Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Post by wordslinger42 »

jeminah28 wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 18:58
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 08:50 My favorite parts were the descriptions of culture in the PI and the relationship between Zach and Tally. My least favorite part was the heavily accented dialogue in the first chapters and the way that Zach died. It was sad what the loss of hope drove him to do.
I agree with the dialogue, I am really struggling with those parts. I often flip back and forth the meaning at the end of the book. I usually wonder, 'oh, wait, what does it mean?'
I think the dialogue helped in some respects, as far as making each character distinct, but I did have to re-read in order to figure out what was being said, which was really frustrating sometimes.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

Infinite I wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 06:30 My favourite part is how the author explained the military scenes with such detailing and the aftermaths of a war.
I agree! Before reading this book, I didn't know very much about the Navy, and it was interesting to learn so much while reading. He definitely did a fantastic job of making the military scenes realistic.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

wordslinger42 wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 14:02
jeminah28 wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 18:58
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 08:50 My favorite parts were the descriptions of culture in the PI and the relationship between Zach and Tally. My least favorite part was the heavily accented dialogue in the first chapters and the way that Zach died. It was sad what the loss of hope drove him to do.
I agree with the dialogue, I am really struggling with those parts. I often flip back and forth the meaning at the end of the book. I usually wonder, 'oh, wait, what does it mean?'
I think the dialogue helped in some respects, as far as making each character distinct, but I did have to re-read in order to figure out what was being said, which was really frustrating sometimes.
At least, I know how their dialogue may sound in real life. Though, I cannot totally pronounce the accent, but I guess, I can understand a bit.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

My favorite parts show how selfless Zack was when it came to the loyalty he showed others and his ethics in doing a job even though he was not proud of or didn't even like what he was doing but he did it without complaint. My least favorite part is that no matter what side of the navy he was on he still fought in the war and the VA should have been as loyal to him as he was to his country.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

chelhack wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 22:02 My favorite parts show how selfless Zack was when it came to the loyalty he showed others and his ethics in doing a job even though he was not proud of or didn't even like what he was doing but he did it without complaint. My least favorite part is that no matter what side of the navy he was on he still fought in the war and the VA should have been as loyal to him as he was to his country.
The sad fact, until now the families of the Agent Orange victim are still fighting for that case in the senate. The case is moving inch by inch.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

What I liked most was the language was milder than I expected given the genre and the story and time period.
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Syson Dolph »

My least favorite part of the book was the Vietnamese's English. I had a hard time comprehending some of the words, so I had to re-read a sentence twice so as to understand what the writer meant. But then again, I loved that Miller added such to his context because writings like that make the story stand out. I loved the humor of this story, because in amidst danger the occupants of the destroyer still made fun of each other.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

My favourite part of the book is that of the relationship between Zechariah Martin and Tally. The bar girls could have stolen Martin's heart if he did not truly love Tally. I did not like the way the Navy veterans who were affected by Agent Orange were treated. They ought to have been well taken care of.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

My least favorite part was the way the veterans were treated by the VA. The downside was the aftermath, I disliked the treatment meted to those that were perceived to be identified with the uniform.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

wordslinger42 wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 14:01 I really enjoyed reading about Zack's time at the beach house, where he had the opportunity to share his views on the war with people who had different opinions from him. I think it showed his intelligence and how carefully he thought things through. My least favorite part was reading about the aftermath because it made me so sad and angry to think of how vets have continued to suffer when they deserve to finally experience some peace.
I'm so glad the beach party part was included. It makes a good balance against the part where the hippies threw stuff at Zach and called him a baby killer. Not all youth of the time blamed VietNam on the soldiers. For my part, I just wanted my friends to be brought home.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

My least favorite part was reading through the chapters made up of letters. The story seemed to drag in these spots and wasn't as interesting. And my favorite part is when McCoy leads the mission of revenge against the antagonistic marines. That whole process struck me as fascinating.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

My favorite part was when Zack returned home and married his wife and they loved each other.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

My least favorite part was when the Marines physically beat the sailors, creating a harsh rivalry with them.
Isn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isn.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Isn »

My favourite part was the detailing with which the author wrote about those times and naval ships.
My least favorite was aftermath of wars which is so heart wrenching. All that a war brings is devastating pain.
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

The author Randy Miller did a great job of portraying each character, creating their own expressions, mannerisms, and accents. For sure, that was one of my favorite parts. The least favorite was that there wasn't always a lot happening. Even though, the writing style propelled me forward.

For those who don’t know much about the Vietnam's war, this can be a nice window into this part of the history.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”