Emotional effects of abuse on children

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Re: Emotional effects of abuse on children

Post by Abigail R »

I do wonder how these effects will adapt and change as they turn into adults. Children are resilient, but I think resiliency fades as people age. So will the children soften as they grow older, or will they build thick walls and hardened hearts? Will they grow to fear others or be fearless leaders? Just as there are so many reactions to abuse as kids, there are so many different ways to adapt and react as these kids become adults.
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by TheRVMom »

mmklundt wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 20:31 The effects of abuse on children is far reaching. The noticeable effects vary depending on the age of the child and the type of abuse. Nothing in this book seemed unusual or inappropriate to me.
I agree completely. Signs of abuse can be so many different things. Some abused children don't even show signs until they are older. Too many variables to be scientific or mathematical about it and be 100% accurate. Everything mentioned is definitely a clue, but it doesn't always mean it is because of abuse or neglect.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Yes, I think the author does a good job of incorporating several physical effects of child abuse in this book. Of course, the way things present are not nearly as clear-cut as she has made them. However, I don't think the support characters need to be as intricately developed as main characters. I think the author does a great job.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

There are so many indicators of abuse that children manifest.. something like wetting the bed is quite common, as well as being emotionally cold. Or emotionally sweet even! Children deal with trauma and abuse in so many different ways, and the ones the author uses are more commonly known.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

Though all families or children are not the same, these reactions are quite accurate and common.
"Growth is the essence of life."
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

From my view point, yes.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I believe that this is an honest portrayal of the potential effects of abuse on children. Like others have pointed out, the response to trauma is an individual one. The fact that each child reacts in his or her own way adds to the credibility. Sweet little Robyn tries to be the peacemaker. While I disliked Shirley's mean streak, I really couldn't blame her for trying to stay in her father's good graces. Natalie's bitterness becomes her shield throughout the story. The abusive climate at times breeds division among the siblings and in moments pulls some of them closer. This too seems pretty realistic.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with what was said above in that children react differently to abuse and I think the author portrayed this accurately.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

Yes, I think the author gives an honest portrayal of the effects of abuse in children. The effects depends upon how strong the children are and the severity of the abuse. In my friend's case, her daughter prefered to be single all her life than marry an alcoholic and abusive husband.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Yes, I believe this to be an honest portrayal. Children have varied effects of abuse, and having seen some kids suffer myself, I do think the author did a good job.
Sandy16
Favorite Book: Lost in the reflecting pool
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandy16.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sandy16 »

Unless you work with kids on a regular basis, you won’t know what they experience in different situations. The way kids react and act out are all so different. Abuse, whether physical or emotional, takes a toll in kids. Teachers see a lot in classrooms, coaches see a different side of those same kids on the field. Individuals that investigate abuse have a difficult job because kids are good at hiding things when they need too.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

The author certainly did a great job describing how each of the children dealt with the situation at hand. I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to this question. EVERY single person is going to react different. Abuse is an ugly thing. Not having been through any thing even close to this, I would have to think it would scar you for life. I mean, how do you get past something like that? There has to be a whole range of emotions to go along with this.
Definately a heavy topic
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

The author did a good and accurate job at portraying some possible effects that abuse may have on children. This type of stress and emotional trauma shows up in many different ways for different people and families, but I felt a connection to the way Linnane wrote these characters. It's heartbreaking but unfortunately is also realistic.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”