MILF fantasies and mental health

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

MILF fantasies and mental health

Post by Laura Lee »

What are your thoughts on Adam's fantasies of his mother and jealousy of his father? Based on the various elements of the book (such as how his repulsion of Vikki was explained as being genetic), would you consider this integral to the plot? Or did you get the feeling this was added for just shock value and not essential for the overall development of the story?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I have only read the sample, so cannot speak for the entire story. I suppose every author relates to the Oedipus complex and would use it if the opportunity arose. It does have shock value. It is a good question, and If I read more, I shall look for the answer.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Abacus wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 14:11 I have only read the sample, so cannot speak for the entire story. I suppose every author relates to the Oedipus complex and would use it if the opportunity arose. It does have shock value. It is a good question, and If I read more, I shall look for the answer.
Thanks for your reply. Honestly, I find this element quite off-putting. Just curious to hear from others. :)
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think this was part of Adam not understanding who he was and why he would be attracted to his mom. This added to the readers' first impression of Adam as being a dark, moody, and a possibly evil guy, though he fought his feelings. I was glad when Adam found out who his mom was and why he had been attracted to her.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I'm finding it rather strange and can't possibly figure out why it's important to the plot. I am not yet done with the book, so maybe my view on it will change. But for now, I remain skeptical for sure. :eusa-think:
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Though the this MILG issue is controversial and sensitive at the same time, it is also very intriguing and unusual to be tackled in a novel. I would like to read this book and probably do my research also regarding this issue on mental health.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

In my opinion it doesn’t necessarily add to the plot but more of a character development tool for Adam. It was slightly distracting as well and could have been left out or presented in a different way.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossroads by Andrew Slac
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

That was the only part of the book I didn't like. If it had not had the sexual undertone then I would have dismissed the jealousy being equal to a spoiled person saying " me me me ."
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Kaia_Faye
Currently Reading: The Count of Monte Cristo
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaia-faye.html
Latest Review: Donny and Vladdy by M.G. Crisci
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kaia_Faye »

I found it quite jarring at first (I also briefly wondered what I'd gotten myself into), but I thought the author did a good job in explaining it. It made Adam's character development much more noticeable throughout the book. Definitely a strange choice, but she managed it pretty well.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I found it quite off-putting too. I think it was the result of the well-known writer's advice: hook your readers with the first 10 pages. But I think she messed it up, because it didn't hook me at all, quite the contrary.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

What are your thoughts on Adam's fantasies of his mother and jealousy of his father?
There's a psychological theory behind this called the Oedipus Complex. The idea is that in childhood, kids get attached to the parent of the opposite sex and find the parent of the same sex to be a "rival" of sorts. Now, this was initially produced by Freud who is, at this point, generally ignored because his theories were so sexually based.
The point of bringing this up is because your above question reminded me of it. I'm curious is the author is aware of the complex and tried to work it in the book. I'm also not a dude, so I can't attest to this, but perhaps it happens more often than we realize and the author decided to draw attention to it rather than avoid it?
Either way, it is definitely uncomfortable for me to read. The other comments I'm reading seem to feel this way too.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

LV2R wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 00:26 I think this was part of Adam not understanding who he was and why he would be attracted to his mom. This added to the readers' first impression of Adam as being a dark, moody, and a possibly evil guy, though he fought his feelings. I was glad when Adam found out who his mom was and why he had been attracted to her.
I agree that it definitely added to the impression of Adam as dark and moody; possibly, even, in a mentally questionable state. I'm just not sure it was actually necessary to the plot. It seems there were plenty of other ways to get that across. Not my cup of tea!
Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Ever_Reading wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 01:55 I'm finding it rather strange and can't possibly figure out why it's important to the plot. I am not yet done with the book, so maybe my view on it will change. But for now, I remain skeptical for sure. :eusa-think:
Thanks for responding. I'd love to hear your thoughts after you've finished the book.
Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Misael wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 08:26 Though the this MILG issue is controversial and sensitive at the same time, it is also very intriguing and unusual to be tackled in a novel. I would like to read this book and probably do my research also regarding this issue on mental health.
This is true, that it is unusual to be tackled in a novel--particularly a young adult novel. Not sure, IMO, if it's appropriate for teens.
Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

lwahls2 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 08:37 In my opinion it doesn’t necessarily add to the plot but more of a character development tool for Adam. It was slightly distracting as well and could have been left out or presented in a different way.
Thanks for responding! Yeah, I thought the author's presentation of Adam as having some issues was sufficient without that added element. But that's my opinion.
Laura Lee

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”