Burning Questions 'Spoilers'

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Re: Burning Questions 'Spoilers'

Post by freshbook »

I thought there was a chance that his twin would be Vikki. I just had a weird feeling for some reason. Something that the author will most likely explain in the following book.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

SirLaddie wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 17:08 It was mentioned in the book at the end who and where the twin was. I don't want to give out any spoilers. It was revealed near the end.
Yes, it was the perfect bait for the new sequel.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

rbrochhausen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 23:04 I thought there was a chance that his twin would be Vikki. I just had a weird feeling for some reason. Something that the author will most likely explain in the following book.
Yes, that would really be an interesting twist.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Kelyn wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:41 Although not exactly a cliffhanger, this omission to what could be a very rich storyline reminded me a lot of the cliffhanger "Superhighway" ended with. In both cases, we are left with burning questions about "what happens to...*insert name*, leaving us ripe for having to buy the sequel. I'm not overly fond of this technique, but I think that's what was intended by the author.
yes, I would have preferred a new character introduction at the end of this book as a bait for the new sequel.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

BekkaN wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:55 SPOILERS
I was wondering the same thing throughout! I'm pretty sure the sequel is all about that storyline; it's called Split Adam I think. In my opinion, it would've been cool to do an ending chapter from the twin's point of view, almost like an after credit scene. That way we could know the author hadn't just forgotten to finish the storyline. I'm pretty confident he's working with the Iksha. His twin isn't Vikki though. Vikki is supposed to be in her late 20s, early 30's but her father forced her to take the youth serum. She is just his older half-sister.
I really enjoyed this book and I'm excited to see what the author will do in the sequel. There are so many twists and turns she could take to surprise her readers. I hope she continues to take risks and not play it safe.
Yes, the twin is definitely not Vikki, the twin is with the Iksha with Alexandria I think.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 01:39
I was wondering the same thing throughout! I'm pretty sure the sequel is all about that storyline; it's called Split Adam I think. In my opinion, it would've been cool to do an ending chapter from the twin's point of view, almost like an after credit scene. That way we could know the author hadn't just forgotten to finish the storyline. I'm pretty confident he's working with the Iksha. His twin isn't Vikki though. Vikki is supposed to be in her late 20s, early 30's but her father forced her to take the youth serum. She is just his older half-sister.
I really enjoyed this book and I'm excited to see what the author will do in the sequel. There are so many twists and turns she could take to surprise her readers. I hope she continues to take risks and not play it safe.
Yes, the twin is definitely not Vikki, the twin is with the Iksha with Alexandria I think.
The twin is named Dylan. And yes, he is working with the Iksha. I wonder how that ended up happening.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:41
The twin is named Dylan. And yes, he is working with the Iksha. I wonder how that ended up happening.
Is it in the second book??
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

I'm hoping the twin is the good one since Adam is a terror. It would make me less uneasy that I disliked a main character so very much.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

There are a lot of questions leftover from this book, but I don't know if they all make sense to bring into the second book. My biggest confusion is that Carly seemed to think she had destroyed Iksha, but the lab was said to be a decoy? And where was Nikolay? And Alexandra and Adam's supposed twin? If those three aren't gone, then Iksha isn't gone. I wasn't sure if I missed something or if it just doesn't make sense.
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

Howlan wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 00:01
Yes and also Vikky might have to play an important role to play in the series as well.
Yeah I’d hope Vikki would come back and not just be killed by the council.

What confuses me about Vikki is why Adam wasn’t attracted to her—even a little bit? She has the serum in her too but Adam always seems repulsed by her. I was thinking as he obviously can’t get together with his mother that Vikki would have been his girlfriend at the start. He might not exactly know why, but there would be something about her he’s drawn to. Of course, once Carly turned up that would have been the end of it.
“You know, for kids!”
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Howlan wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 11:46
Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:41

Is it in the second book??
No, it was in the first book.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

nfdoughe wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 16:29 There are a lot of questions leftover from this book, but I don't know if they all make sense to bring into the second book. My biggest confusion is that Carly seemed to think she had destroyed Iksha, but the lab was said to be a decoy? And where was Nikolay? And Alexandra and Adam's supposed twin? If those three aren't gone, then Iksha isn't gone. I wasn't sure if I missed something or if it just doesn't make sense.
Yes I was suprised when all these inexperienced teens went to destroy the Iksha lab. I thought they would.be all captured. Then they won easily and the lab was a decoy. So I was quite disappointed with this kind of ending.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

silvafaerie wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 16:16 Is anyone else wondering what happened to Adam's twin? Since we learned he existed I kept expecting him to be introduced in the book but he was never talked about again. It is driving me crazy. Anyone have any guesses about what is going on?
Any other questions that you can't wait to have answered?
Maybe we can hope to see his twin in a sequel?
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

I honestly wasn't interested enough in the book to care about the unanswered things. I'm sure they're meant to lead into the sequel and may well be more of the focus, or the author could just wave it off like other things in the book.
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by mama_ash »

I definitely think this wasn't elaborated on intentionally - makes for a great storyline in the next novel (which I can't wait to read!).

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”