Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herbstlicht.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Post by Herbstlicht »

Wars are messy, and we can consider ourselves lucky if we only read about it in books. I love reading military novels, as it brings me one step closer to understanding wars and people, as history is often biased and only one-sided.

What are the things you learned about the Vietnam war that you weren't familiar with? To me, it became clear (once again!) how quick we are to judge the people living under a communist rule without properly understanding they are also victims of their system. I also learned about how unfair even the "just" system can become towards people who have risked their lives and their entire existence. And unfortunately, the "why" still isn't clear to me. Why this war was fought, who won, and whether it was worth it all.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I would agree. There was so much the war brought out in people. Our system is so broken and this book really highlights that. I didn’t know much about this war (I’m pretty young and don’t love history) but I have family that served (not Vietnam) and the stories are similar.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I know nothing about wars, and like you said I'm lucky that I only get to read about it in books. I'm not American, but from what I know about the Vietnam War I couldn't stop asking, to what end?
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Yes, this has changed my view of the Vietnam conflict. I was a teen during the Vietnam WAR. We saw it on the news every night. It didn't affect me then, but this book has now. It was pointed out that the men in Washington only directed the war as if it was a stage for the enlisted men to play on. What a travesty this war was and all the other wars that have been fought through the ages.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Herbstlicht wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 04:14 Wars are messy, and we can consider ourselves lucky if we only read about it in books. I love reading military novels, as it brings me one step closer to understanding wars and people, as history is often biased and only one-sided.

What are the things you learned about the Vietnam war that you weren't familiar with? To me, it became clear (once again!) how quick we are to judge the people living under a communist rule without properly understanding they are also victims of their system. I also learned about how unfair even the "just" system can become towards people who have risked their lives and their entire existence. And unfortunately, the "why" still isn't clear to me. Why this war was fought, who won, and whether it was worth it all.
I had family that fought in Vietnam. They have never talked about it. Even though it was front and center every night on the news, I did not know much of what this book brought out. The Navy? Millions of gallons of Agent Orange? Desalinators on the ships that concentrated the runoff? I knew none of those things.
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

I've always heard about the Vietnam war but have never taken time to really understand what happened before, during or after this war. This book is a great eye opener to the pains of war.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

No, this book has not changed my mind about the Vietnam war at all. It was indeed, a travesty. I thought so then, and I still do.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

I haven't read the book yet but I don't think people in this day and age can understand the 'why' behind any war, ever. Sure we understood how it started, what people hoped to gain by undertaking it, but the worth of it? No. It is unnecessary and outdated.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:

Post by Herbstlicht »

Karina Nowak wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 21:24 I haven't read the book yet but I don't think people in this day and age can understand the 'why' behind any war, ever. Sure we understood how it started, what people hoped to gain by undertaking it, but the worth of it? No. It is unnecessary and outdated.
I agree 100%.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:

Post by Herbstlicht »

Juliet+1 wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 13:18 No, this book has not changed my mind about the Vietnam war at all. It was indeed, a travesty. I thought so then, and I still do.
Dito. I well understand why people mark it as "the loss of the American innocence "
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:

Post by Herbstlicht »

DC Brown wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 02:07 Yes, this has changed my view of the Vietnam conflict. I was a teen during the Vietnam WAR. We saw it on the news every night. It didn't affect me then, but this book has now. It was pointed out that the men in Washington only directed the war as if it was a stage for the enlisted men to play on. What a travesty this war was and all the other wars that have been fought through the ages.
I couldn't agree more.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Not really. I believe that wars can be averted if the participants want to. For the sake of the solďiers, women and children that die needlessly in these wars.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

Wars destroy. Nuclear wars destroy masses and today's government have no better way of checking the nuclear weapons acquired by Western and Islamic countries. The Vietnam War shows how much damage communism can cause.
Karenvanant
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Three Daughters of Eve
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karenvanant.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by Karenvanant »

War stories are always emotional and especially the Vietnam war. This book just made me realize again that there are no winners in a war and that every war has two sides to it.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

No, it did not change my views because the events of long ago will never change forever. It is so sad, good soldier are not treated well, when in fact what they did saves many lives.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”