Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Re: Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Karenvanant wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 15:05 War stories are always emotional and especially the Vietnam war. This book just made me realize again that there are no winners in a war and that every war has two sides to it.
I can't agree more!
VTEC lar it
Favorite Book: A Thousand Seeds of Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vtec-lar-it.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by VTEC lar it »

of course, it did! I have to admit I had this stereotypical perspective of soldiers in war. I always thought of soldiers in combat as some human extension of war machines! I can't believe how wrong I was. Soldier's ought to be treated with respect and honor because the horrors of war are heavy for a human soul to handle. At the end of the day, war has no winners. You have to survive and be the victor, because only the victors write the story. The losers are dead.
roymutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roymutuma.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by roymutuma »

Absolutely, I always treated the topic of war with a sense of civilian distance. This book has enabled me empathize with the characters and the day to day realities of the battle field.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

What did I learn about the Vietnam War that I didn't know before? I was unaware that the Vietnamese had its own navy of junks. Also that the smuggling of arms and supplies was intercepted and curtailed by Navy action. Both US navy and the Junk Force.
Tabby Njoki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabby-njoki.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Tabby Njoki »

Absolutely! I have never been as keen as I am now on Veteran affairs! From the portrayal of the injustices committed in the name of VA to the honorable soldiers, I look in disgust at this revelation in current society.

This book is a must read
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

It didn't change my opinion of the war. I thought that the war was ill-advised and resulted in unnecessary loss of life, and that opinion remains unchanged. What it did is educate me about a conflict about which I knew very few details despite being alive at the time it was taking place. I think that this book stands to educate the public about the Vietnam war, and that is a very positive thing.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

No, I dont think so. It can help me get a view of veterans life after the war.
Spencer Mack
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I love reading military based books although generally focused on the world Wars, I have read some on the Vietnam War. There is always the reoccurring theme of the senselessness of it all, and we are always biased by what history tells us from our own country's or allies point of view, it's easy to forget that there are the oppositions views are sometimes as equally valid
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

The book didn't change my mind about the Viet Nam war. I was a teenager on into my early twenties during this war, and, as I've mentioned before, I had two uncles, a brother-in-law, and acquaintances who served in this nonsensical war. I lost a cousin from a brain tumor that was a direct result of her dad having been exposed to Agent Orange. I hated the war then, and I hate it now! It was so unnecessary for American troops to be involved in that conflict. And the cruel way they were treated when they returned home.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I wouldn't say that it changed my mind or my way of thinking about the war, but it gives more perspective. That is one of the things that I love about historical fiction. Whether it is a topic that you already know a lot about, or one that is completely new to you, you are almost always going to come away with a different (or at least interesting) point of view.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

There are multiple books on Vietnam War that I have read, but I never really had given it my all to understand what truly went on during that dreaded event. I really do believe that wars can be avoided if only both sides were a little more rational. Why put so many innocent lives at stake?
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Getting to know the conditions of war, their effects and how the victims strive to live, especially from the victims themselves, truly makes as less judgemental.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

War is always a tragedy and heartbreaking on either side. No country ever wins in the truest sense of the word. It brings more conflict and trauma.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Yes, this changed my view about the Vietnam war. It gave more insight to what really happened. It also shows how our system has been broken.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Karina Nowak wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 21:24 I haven't read the book yet but I don't think people in this day and age can understand the 'why' behind any war, ever. Sure we understood how it started, what people hoped to gain by undertaking it, but the worth of it? No. It is unnecessary and outdated.
I couldn't agree more. If history has taught us anything about wars, it's that there are no true victors.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”