Margaret Atwood

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Re: Margaret Atwood

Post by sevencrows »

I loved the Handmaiden's Tale and the Testaments, and I'm eager to read more from Atwood--any reccs?
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

sevencrows wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 06:43 I loved the Handmaiden's Tale and the Testaments, and I'm eager to read more from Atwood--any reccs?

I recommend you "The Penelopiad". This is a retelling of Greek myths about the Trojan War and the journeys of Odysseus from the perspective of Penelope, the wife of Odysseus. If "Handmaiden's Tale" is sometimes very scary and gloomy, then this book is very ironic and funny. From the perspective of a smart woman, pompous Greek heroes sometimes look just ridiculous. This is actually my favorite Atwood's book.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

SunVixen wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 07:48
sevencrows wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 06:43 I loved the Handmaiden's Tale and the Testaments, and I'm eager to read more from Atwood--any reccs?

I recommend you "The Penelopiad". This is a retelling of Greek myths about the Trojan War and the journeys of Odysseus from the perspective of Penelope, the wife of Odysseus. If "Handmaiden's Tale" is sometimes very scary and gloomy, then this book is very ironic and funny. From the perspective of a smart woman, pompous Greek heroes sometimes look just ridiculous. This is actually my favorite Atwood's book.
thank you! that sounds wonderful, and it's definitely going on my tbr!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

This is really great. This novel is somewhat similar to the books of Robert Graves, especially "Homer's Daughter".

This Robert Graves really thought the Odyssey was composed by a woman. He also thought that she inserted herself into the Odyssey under the name of Princess Nausicaa. So he wrote a book about it.

I read "The Penelopiad" long before "The Handmaid’s Tale" was turned into a TV-series and became popular. I pick this book because I thought it might be like "Homer's Daughter". However, "The Penelopiad" was even better! :D
AnnaLibri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalibri.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by AnnaLibri »

The Handmaid's Tale is brilliant. I have The Testaments on my shelf but haven't read it yet.

As for other Atwood books, I've read a few. Couldn't get through Oryx and Crake. I liked The Blind Assassin but expected to love it; I think maybe I wasn't quite in the mood for it when I read it. That said, I really liked Cat's Eye and Alias Grace, and I absolutely loved The Robber Bride.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

AnnaLibri wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 09:30 The Handmaid's Tale is brilliant. I have The Testaments on my shelf but haven't read it yet.

As for other Atwood books, I've read a few. Couldn't get through Oryx and Crake. I liked The Blind Assassin but expected to love it; I think maybe I wasn't quite in the mood for it when I read it. That said, I really liked Cat's Eye and Alias Grace, and I absolutely loved The Robber Bride.
I started reading "Oryx and Crake" once, but quickly dropped it.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

Monet_va wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 16:51 I love The Handmaid's Tale because in an interview she said that all the awful things that happened in the story were copied from real-life events that have already transpired - she shows the world the horrors that have been overlooked elsewhere.
Yes, I also found that scarily fascinating. If you're interested in the details, this interview with Atwood reveals the actual newspaper clippings she worked from. https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/2019 ... spiration/

In fact, she is adamant that none of her work is classified as science fiction because everything she writes about is likely/possible today or has already happened.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

Fell in love with Atwood after reading The Handmaid's Tale. Then I read The Heart Goes Last and couldn't put it down. Would love to read more of her books, anyone have recommendations of what I should read next ?
piplup45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

I only just finished watching The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu and am waiting for a friend that owns the book to find it and lend it to me. I am certain there are great differences between the show and the book and cannot wait to read it. She tells me that, as I assumed, the book is much better.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I don't think that I have ever read anything written by her, but I want to read "The Handmaid's Tale". It will give me a chance to see if she is an author that I will choose to read more than one book by.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I picked up Morning in the Burned House and breezed through it. It has a cozy feeling and brings back memories of reading Neruda in my youth for some reason.
I can't believe I missed the fact that Margaret Atwood wrote The Handmaid's Tale. Will check it out!
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

Nym182 wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 14:14 maybe it is a bit cliche, but I really was taken aback with how good The Handmaid's Tale was. I'm really interested in the sequel (I think it's coming out this month?)
I was honestly surprised how much I enjoyed it too. I wasn't really expecting the nuance she explores with certain subplots and ideas. And yeah, The Testaments came out a couple weeks ago. No spoilers, but there were some storylines I liked better than others.
Munachimso_Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munachimso-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Munachimso_Nwaogazie »

The handmaids tale.

Return to “Discuss Authors”