Mark: good or bad?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
xuanmaii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuanmaii.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Mark: good or bad?

Post by xuanmaii »

Adam's father-Mark, though the way he treat his wife was kind of unacceptable, but he always tried to be a good father to Adam. Sometimes I felt pity for him because though not a perfect husband, he was a good dad, and till the end of his life he couldn't receive any kind of expression of love or gratitude from his son.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

xuanmaii wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 15:12 Adam's father-Mark, though the way he treat his wife was kind of unacceptable, but he always tried to be a good father to Adam. Sometimes I felt pity for him because though not a perfect husband, he was a good dad, and till the end of his life he couldn't receive any kind of expression of love or gratitude from his son.
I agree! While I don't condone what he did, I am guessing part of the reason he did it was he felt excluded from his family. There was the obvious bond between Jo and Adam, and everytime he tried to reach out to Adam he was shut down.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

I think that Mark was actually a good person. He loved his son and he initially loved his wife enough that he did not leave when they could not have their own child and turned to adoption. Even when his son was hateful towards him he still loved him. While I think the cheating was wrong he was looking for some kind of comfort considering all the strange things happening with his wife and son that he had no explanation for.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

xuanmaii wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 15:12 Adam's father-Mark, though the way he treat his wife was kind of unacceptable, but he always tried to be a good father to Adam. Sometimes I felt pity for him because though not a perfect husband, he was a good dad, and till the end of his life he couldn't receive any kind of expression of love or gratitude from his son.
Yes, Mark cared for his son. It was sad to see that he put in an effort to please Adam but Adam was not responsive towards him. And he was just killed off due to Adam being a descendant. Quite sad really!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:37
I agree! While I don't condone what he did, I am guessing part of the reason he did it was he felt excluded from his family. There was the obvious bond between Jo and Adam, and everytime he tried to reach out to Adam he was shut down.
Yes that could definitely have played a role in his affair!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Jac-o-lantern wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 04:25 I think that Mark was actually a good person. He loved his son and he initially loved his wife enough that he did not leave when they could not have their own child and turned to adoption. Even when his son was hateful towards him he still loved him. While I think the cheating was wrong he was looking for some kind of comfort considering all the strange things happening with his wife and son that he had no explanation for.
Yes, he did not feel a part of the family anyone and searched comforts outside the family. I am surprised Jo-Ann felt such guilty over him.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Jac-o-lantern wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 04:25 I think that Mark was actually a good person. He loved his son and he initially loved his wife enough that he did not leave when they could not have their own child and turned to adoption. Even when his son was hateful towards him he still loved him. While I think the cheating was wrong he was looking for some kind of comfort considering all the strange things happening with his wife and son that he had no explanation for.
Great point. In his mind, Mark was probably just seeking respect, affection, and validation from outside sources that seemed less combative and volatile. They say having children always changes a marriage, but considering the added inner turmoil his son was always fated to display, perhaps this outcome of infidelity was inevitable.
kaylahk17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahk17.html
Latest Review: The Chamberland Maze Run by Justin A. Evans

Post by kaylahk17 »

I think Mark's character was in a rough spot. I do not in any way condone cheating but I also see the relationship he was watching and missing out on. He saw the relationship between his wife and son and must have picked up on how strong it was. He also was excluded from a relationship with Adam. I would have felt hurt by that and unloved.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

I agree with this! And you make a good point about the adoption thing... He really tried to hard to make everyone happy at one point and never really got any credit for it...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

kaylahk17 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 08:53 I think Mark's character was in a rough spot. I do not in any way condone cheating but I also see the relationship he was watching and missing out on. He saw the relationship between his wife and son and must have picked up on how strong it was. He also was excluded from a relationship with Adam. I would have felt hurt by that and unloved.
I felt the same way too... Mark was really put in a pickle and I think he tried his best but he is only human after all.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 15:32
Great point. In his mind, Mark was probably just seeking respect, affection, and validation from outside sources that seemed less combative and volatile. They say having children always changes a marriage, but considering the added inner turmoil his son was always fated to display, perhaps this outcome of infidelity was inevitable.
I don't think Mark gets enough thought regarding the fact that he has pretty much always been the third wheel in his family.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 08:50
Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:37
Yes that could definitely have played a role in his affair!
Makes Mark a lot more sympathetic in that light.
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

Marks Character was so close to reality. His responses and feeling were very close and the most realistic. I'd place him in the good category with room for development.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

bellajavier wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 22:33 Marks Character was so close to reality. His responses and feeling were very close and the most realistic. I'd place him in the good category with room for development.
I agree, he was probably the most realistc character, and we never really got to chance to see his side of the story (don't get me wrong, he shouldn't have cheated on his wife but maybe that was a result of Jo and Adam having the serum/incest connection) before he was eliminated.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 15:32
True and considering that Adam's mother was also attracted towards Adam, so he must have felt very off and so turned to others for affection.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”