Karly Vs Vadam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Karly Vs Vadam

Post by Nym182 »

Kane and Carly (=Karly) have a very strong bond. Kane is Carly's best friend (besides Adam) and a lot of drama was caused when he kissed her.

Val and Adam form a quick yet powerful bond as well.

It seems that there has been some justification of Kane and Carly maintaining their friendship after the kiss because Adam has a female friend as well.

Adam decides to not give Kane a "hard time" about the kiss because he has Val for a friend... However, Adam also mentions that he doesn't think Val is attracted to men, meaning she's not the same "threat" Kane is.

Does this change the way you see the relationships? Should her and Adam's friendship be used to forgive Kane for kissing his girlfriend considering he and Val (most likely) will never have that type of attraction?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

I think Adam did what he did not confront Kane himself was quite mature. I think he knew that doing so, would result in Carly losing Kane's friendship which she treasured a lot.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I think when Adam and Val formed a friendship so quickly maybe it helped Adam to see that there can be just friendship between the opposite sex. Granted, he thinks Val isn't attracted to guys but Carly doesn't give him a hard time over his and Val's friendship so perhaps that opened his eyes about Carly and Kane. Sometimes the more you object to something the apter it is to push two people together!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

The relationships were kind of weird, but that added more intrigue to the tale. I think Adam not going direct at Kane for kissing his girlfriend was sensible. After all, Kane didn't force the kiss on her.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 13:48 I think Adam did what he did not confront Kane himself was quite mature. I think he knew that doing so, would result in Carly losing Kane's friendship which she treasured a lot.
I do think that it was mature, I just don't find that level of maturity in high schoolers realistic.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

B Creech wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 19:42 I think when Adam and Val formed a friendship so quickly maybe it helped Adam to see that there can be just friendship between the opposite sex. Granted, he thinks Val isn't attracted to guys but Carly doesn't give him a hard time over his and Val's friendship so perhaps that opened his eyes about Carly and Kane. Sometimes the more you object to something the apter it is to push two people together!
That is an excellent point!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

OfficialEmma wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 04:01 The relationships were kind of weird, but that added more intrigue to the tale. I think Adam not going direct at Kane for kissing his girlfriend was sensible. After all, Kane didn't force the kiss on her.
True, I just don't find that sensibility realistic for high schoolers... at least it wasn't in the high schoolers I knew/wa :lol2:
OfficialEmma

Post by OfficialEmma »

Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 10:29
OfficialEmma wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 04:01 The relationships were kind of weird, but that added more intrigue to the tale. I think Adam not going direct at Kane for kissing his girlfriend was sensible. After all, Kane didn't force the kiss on her.
True, I just don't find that sensibility realistic for high schoolers... at least it wasn't in the high schoolers I knew/wa :lol2:
LOL. True. Normally, a high school boyfriend will put up a fight. Kids! 😂
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

OfficialEmma wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:35
Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 10:29
LOL. True. Normally, a high school boyfriend will put up a fight. Kids! 😂
right? I've stayed mad about less for a longer period of time haha
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Yes especially since he is so hot-blooded and possessive about Carly, it is a surprise to see the sensible side of him.
OfficialEmma

Post by OfficialEmma »

Howlan wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 15:49
Yes especially since he is so hot-blooded and possessive about Carly, it is a surprise to see the sensible side of him.
LOL. I thought I was the only one who saw that.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

OfficialEmma wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 17:10
Howlan wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 15:49
LOL. I thought I was the only one who saw that.
Yes, it was really a shock to see such sensible behaviour from Adam. I think it is the second biggest shock I got in the book, the first being Adam incestuous feeling over his mother.
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

I was really surprised that Adam did such a mature thing. While reading it I kept thinking he was going to punch Kane at the last minute. I was curious why he sees his relationship with Val comparable to Kane and Carly’s tho because they’re really not the same with the romantic feelings. Maybe the rest of the series will spell it out.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Alyssa wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 09:58 I was really surprised that Adam did such a mature thing. While reading it I kept thinking he was going to punch Kane at the last minute. I was curious why he sees his relationship with Val comparable to Kane and Carly’s tho because they’re really not the same with the romantic feelings. Maybe the rest of the series will spell it out.
I agree! Val doesn't pose the same "threat" that Kane does and that definitely can be a huge influence... And you are right, Adam doing such a mature thing was one of the more mature things he has done in the book.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Alyssa wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 09:58 I was really surprised that Adam did such a mature thing. While reading it I kept thinking he was going to punch Kane at the last minute. I was curious why he sees his relationship with Val comparable to Kane and Carly’s tho because they’re really not the same with the romantic feelings. Maybe the rest of the series will spell it out.
Yes that the most mature thing Adam ever did in this book. His temper just vanished!

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”