Terry

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Terry

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:22
Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 12:44
That Reviewer wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 04:24 Every relationship, regardless of the tightness of the bond, has a secret or two that's better left to fade with time. Terry's death and the circumstances surrounding it makes me see Adam as a scared young man who wouldn't want his mess to destroy a beautiful romance.
I love that your name matches up with what your response is lol.

On some level, yes, Adam does not want this to mess up his romance with Carly. I think he doesn’t want this to mess up anything. That’s why he hid it.

I think what most people are puzzled by is Carly’s response. That he almost raped a girl, was involved in her death, has an obsession with his mom, has a serial killer like den and she just...keeps it a little secret?

I mean these aren’t secrets of a normal relationship. Nor is it really a healthy relationship.
That's my feeling as well... and portraying Adam as a scared young man sits a little funny in my stomach... He made the choice to abduct Terry, so I don't feel bad that he's afraid of how that's gonna go over with Carly.

And I agree that Carly shouldn't have covered up his secret so he can have a fresh start.
Yes definitely outrageous. Though most serial killers are victims of abuse or such nothing was the case with Adam. So portraying Adam as scared really made no sense.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:58
ciecheesemeister wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:35 I thought the overall attitude towards Terry was terrible. It was kind of like "so what if this boring ordinary girl died as long as the important Special Boy learned a lesson from it?" This part of the story definitely didn't sit well with me.
I don't think Adam even learned a lesson from it!! Not with Carly covering it up... He didn't even seem to feel bad about it other than in the context that Carly might find out and break up with him...
Yes, here we have the protagonist of a story that really does not make sense!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 16:59
Chelsearoses wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 16:52
AntonelaMaria wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:04

As Adam didn't suffer any consequences and her death didn't bring anything to the plotline, my main issue is what is the point of it all?!
Yes, I didn't really see the point in bringing her in or what that was to prove. To show he had those tendencies and sociopathic feelings and qualities yet didn't act on them? But her death and no consequences...I don't know
Agreed, I also felt that the Terry thing was just to show just how far down the path of evil Adam was pre-Carly. Carly tied up that loose end by destroying the evidence linking it to Adam.
I was even more surprised by the fact that Adam kidnapped her and being partly responsible for her death still is portrayed as the protagonist we are supposed to see him as one! He more antagonist n my opinion!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Chelsearoses wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 17:07
Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 16:59

Yes, I didn't really see the point in bringing her in or what that was to prove. To show he had those tendencies and sociopathic feelings and qualities yet didn't act on them? But her death and no consequences...I don't know
Agreed, I also felt that the Terry thing was just to show just how far down the path of evil Adam was pre-Carly. Carly tied up that loose end by destroying the evidence linking it to Adam.
That is a good point with Carly, him pre-Carly and her doing what she thought was best for him. So you have a good point on that. She created that closure I guess in a sense for him so he didn't have to perhaps?
She did that because she felt that Adam needs to turn over a new leaf in this life and that is all good save the fact that you can not run away from the consequences of your actions.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

That Reviewer wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 01:29
That Reviewer wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 04:24 Every relationship, regardless of the tightness of the bond, has a secret or two that's better left to fade with time. Terry's death and the circumstances surrounding it makes me see Adam as a scared young man who wouldn't want his mess to destroy a beautiful romance.

On some level, yes, Adam does not want this to mess up his romance with Carly. I think he doesn’t want this to mess up anything. That’s why he hid it.

I think what most people are puzzled by is Carly’s response. That he almost raped a girl, was involved in her death, has an obsession with his mom, has a serial killer like den and she just...keeps it a little secret?

