors really want a book from a series to work as a standalone? Isn't the idea to get you to read the whole trilogy?
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mcdonaldchola »

I started by reading Greg's fourth book which is not part of the trilogy. When reading The Skills of the Warramunga I was now able to understand the genesis of some events in the fourth book. I now even have ideas of what to expect in the first two books of the trilogy because Greg gives a very good flashback. This is indeed a stand alone book.I am looking forward to reading the first two books to have the complete story of the adventures of Jamie and Jacko.
Halima Lawan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ummiii.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Halima Lawan »

briellejee wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 02:31
Ummiii wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 10:47 I really think this book could be read as a stand alone. I haven't read the previous books in the series, this is the only one I have read so far but the author wrote the story in a way you wouldn't feel the need to check the other books for recaps. He included all the necessary information you need to know for this book.
Did it, in any other way, made you interested in the other books? because I could see other people saying somehow after reading this, they would want to read the first two books. Was this not the case for you?
Yes I would like to go back and read the first two. Not only to understand the relationship between some of the characters like Jacko and Sarah but because I really enjoyed the story and I want to know how it all started.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This was my first book of the series. I rarely read all of the books in a series. Knowing that this was not a standalone book, I anticipated having to get up to speed on the characters quickly. It was like drinking from a firehouse reading the first few chapters and learning all the players and organizations. I don’t know if that particular aspect would have been easier if I had read any of the previous books or if this is just how the author started this book. It was not critical to the plot, but I would like to have known more about Jacko and Sarah’s family history. I wonder if it was addressed in either of the previous books. That was the only thing I felt I missed.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Neha++ wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 05:31 For any series, there should be sufficient flashback to understand role of any characters. Also some events from previous books should be explained in short, if these things are included, surely that book will stand alone.
There was not much for flashbacks or background information, but I didnt find this book terribly confusing. It just felt as if we were missing out on some of the history if the characters. I did have some questions about that.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Jyockel08 wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 11:31 When I start a series out of order, I often find myself stopping mid-read and going to look for the first book. So going out of order never works for me. Thanks for the heads up!
I powered through this one and I didnt like it enough to read the other two, but I generally dont like to read out of order either.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 14:09 If I know there are other books in a series, I have to start with the first one. Same with tv box sets, I have to go to the first season and start there. I don't do stand alones :)
Then this one is not for you. Unless you plan on reading the first two
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:55 I doubt I will enjoy reading the third book first even if it's a standalone; I won't be able to shake off the feeling that I 'm missing some details.
I personally thi k you could follow along with this one, but I did feel like I was missing some background info on the main characters
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 08:35 I am reading the book as a standalone, but I think had I have read the previous books I would have had a greater understanding of each of the characters. I would have liked to have had more in-depth knowledge of Jamie and Jacko's characters.
Yes! My sentiments exactly! There was a lot of history I felt I missed out on by not reading the other 2. I just cant bring myself to read them
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 08:14 I definitely prefer to read books in a series in order, but my overall impression is that most people who read this one as a standalone did not struggle to understand it.
Agreed. There was information I wish I had known about, but I was able to comprehend this story
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

mariana90 wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 05:03 I have mistakenly read the second book in a series instead of the first, and when I go back to the first, many things I thought I understood really start making sense. So I'm an advocate for correct order reading hehe
Interesting! I advocate for reading in order as well for this very reason

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”