Perversion or relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 115%

Perversion or relationship?

Post by John Owen »

What's your view, if Carly hadn't come into the scene, cocidering Adams hate for people which made it difficult for him to fall into a romantic relationship with anyone, could Adam fall for his Step mom, JoAnn?
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I think that at the beginning of the story Adam had already "fallen" for his mom. And I think eventually he would have acted on it as well... Considering that he eventually acted on his feelings to kidnap Terry.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Njkinny
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Empowered
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njkinny.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Njkinny »

Noosh wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:41 That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
I am also feeling the same and am undecided. I keep thinking if showing Adam like this is really necessary and considering it is a YA book, just plain weird and shocking.
Njkinny :techie-reference:
Njkinny
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Empowered
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njkinny.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Njkinny »

Adam’s fascination with JoAnn made me uncomfortable and had me thinking that this book should have been categorised in the Adult category, not YA. Please someone tell me if he improves further down the book because I am still undecided if I should continue reading it.
Njkinny :techie-reference:
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Noosh wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:41 That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
Yeah, there are some really weird and uncomfortable details in this book... most of it is pretty YA but then there are sentences that are just outrageous to have in a YA book.

P.S I love your profile pic!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Njkinny wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:55 Adam’s fascination with JoAnn made me uncomfortable and had me thinking that this book should have been categorised in the Adult category, not YA. Please someone tell me if he improves further down the book because I am still undecided if I should continue reading it.
They DO kinda explain why Adam has those thoughts, but it was a pretty weak explanation in my opinion. For the most part, it's just kinda cringy... but there are some weird sexual details that don't really serve a purpose to the story. They definitely made me pause and :gaah:
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I would like to think that he wouldn't have acted on his feelings for his adoptive mother. However, when she later confessed to sharing those feelings it caused some serious cringing on my part. This sounds like a plot for the erotica section on Amazon, not a young adult book!
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

I completely agree. It is just plain weird and it is making me want to quit this book. I don't know what to do!
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

Adam had definitely already developed an obsession with his stepmom that was highly disturbing. If Carly had not shown up I'm sure things would've escalated and it was difficult enough to read that part.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:34 I think that at the beginning of the story Adam had already "fallen" for his mom. And I think eventually he would have acted on it as well... Considering that he eventually acted on his feelings to kidnap Terry.
I would not say that he had fallen for her. He had an unusual attraction towards her.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Yes, I can understand it being weird for some people.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Njkinny wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:53
I am also feeling the same and am undecided. I keep thinking if showing Adam like this is really necessary and considering it is a YA book, just plain weird and shocking.
No, Adam like this is definitely not necessary. It is just the author adding some unusual toches to darken his character.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Njkinny wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:55 Adam’s fascination with JoAnn made me uncomfortable and had me thinking that this book should have been categorised in the Adult category, not YA. Please someone tell me if he improves further down the book because I am still undecided if I should continue reading it.
I would not say that Adam's character improves that much but I would say that the story is not as disappointing as you think it to be.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:28
Yeah, there are some really weird and uncomfortable details in this book... most of it is pretty YA but then there are sentences that are just outrageous to have in a YA book.

P.S I love your profile pic!
Yes the weird sexual overtones were really unnessesary.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”