Zack and Tally

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Re: Zack and Tally

Post by Paige Alvarado »

LV2R wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 22:06 I also liked that Zach remained faithful to Tally alone. I liked that they wrote to each other and occasionally got to spend time together before Zach had served his time in the Navy and was able to marry Tally. I thought it was really good that Tally got her nursing degree and was able to work.
Yes! I was suprised that he remained faithful considering the pressure he experienced. Even in California when Rhonda came around, I thought for sure he was going to mess it up.
Paige Alvarado

Post by Paige Alvarado »

MsH2k wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 23:13 ***spoiler*** :shhh:
Their relationship was beautiful. They were truly meant to be together. I was glad Tally’s mom supported their relationship. She recognized true love. It was sweet when Zack encouraged Tally to find love again after he was gone.
I liked that, too. I was confused, however. He must have gotten sick years after serving, or perhaps he survived longer than I thought. Tally was 55 at his funeral? That's where I was lost.
Paige Alvarado

Post by Paige Alvarado »

djr6090 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 11:14
LV2R wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 22:06 I also liked that Zach remained faithful to Tally alone. I liked that they wrote to each other and occasionally got to spend time together before Zach had served his time in the Navy and was able to marry Tally. I thought it was really good that Tally got her nursing degree and was able to work.
Wasn't it nice that Zach kept Tally in the loop as far as what he experienced in his letters. The letters made me tear up.
Couldn't agree more. The letter chapters were some of my favorite.
Paige Alvarado

Post by Paige Alvarado »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 14:24 I’m closing in on the end of the book and I have enjoyed how loyal they stayed to each other. The letters from Zach chapters were some of my favorites and I liked getting to see them together during his leave and liberty.
I agree. They were so sweet together.
Paige Alvarado

Post by Paige Alvarado »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 03:05
B Creech wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 19:17 I think their relationship was awesome. Not many male/female relationships lasted through that war. So many guys didn't come home and those who did come home changed in some way.
I totally agree with you. She was lucky to have her man come back, being a sweet man. Unlike others who weren't so lucky.
I agree! It makes me wonder if Kearns had a lady back home that he just left behind. I think there is something that can be learned from Zack and Tally
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I think Zack shows real strength of character for not taking the ladies at the Acme club and at his friend's house up on their offers of a good time. He was a good guy. People act like it's impossible for men to resist temptation, but it isn't. There are at least a few with Zack's strength of character.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

pshaw1414 wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 11:35
Their relationship was beautiful. They were truly meant to be together. I was glad Tally’s mom supported their relationship. She recognized true love. It was sweet when Zack encouraged Tally to find love again after he was gone.
I liked that, too. I was confused, however. He must have gotten sick years after serving, or perhaps he survived longer than I thought. Tally was 55 at his funeral? That's where I was lost.
I was surprised so much time had passed as well.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

Sorry I lost you. Zack contracted Soft Tissue Sarcoma prior to his discharge in 1968, and was diagnosed with it in early 1969. [page 345.] On page 354, in 1969, "As the seasons changed, Zack didn't get any better, but then again he didn't get a whole lot worse." Now, on page 359, "In the early winter of 2001, Zack and Tally were once again summoned down to the VA hospital." This is when Zack was given his new and fatal diagnosis of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Until that time Zack's Soft Tissue sarcoma was in remission with flare ups. Hope this helps.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 14:07 I think Zack shows real strength of character for not taking the ladies at the Acme club and at his friend's house up on their offers of a good time. He was a good guy. People act like it's impossible for men to resist temptation, but it isn't. There are at least a few with Zack's strength of character.
I am hoping that a few character like Zack grows bigger. Resisting temptation today is very rear, even if how good you know a person is. Olongapo is known for fornication during those times, and yet as time goes by, the old tale still the same, 50 years later.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The love story between Zack and Tally is one of the highlights of the book. I admire Zack's faithfulness to his one true love, even when others tried to tempt him. It was refreshing to see Zack accepting the advice to open up to his future bride and let her into the deepest recesses of his heart. They shared two of the main ingredients that make a relationship work: fidelity and openness.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I agree with you! It is so touching that she was the only woman for him, through thick and thin. Even when he went to the beach with all the sexy, tanned surfer ladies, he only had eyes for her. I also love how Zack's commitment to Tally got him respect from other women in the story, both overseas and at home.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Oh my goodness I cried so badly during that part!!!!! :( :cry: :cry: I really lost it when Tally felt it happen! He went behind the shed.... and she just knew. It broke my heart. Zack was strong and dutiful until the end... he just couldn't take it anymore. But you're right, the fact he encouraged her to marry again was truly touching.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

B Creech wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 19:17 I think their relationship was awesome. Not many male/female relationships lasted through that war. So many guys didn't come home and those who did come home changed in some way.
You are right. I also knew nothing about the "Dear John" letters until I read this book.
Paige Alvarado

Post by Paige Alvarado »

randy6175 wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 01:02
Sorry I lost you. Zack contracted Soft Tissue Sarcoma prior to his discharge in 1968, and was diagnosed with it in early 1969. [page 345.] On page 354, in 1969, "As the seasons changed, Zack didn't get any better, but then again he didn't get a whole lot worse." Now, on page 359, "In the early winter of 2001, Zack and Tally were once again summoned down to the VA hospital." This is when Zack was given his new and fatal diagnosis of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Until that time Zack's Soft Tissue sarcoma was in remission with flare ups. Hope this helps.
That definitely clears it up!! Thanks, Mr. Miller, for your comment! I loved your book so much.
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Sinclairess wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 17:30
Oh my goodness I cried so badly during that part!!!!! :( :cry: :cry: I really lost it when Tally felt it happen! He went behind the shed.... and she just knew. It broke my heart. Zack was strong and dutiful until the end... he just couldn't take it anymore. But you're right, the fact he encouraged her to marry again was truly touching.
Me, too. I am struggling to read that part as well. I can't imagine the sacrifices they made during the war, and yet the ending was very heart-wrenching. Zach has a big dream with Tally, however, Agent Orange ruined their lives or many lives.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”