Overall rating and opinion of "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller

Post by ernest mwangemi »

I love the book and the way the writer included humor In the story is what I enjoyed the most
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

The Vietnam war leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of a few people in this novel. No human deserves to be uncompensated.
glors19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by glors19 »

It´s an excellent book!! Its language is very easy to tread, you can´t stop reading once you start. I really love the description the author gives. I would really recommend it, especially since it pones up your eyes to the truth of how veterans are treated, and how the world really sees them when they deserve a lot more!!!
NikkiDrag
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NikkiDrag »

While I have yet to finish the book, I have nothing but good things to say about iy. The author did a wonderful job describing the realities of being a veteran. I, for some reason, really liked how he presented conversations between the characters throughout the book. I was also intrigued how he was able to capture the feelings of anger and uneasiness when the veteran's pensions were in jeopardy. War books usually are not what I read, but I'm halfway through this and I give it a 4 out of 4 stars.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

I haven't read this great piece of work. However, based on the views of those who've enjoyed this book, I must confess that it will be on my want to read shelf for the month of December.
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

djr6090 wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 09:43
Lunastella wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 20:17
djr6090 wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 11:29 I completed Deadly Waters[/i....

Thank you for sharing your personal experience. I wasn't sure about finishing this book, but your account made me remember the importance of this time period.

Bless you. Too many people prefer to turn away, just like some of Zach's neighbors did when he got sick. Still do.

Thank You for your insight into the unfortunate way seriously ill folks are often treated by those close to them.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

randy6175 wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 01:08
djr6090 wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 09:43
Lunastella wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 20:17

Thank you for sharing your personal experience. I wasn't sure about finishing this book, but your account made me remember the importance of this time period.
Bless you. Too many people prefer to turn away, just like some of Zach's neighbors did when he got sick. Still do.
Thank You for your insight into the unfortunate way seriously ill folks are often treated by those close to them.
Definitely. All the more reason to share books like this one. There is more fact than fiction in it.
justjim
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Trying to Save Piggy Sneed
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjim.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by justjim »

I haven't read this book yet but have it on my list. This was a very important time in our history and I'd like to know as much as possible about it. Thanks!
"Never memorize something that you can look up." Albert Einstein
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

gali wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 00:01 This is a discussion topic for the November 2019 Book of the Month, Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
This book is an eye-opener. I began to understand the terrible things veterans suffer from the system they served and sacrificed their lives for. What I like most is the humor the author added. I like the part Zach and Chief played slapsies. I strongly recommend this book to all so that they would learn to honor veterans and military personnels. I'd rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I felt it was an excellent book and would rate it 4 stars. It was a little hard to get into at the beginning because of the descriptions of the ship and the different dialects. However, once I got into it, I found it very compelling. I thought it served a very good cause in bringing the sailors plight in the war to the front and their mistreatment by the VA afterward. My least favorite aspect was the ending.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I have not yet read this book, however, I have lately found myself to be more fascinated with war stories that focus on the aftermath of the war itself. It feels more relatable to me that way. From the title of the book I can safely deduce that a reasonable portion of the book is dedicated to the post-war period of the Vietnam Naval War. That, to me, is golden.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 03:26
gali wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 00:01 This is a discussion topic for the November 2019 Book of the Month, Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
This book is an eye-opener. I began to understand the terrible things veterans suffer from the system they served and sacrificed their lives for. What I like most is the humor the author added. I like the part Zach and Chief played slapsies. I strongly recommend this book to all so that they would learn to honor veterans and military personnels. I'd rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
I like that the book contains elements of humor. It's needed to balance out in such a book that will undoubtedly contain some gruesome scenes. I hope it was tastefully integrated though.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I really did enjoy this book; even more than I expected. The phonetics added life to the characters. The author's writing style is easy to comprehend.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Overall I though the book was slow at the start and had a few unnecessary scenes throughout, but the ending was packed with emotion. Once I got through all the accented dialogue and extreme detail of ship operations in the first chapters, I started enjoying the book more. By the second portion I was deeply involved in Zach’s story and hoped for the best even though I knew something bad was going to happen when the lumps first appeared. I’d definitely recommend this book to people who enjoy historical fiction but would give them a heads up about the dialogue and detail at the beginning.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

The book gives one a little understanding of the Vietnam war

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”