Deaths

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Re: Deaths

Post by La Loca Designs »

Without the death of Carly's father, Dauma would not have merged with Carly, so I understand his death. Adam's father's death really did just seem like a convenient way to tie up some loose ends. The author obviously has plans for this series that do not involve a father/son reconciliation.
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I felt the death of Adam's father was definitely unnecessary. I felt he could have added more to the story later on and could have helped give more character development to Adam. It would have been interesting to see how Adam would have treated him later on.
Tchrjokes456
Currently Reading: Night Angel
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tchrjokes456.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Tchrjokes456 »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:02 I thought it was a plot device when it came to Carly’s father but a plot convenience when it came to Adam’s father.

I think Adam’s father could have been used in a better way later on but it was just easier to tie up a loose end.

On the other hand, without the disappearance of Carly’s father, the second half of the book basically doesn’t exist.
Well said. I think Adam's father really had the potential to become symbolic of redemption. Even though his soul only had one white diamond, that's more than none.
gschauer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gschauer.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by gschauer »

I was sad that both fathers died in the story. Carly's fathers death seemed to be the precursor for Carly's mother merging with her. It would be interesting to know a little more about the father. He was not real develop in the story which lead me to wonder more about him and his personality.
Adam's father dying was strange. I'm not sure how and why he become captured and used by the Iksha. However, I don't like stories where everything falls into place like a storybook plan. Life is unpredictable and there are times when we don't always have time to resolve our issues with others prior to their death. If his father had lived, it would be interesting to see Adam grow, but just like in real life, sometimes this is not possible.
RStriker1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rstriker1.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by RStriker1 »

I think that the two kid's fathers didn't play an important enough roll to be seen as valuable characters. They were kind of just side characters that were mentioned once or twice, so killing them off just makes it easier to progress the story forward. I didn't really think much about either one of them dying because they didn't add enough to the story for me to be swayed one way or another.
Official_Sammie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-official-sammie.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Official_Sammie »

Adams father's death wasn't really necessary and it was a total surprise to me. Especially knowing Adam was ready to forgive him. I really wish his character can be brought back in the next series. For Carly's father, he wasn't an important character in the book, so I can still understand his disappearance.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I think Carly's father's death was (one) not really too surprising and (two) an important part of the novel. I feel like his death really motivated Carly and the others to fight the villains, and I think his death helped the novel feel a bit more realistic, or as realistic as can be possible. As for Adam's father, I feel like his death was just unnecessary and came out of nowhere. Knowing this is a saga, it would have been nice for him to make another appearance in the later books, maybe take another shot at a relationship with Adam, now that Adam is less of a jerk.
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by mishkaat »

Adam father death was unnecessary n caryl father got kidnapped.
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by mishkaat »

In upcoming book caryl father will appear with more strong character.
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

Yes, the deaths were so relevant to emphasize on why the Ikshas needed to be exterminated, but so unfortunate for Carly and Adam. They had a great deal in sustaining the story line.
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I felt the death of Adam's father was a waste, given that an improvement to their relationship could have greatly contributed to Adam's character development. It also seemed a bit out of nowhere that it was Mark who was had been the Iksha's captive. His death took me by surprise, in a bad way. It felt displaced.

On the other hand, the death of Carly's dad did seem timely / made sense in catalyzing the merge of Carly and her mother, Dauma. However, since we never knew her father, his death made little to no emotional impact on me, as the reader. I understood why Dauma would be so distraught, at least, but I think his character and consequent death could have made a bigger impact if presented in a different way.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Howlan wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 15:38
ciecheesemeister wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 13:14 The deaths did seem a bit convenient. I was somewhat surprised by Mark's death because it seemed that he was being given a chance to redeem himself.
Yes, I had hoped he would bring new character developments in Adam, but unfortunately, he was killed off.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I thought Carly’s father’s death was unnecessary. I wish they were able to save him.
Chanda Chema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanda-chema.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Chanda Chema »

Adam's father should have been spared for future reappearance. Something like, Adam forgiving him but still the bad blood between them doesn't fade away. Later on, they confront each other.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I've not been able to review the book though.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”