Terry

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Terry

Post by KDJ »

Although a small part in the overall novel, Terry's character and situation stayed with me. The fact that there did not seem to be closure for her family who posted flyers for her was sad to me. Does Terry change what you think about both Adam and Carly? If so, is that change good or bad?
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Although I liked Adam and Carly and were glad they became a couple, the situation with Terry did make me wonder about them. Neither of them mentioned it to each other, and neither of them seemed to have a conscience about it. If I were Carly, I would want to know exactly how my boyfriend had been involved instead of just ignoring it. I agree about the parents never getting closure. It was like Terry didn't matter so why mention her anymore!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
KDJ
Currently Reading:

Post by KDJ »

B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 17:28 Although I liked Adam and Carly and were glad they became a couple, the situation with Terry did make me wonder about them. Neither of them mentioned it to each other, and neither of them seemed to have a conscience about it. If I were Carly, I would want to know exactly how my boyfriend had been involved instead of just ignoring it. I agree about the parents never getting closure. It was like Terry didn't matter so why mention her anymore!
That is what I thought also. Kane brought flyers to Carly at one point, that I thought were Terry's missing person flyers, but nothing came of that. And since Carly incinerated his hideaway, she saw all the other things he had. She just acted like none of that happened. :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

KDJ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 21:37
B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 17:28 Although I liked Adam and Carly and were glad they became a couple, the situation with Terry did make me wonder about them. Neither of them mentioned it to each other, and neither of them seemed to have a conscience about it. If I were Carly, I would want to know exactly how my boyfriend had been involved instead of just ignoring it. I agree about the parents never getting closure. It was like Terry didn't matter so why mention her anymore!
That is what I thought also. Kane brought flyers to Carly at one point, that I thought were Terry's missing person flyers, but nothing came of that. And since Carly incinerated his hideaway, she saw all the other things he had. She just acted like none of that happened. :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Exactly! She didn't even confront Adam about it!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

My biggest complaint. He causes this girl's death and it just gets shuffled off to non importance since they get to be superhero happy lovebirds.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

KDJ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 11:32 Although a small part in the overall novel, Terry's character and situation stayed with me. The fact that there did not seem to be closure for her family who posted flyers for her was sad to me. Does Terry change what you think about both Adam and Carly? If so, is that change good or bad?
Totally changes the way I view them. I mean you have a dead girl on your concise and you ignore it? Okay I get Adam was scared. Nut when Carly knew about it I really think she should have told somebody. I really wish Terry's death should have more of an impact in the story.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 02:38 My biggest complaint. He causes this girl's death and it just gets shuffled off to non importance since they get to be superhero happy lovebirds.
Yes, I feel that you can not just walkway after hiding an innocent dead body and live life as if it was just another pebble on the road. It should have consequences.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

KDJ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 21:37
Yes, I totally judge Carly in this matter. She had a chance to do something but she did not.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

KDJ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 11:32 Although a small part in the overall novel, Terry's character and situation stayed with me. The fact that there did not seem to be closure for her family who posted flyers for her was sad to me. Does Terry change what you think about both Adam and Carly? If so, is that change good or bad?
It was odd how that whole situation seemed to just fall into the background. I also would think Adam would still fight with his inner demons and urges as the story progressed and gradually overcome them, but once he met Carly everything just stopped. And if I were Carly, I would be concenred that he was involved with a missing person and try to find out what I could in order to even trust him.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Letora wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 05:20
It was odd how that whole situation seemed to just fall into the background. I also would think Adam would still fight with his inner demons and urges as the story progressed and gradually overcome them, but once he met Carly everything just stopped. And if I were Carly, I would be concenred that he was involved with a missing person and try to find out what I could in order to even trust him.
True whatever power Carly had to detect characters she should have done something to at least ensure that Terry's death receives proper closure.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

So far I am only about 30% into the book but the way Adam deals with Terry is really interesting and I wonder if there will be any more. I am at the point where his feelings go Jo change and he is with Carly. Will he seek out anymore women who look like Jo if things don’t work out with, or if something happens to Carly?

I think it’s an interesting premise.
Crazycutie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazycutie.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Crazycutie »

I think that even if Terry wasn't important to the story anymore she would still be important to Adam's character development. Why mention Terry at all if she had no real significance?
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Howlan wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 05:03
Totally changes the way I view them. I mean you have a dead girl on your concise and you ignore it? Okay I get Adam was scared. Nut when Carly knew about it I really think she should have told somebody. I really wish Terry's death should have more of an impact in the story.
I agree completely. This definitely should have had a bigger effect on both Adam and Carly. I hated that the family got no closure! This seemed like a missed opportunity to develop the story and characters.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Ok I am through the entire book now and how this character’s death was handled was really weird. It seems like it was just a loose end that was tied up in the easiest way possible.
KDJ
Currently Reading:

Post by KDJ »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 15:24 So far I am only about 30% into the book but the way Adam deals with Terry is really interesting and I wonder if there will be any more. I am at the point where his feelings go Jo change and he is with Carly. Will he seek out anymore women who look like Jo if things don’t work out with, or if something happens to Carly?

I think it’s an interesting premise.
Yeah, that is an interesting premise. I can't think of anything to say without spoilers. 😀😀😀 this book is a really good read. Come back when your all done and tell us what you think about how Terry is handled in it😌😌😌
Last edited by KDJ on 03 Feb 2020, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”