I mean these aren’t secrets of a normal relationship. Nor is it really a healthy relationship.
I agree that it doesn't happen in an ideal, normal, or healthy relationship. But the sad truth is that these kinds of relationships are proliferating in our time and day.
Yeah and pretty soon it is going to be the las nail in coffin if authors keep promoting it!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Jac-o-lantern wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 04:20 I do not think that the Terry situation was handled well. Her poor family was left without any closure and the story just moved on. I think that paints Carly and Adam in a really bad light considering they're the main characters and supposed to be likeable.
I agree. I would surely like to see Adam facing some kind of consequence for his actions.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Jac-o-lantern wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 04:20 I do not think that the Terry situation was handled well. Her poor family was left without any closure and the story just moved on. I think that paints Carly and Adam in a really bad light considering they're the main characters and supposed to be likeable.
I don’t think a main character has to be likable as much as they have to be engaging. Adam going full villain may have been more engaging, but their unhealthy relationship was also interesting to watch evolve. It’s not that I liked it or loved it, as a reader it made me think.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 09:03

I agree that it doesn't happen in an ideal, normal, or healthy relationship. But the sad truth is that these kinds of relationships are proliferating in our time and day.
Yeah and pretty soon it is going to be the las nail in coffin if authors keep promoting it!
Oh, I get your drift. Well, truth is that "bad" is what sells more these days. It's just a few books that promote good and ideal stuff that make it to NYT Bestsellers. Sad, but true.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 18:01
I don’t think a main character has to be likable as much as they have to be engaging. Adam going full villain may have been more engaging, but their unhealthy relationship was also interesting to watch evolve. It’s not that I liked it or loved it, as a reader it made me think.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. Character developments are truly interesting to read from the reader's point of view.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

That Reviewer wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 19:34
Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 09:03

Oh, I get your drift. Well, truth is that "bad" is what sells more these days. It's just a few books that promote good and ideal stuff that make it to NYT Bestsellers. Sad, but true.
True, if they announce a book is banned. It's demand skyrockets.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Chelsearoses wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 19:31
Howlan wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:45

Yes, the kidnapping of Terry showed how far-driven Adam was. He was totally prepared to rape her in his sex den.
That's what seems to make sense to me. You're right, he was prepared to go down that dark path, considering how out of his way he was going. To drive there, miss the turns, drive all the way out. I mean the fact that he had that place in itself says a lot.
But I do think the story ends up worse for that fact by tying up that loose end by having Carly burn down all the evidence and then forgetting the whole thing. The den and Terry were poorly handled by the author and did more harm to the story then good.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Chelsearoses wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 19:38
AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 17:13
Chelsearoses wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 17:07

That is a good point with Carly, him pre-Carly and her doing what she thought was best for him. So you have a good point on that. She created that closure I guess in a sense for him so he didn't have to perhaps?
But I would add that only made him more inconsistent and unbelievable as a character.
That's a fair point to add. It's a little frustrating for me because he is more inconsistent and unbelievable to an extent but also sometimes people are, even in books and life. But for this book...I don't know, maybe he could have been inconsistent with some characteristics or certain things....but still be believable as a character...I don't know ha...
I know sometimes in books some characters stay inconsistent and unbelievable but maybe not a leading character? Maybe in future books, he becomes more so?? More stable perhaps?
Has anyone read the next book? "Split Adam"?
I absolutly detested the way the author handled the den and Terry. It also made Carly seem weaker as a character as she had no qualms about just covering it up and not even talking to him about it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

My problem is the author seems to not have any issue with it! I feel like she wanted to create a "love conquers all" type of relationship between Adam and Carly, like the reader should see their relationship as a goal and does nothing to acknowledge how unhealthy their relationship actually is.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

I agree, and they tied up the Terry loose end by having Carly burn down the den and all the evidence... and his shrine to his mother... I assume it's the author trying to symbolize Carly burning the evil out of Adam and making him a better person, but you are right, it just makes the two lead characters worse!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 08:55
Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:22

That's my feeling as well... and portraying Adam as a scared young man sits a little funny in my stomach... He made the choice to abduct Terry, so I don't feel bad that he's afraid of how that's gonna go over with Carly.

And I agree that Carly shouldn't have covered up his secret so he can have a fresh start.
Yes definitely outrageous. Though most serial killers are victims of abuse or such nothing was the case with Adam. So portraying Adam as scared really made no sense.
yeah, scared is not how I describe Adam at all haha

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”