First-Person Narration - A Good Option?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Re: First-Person Narration - A Good Option?

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I like first person narratives because of the depth of insight I gain from books written like this. However, the distinction of whose POV is written should be clear and unambiguous. If it cannot be so, third person narratives will work better.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

CambaReviewer wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 11:57 I like first person narratives because of the depth of insight I gain from books written like this. However, the distinction of whose POV is written should be clear and unambiguous. If it cannot be so, third person narratives will work better.
First-person narratives are great if you want to get into the head of the character. Especially for character-driven novels.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

CambaReviewer wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 11:57 I like first person narratives because of the depth of insight I gain from books written like this. However, the distinction of whose POV is written should be clear and unambiguous. If it cannot be so, third person narratives will work better.
yeah that was one of the things i had a hard time with... it seemed like it flipped flopped mid chapter and I never knew who's eyes we were seeing through!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 07:49 Do you think that it was a good idea for the author to alternate between Adam's and Carly's first-person narration? As far as I am concerned, I found Adam's passages more interesting and believable than Carly's. Would a third-person narration have worked better?
Interesting question! I like books that have more than one character doing first-person narration. I think it does give us great insight into characters. I think that third person would have taken away some of the mystery of the motives.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 17:08
cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 07:49 Do you think that it was a good idea for the author to alternate between Adam's and Carly's first-person narration? As far as I am concerned, I found Adam's passages more interesting and believable than Carly's. Would a third-person narration have worked better?
Interesting question! I like books that have more than one character doing first-person narration. I think it does give us great insight into characters. I think that third person would have taken away some of the mystery of the motives.
The one thing that is good about third person is the POV is less biased. In first person you are seeing things through a characters eye and that can be unreliable.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

Switching first-person narration gives the reader a perspective of the individual characters, which wouldn't have achieved the same results in third-person. The author must have had a good reason for choosing to tell the story using first-person.
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 12:01
yeah that was one of the things i had a hard time with... it seemed like it flipped flopped mid chapter and I never knew who's eyes we were seeing through!
Yes, it was confusing. But it was refreshing to see things from another perspective.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Yes sometimes if the narration is not good enough and that is such a killjoy!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 12:15
The one thing that is good about third person is the POV is less biased. In first person you are seeing things through a characters eye and that can be unreliable.
But that really gives us a good perspective into the main character.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

centfie wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:25 Switching first-person narration gives the reader a perspective of the individual characters, which wouldn't have achieved the same results in third-person. The author must have had a good reason for choosing to tell the story using first-person.
It gave us a great but disturbing insight into the main character.
mhopkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhopkins.html
Latest Review: Mark Twain and the Art of Swearing by Lyle Larsen

Post by mhopkins »

I think the first-person narrative was a good choice for this book with Adam's inner thinkings, especially at the beginning. I don't know if a third-person narrative would have given us as much insight. But, I don't think it should have switched to Carly's - there was no difference in the voices, so it was hard to know who was talking at the time.
danicommissions
Currently Reading: The Solution is Political Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danicommissions.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by danicommissions »

First-person can help if you have characters whose actions are unsympathetic or questionable; you get to inhabit their mind and see their reasoning for doing it, while also not having their actions be strictly endorsed by the person telling the story. However, it does mean that there needs to be clear differentiation between the voices of different characters, and that's kind of an issue in this book.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I actually prefer the first-person narrative because I feel like I can better relate to the characters. I agree, though, Adam's narrative is far more convincing than Carly's.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

I'm a pretty good fan of first person. The emotions usually come across better and it is easier to tell what characters are thinking if it switches between characters.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

mhopkins wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:45 I think the first-person narrative was a good choice for this book with Adam's inner thinkings, especially at the beginning. I don't know if a third-person narrative would have given us as much insight. But, I don't think it should have switched to Carly's - there was no difference in the voices, so it was hard to know who was talking at the time.
Yes I either the author should have gone through with the single person narration or if she wanted to add more characters she could have put it in the third person narrative.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”