Terry

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Terry

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:06
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 08:25
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:17

yeah, scared is not how I describe Adam at all haha
Yeah he is way too narcissistic for that!
True dat! The only thing he's scared of is Carly breaking up with him.
Yes and I don't understand that, he still distances her when he feels like it.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:10
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 08:24
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:17

I agree, and they tied up the Terry loose end by having Carly burn down the den and all the evidence... and his shrine to his mother... I assume it's the author trying to symbolize Carly burning the evil out of Adam and making him a better person, but you are right, it just makes the two lead characters worse!
Yes, the sex den was bad but its cover-up was worse!!
yeah, the author seems to opt for the easy fix for those loose ends.
Yeah just burn it all into the ground.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:12
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 08:22
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:14

My problem is the author seems to not have any issue with it! I feel like she wanted to create a "love conquers all" type of relationship between Adam and Carly, like the reader should see their relationship as a goal and does nothing to acknowledge how unhealthy their relationship actually is.
Yes true! and she took the hairpin and just when I thought she will confront Adam about it she burns the whole shed!
Doesn't even give him a slap on the wrist! Just covers it up and hopes he will be different.
Yes, Carly needed to try for a new perspective.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 16:39
Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 08:56
Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:58

I don't think Adam even learned a lesson from it!! Not with Carly covering it up... He didn't even seem to feel bad about it other than in the context that Carly might find out and break up with him...
Yes, here we have the protagonist of a story that really does not make sense!
right? I would think a protagonist would lose a little bit of sleep over someone he accidentally/purposely killed...
That's so true! Instead, we get a scene of him staring angstily out of a rainy classroom window, exhaling a sigh and thinking to himself, "If only she had believed me when I said I wouldn't hurt her, after she woke up tied to a bed next to weapons in my sex den in the forest... if only she's actually listened to me that I wasn't going to cause her harm, she wouldn't be dead. This was really all HER fault... and now I have to feel kind of bad and inconvenienced by it... ugh. What's my next class?"
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:14
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 08:21
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:11

I absolutly detested the way the author handled the den and Terry. It also made Carly seem weaker as a character as she had no qualms about just covering it up and not even talking to him about it.
Yes, it was poorly handled. Carly should think about the fact that Terry has people who cared about her.
Exactly! Carly doesn't even meat but has no qualms about her boyfriend killing a girl her age.
More than killing having, a sex den with a shrine to his mother is more disturbing.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

AvocaDebo621 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 06:59 How Terry's death was handled was really weird and did make me wonder about Adam and Carly as a couple. They never even mention it to each other. I agree about the parents never getting closure. It just looked like Terry didn't matter to the plot anymore so why mention her at all!
I was so deeply disturbed that it was treated like a "no biggie" situation. And in the midst of this, the author is trying to basically tell YA readers that if you find out your boyfriend has a torture den in the middle of the woods, and you realize he probably played a role in the death of the missing neighbourhood girl, being a good girlfriend means destroying all of the evidence to give him "a fresh start", because after all, love conquers all and he's "really a good guy" deep down. He deserves a second chance!

I started yelling at the book, well at Carly, being live, "GIRL! Go to the police! Your BF is a psychopath! Red flags, you are in danger!!! Get yourself out!!!"
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:15
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 08:19
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:09

But I do think the story ends up worse for that fact by tying up that loose end by having Carly burn down all the evidence and then forgetting the whole thing. The den and Terry were poorly handled by the author and did more harm to the story then good.
Yes, the author should bring it back later in the story and make Adam face his consequences.
I hope that's how it plays out! How far do you think you'll make it in this series?
I have started reading the second book but stopped due to other problems. I think I will see the series through if I get past the second book.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:26
That Reviewer wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 23:55
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:14

My problem is the author seems to not have any issue with it! I feel like she wanted to create a "love conquers all" type of relationship between Adam and Carly, like the reader should see their relationship as a goal and does nothing to acknowledge how unhealthy their relationship actually is.
Sometimes, it's difficult to cater to all strata of readers. You just have to decide what message you want to strongly deliver through your book. I perfectly understandable your sentiment.
And I understand your POV as well!
Yes you have set a valid point.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 11:53
AvocaDebo621 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 06:59 How Terry's death was handled was really weird and did make me wonder about Adam and Carly as a couple. They never even mention it to each other. I agree about the parents never getting closure. It just looked like Terry didn't matter to the plot anymore so why mention her at all!
I found that part to be very unsettling! Carly just burns down the den because she feels like he deserves a fresh start... hopefully she's not planning on becoming a judge...
Or any kind of councillor for that matter.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:10
Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:59
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 08:28

Yeah, an interesting approach from the author. Breaking away the stereotypical YA protagonists.
Who knows, maybe Carly will come to her senses in an upcoming book.
We can only hope. I'll have to find out from other people if that's the case, because I'm not going to read to find out for myself!
Keep your fingers crossed!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:11
Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 10:06
Howlan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 08:25

Yeah he is way too narcissistic for that!
True dat! The only thing he's scared of is Carly breaking up with him.
Oh, Adam is for sure a future serial killer in the making and it's grosssssss. I felt like I was watching the prequel to a Criminal Minds episode. He's killed once, he'll do it again!
Yes Adam is for sure not a role model for anything.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

gilliansisley wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 12:17
Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 16:39
Howlan wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 08:56

Yes, here we have the protagonist of a story that really does not make sense!
right? I would think a protagonist would lose a little bit of sleep over someone he accidentally/purposely killed...
That's so true! Instead, we get a scene of him staring angstily out of a rainy classroom window, exhaling a sigh and thinking to himself, "If only she had believed me when I said I wouldn't hurt her, after she woke up tied to a bed next to weapons in my sex den in the forest... if only she's actually listened to me that I wasn't going to cause her harm, she wouldn't be dead. This was really all HER fault... and now I have to feel kind of bad and inconvenienced by it... ugh. What's my next class?"
Yes that's really crazy for anyone. At least have some guilt.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Having read the story in entirety, this is what I thought about Adam, Terry and Kelly: I think Adam did not know how to put into words and actions the feelings he had for Terry, hence employing the wrong tactic yielding into a life long request. With Carly, there exists a perfect excuse. This is both being school and classmates.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

CYSON DOROPH wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:10 Having read the story in entirety, this is what I thought about Adam, Terry and Kelly: I think Adam did not know how to put into words and actions the feelings he had for Terry, hence employing the wrong tactic yielding into a life long request. With Carly, there exists a perfect excuse. This is both being school and classmates.
Adam was attracted to Terry because she looked like his mother. So he kidnaps her and takes her to his sex cave. And Terry gets killed on her own knife. Really ridiculous.
mhopkins
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhopkins.html
Latest Review: Mark Twain and the Art of Swearing by Lyle Larsen

Post by mhopkins »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 21:09 Ok I am through the entire book now and how this character’s death was handled was really weird. It seems like it was just a loose end that was tied up in the easiest way possible.
I feel the same way. I think the whole "Terry" thing should have been left out of the story completely. It did not add to the story at all, and the way Carly dealt with it made me lose interest in her character.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”