Perversion or relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Re: Perversion or relationship?

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Nym182 wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 10:23
Kelyn wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 23:43
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 15:02

Yes I recognize that. The hunger of "what happens next!"
I love sci-fi, that's why I started reading the book in the first place. Little did I know what was actually coming. Unfortunately, there have only been a handful of times in my life where I didn't finish reading a book. Just one of my OCD things I guess.
I'm the same way! I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the next book if I put one down prematurely... It would haunt me :shifty:
That's one of those totally "Oh dog-gone-it" moments because you can't get the book out of your head and you have to go dig it up from where you buried it. I can just see that happening if I had given in and stopped reading this one. It's one I would have tried to bury because of the cringy and creep factor.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Browlyns wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 16:06 You must remember JoAnn was also attracted to Adam but in secret because of what is in their blood. Remember Dauma told Adam that had Carly not come, Adam would have wandered around the globe searching for love.
Yes that is true. If Carly had not come Adam would be a walking serial killer.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think that if he had made a relationship with his step-mom, it would have been a perversion.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think it is not normal to have a romantic relationship with your step-mom and it sounds disgusting.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Noosh wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:41 That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
Totally on you. If you are interested in the plot then read on. Comes with a catch though, you gotta withstand Adam the character.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 05:20 I think it is not normal to have a romantic relationship with your step-mom and it sounds disgusting.
Of course it is not normal, but Adam was sexually attracted to her, not in a "relationship"
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

gilliansisley wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 15:13 Without Carly around, he already kidnapped and almost raped and facilitated the murder of Terry. I think if the time continued on, he would have sexually assaulted his own mother, and possibly killed his dad. He's a psychopath, and I still don't consider him as having redeemed himself, even after Carly. I hated Adam's character!
I agree. I don't consider him redeemed either. It is difficult to believe that he could change so quickly and easily from a sociopath in training to perfect. I kept wondering when he would turn on Carly in a violent way.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

Unfortunately I do think Adam had already fallen in love with his stepmother. And also unfortunately you learn that she shares these feelings. So if Carly hadn't shown up, I think something straight up gross would have happened. They explain that Adam's feelings basically "transferred" to Carly after she showed up, so if she hadn't of showed up, said feelings wouldn't have transferred..... And yeah, gross.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I do think that if Adam never met Carly, he would definitely try to "make a move" on his mom. Especially after Mark was out of the picture, Adam would feel he is now the only person his mother has and would take it upon himself to fulfill whatever needs she may have. But whether or not his mom would let Adam "make a move" (or whatever he would do) is another question. She did, in the first chapter, seem weirded out when she had her hand on his knee in the car, and he was staring at her for a while. So if a relationship were to have developed, I think it would have been very one sided. Still gross, though.
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

I agree. There were multiple times I wanted to stop reading because of his character. If you can hold on until Carly arrives then it does improve. I can't help but consider if his feelings for JoAnn was needed.

Does anyone think the story can be written without it? :?:
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:34 I think that at the beginning of the story Adam had already "fallen" for his mom. And I think eventually he would have acted on it as well... Considering that he eventually acted on his feelings to kidnap Terry.
Yeesh. This just makes me extremely uncomfortable. I haven't read the book, but this is a definite turn off for me. The whole step mum situation is just too much for me, thank you. So perversion or relationship? Definitely the former 😒
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Noosh wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:41 That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
I'm with you on this. I'm staying far away from this one. I can handle profanity and the occasional erotic scene, but incest? No, thank you. I'm out. But incest aside, can you handle other forms of erotic content?
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

S1234 wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 00:37 I agree. There were multiple times I wanted to stop reading because of his character. If you can hold on until Carly arrives then it does improve. I can't help but consider if his feelings for JoAnn was needed.

You have way more mental resilience than me. I would have flung the book after just the first instance of incest. Can the story be written without it? I haven't read the book, but I believe any book can do without incest.
S1234
Currently Reading:

Post by S1234 »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 01:55
S1234 wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 00:37 I agree. There were multiple times I wanted to stop reading because of his character. If you can hold on until Carly arrives then it does improve. I can't help but consider if his feelings for JoAnn was needed.

You have way more mental resilience than me. I would have flung the book after just the first instance of incest. Can the story be written without it? I haven't read the book, but I believe any book can do without incest.
I agree, what's worse is I was looking for something lighthearted, :lol2:
S1234
Currently Reading:

Post by S1234 »

leareiler wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 22:34 I do think that if Adam never met Carly, he would definitely try to "make a move" on his mom. Especially after Mark was out of the picture, Adam would feel he is now the only person his mother has and would take it upon himself to fulfill whatever needs she may have. But whether or not his mom would let Adam "make a move" (or whatever he would do) is another question. She did, in the first chapter, seem weirded out when she had her hand on his knee in the car, and he was staring at her for a while. So if a relationship were to have developed, I think it would have been very one sided. Still gross, though.
(Spoiler)

That would have been a whole different story entirely! I would have enjoyed it more if that part wasn't there but I'm glad it didn't take the incest route. :D

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”