Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Re: Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Post by djr6090 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 11:45 I enjoyed the interactions between the characters. Reading about the suffering of the civilians caught in the crossfire between the U.S. forces and the Viet Cong was painful, but I can't say that it was a "least favorite" part of the book because I think it is absolutely necessary for people to know the horrors of war. Perhaps if more people read books like this one, fewer would be quite so gung-ho about getting involved in wars.
I do so agree with you.
Tabby Njoki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabby-njoki.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Tabby Njoki »

My favorite and least favorite things about the book are somehow intertwined.

The VA.

How despicable are their actions! Why would anyone treat such deserving veterans with disrespect and outright cruelty!

However, upon realization, that turned out to be the best part of the book too.
The author made me empathize completely with the Veterans from the Vietnamese war and managed to make me empathize with their cause.

This is a really good book.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

My favorite part of the book was Zack’s (and later, Tally’s) relationship with Bill “the professor” Holmann and his family. It showed that in the military, lasting friendships form between people who otherwise would not have met. I also liked that the two families had something in common - farming - even though they lived on opposite sides of the country and had very different income levels.

My least favorite part was that Boudreau’s anger and desire for revenge was so intense and lasted for so long that he retaliated not only against the sailors that beat him, but the many thousands of other Blue Water Navy vets and their families.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

DC Brown wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 02:20
djr6090 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 08:40 I liked that the author could show the action onboard the Navy vessels without using profanity. As I recall, the language of the day was sprinkled liberally with vulgarities. The interaction and the accents animated the actors. I also liked that he showed the perspective of the enemy occasionally. But I disliked the scene where Zach watched the village being incinerated by Naval bombardment. But my least favorite part was in the parts of the book where we are reminded of the extent of the American chemical warfare against the Vietnamese.
I noticed that when Zach first got on the Hawke there was some salty language. Fortunately, the author must have felt that one example of that was enough!! I loved the way he was able to spell out the accents of the various players. My least favorite part was the aftermath. I remember some of that. Public opinion was against anyone who had worn a uniform, whether they served in 'Nam or not.
" Actually, I am not a fan of bad language, but I had to make peace with it to keep the dialog real. I relegated the F Word to Chief McCoy, Lance Corporal Boudreau, and various characters under enormous stress. I will tell you this: this story is as true as true gets. Thank you, Randy Miller

l
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

One of my favorite part is when Zack was able to visit his family. Walking with his sister in the farm is such a lovable moment between siblings. This part makes me remember my childhood days with my bro.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

I guess my favorite would definitely be the wedding! it was so relaxing among all the drama. It reminded me of hunger games! As for least favorite, perhaps the unfair treatment of veterans broke my heart
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 03:40 My favorite part of the book was reading through the long rivalry between jarheads and squids was presented. I had heard about this rivalry, but the author made me experience it through the book. My least favorite part of the story was the horrors of war and the conspiracy aimed at denying veterans their pensions.
What was your favorite and least favorite part of the story?
My favorite part is where Martin played slapsies with the boss. Quite a funny scene. We have the least favorite part in common.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

B Creech wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 13:36 Having lived during the time of the Viet Nam War sometimes it is hard for me to separate actual facts from the book! I saw Viet Nam vets come home, many of them broken in body and spirit. I can say my least favorite part of the book was the way the characters were treated by the VA - it was a reality for those I knew and cared about that had served this country during such a terrible time. I know my ex-husband and his brother would not go to the VA for healthcare in later years because they were not treated right during their military terms. I also remember seeing homeless Viet Nam vets riding around our little town in Ohio in wheelchairs with American flags on their chairs and most people would walk past them without even nodding their heads or smiling at them! They were homeless because they were denied their benefits even though they were in wheelchairs due to being injured in the war. Yes, the way the VA treated them in the book was definitely my least favorite part!
Well said! That was my least favorite aspect as well, along with the ending. It had me in tears.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

My favorite parts were the descriptions of culture in the PI and the relationship between Zach and Tally. My least favorite part was the heavily accented dialogue in the first chapters and the way that Zach died. It was sad what the loss of hope drove him to do.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 08:50 My favorite parts were the descriptions of culture in the PI and the relationship between Zach and Tally. My least favorite part was the heavily accented dialogue in the first chapters and the way that Zach died. It was sad what the loss of hope drove him to do.
I agree about the dialog in the first part of the book! I had a difficult time getting into the story because of it! It was a little too much!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

My favourite part is how the author explained the military scenes with such detailing and the aftermaths of a war.
Beckas79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beckas79.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Beckas79 »

Still reading, but so far my favorite part is the descriptions of life on the Hawke. Very interesting and detailed. Least favorite part is trying to read the phonetic spelling of Vermont and Southern accents for some of the characters. :P
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Fazzier wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 06:01 My favorite aspect was the author's explanation of various naval terms. Terms like NCO's, EOT, and CIC, among others, made learn more about navy and how it works. My least favorite part was unconventional omission of commas where I thought they would me more appropriate. That, however, is a matter of a reader's taste and preference.
I agree with you. There were so many specialized terms that it was almost like another language to me! A bit overwhelming, but I learned quite a bit.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 08:50 My favorite parts were the descriptions of culture in the PI and the relationship between Zach and Tally. My least favorite part was the heavily accented dialogue in the first chapters and the way that Zach died. It was sad what the loss of hope drove him to do.
I agree with the dialogue, I am really struggling with those parts. I often flip back and forth the meaning at the end of the book. I usually wonder, 'oh, wait, what does it mean?'
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I really enjoyed reading about Zack's time at the beach house, where he had the opportunity to share his views on the war with people who had different opinions from him. I think it showed his intelligence and how carefully he thought things through. My least favorite part was reading about the aftermath because it made me so sad and angry to think of how vets have continued to suffer when they deserve to finally experience some peace.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”