Carly and Kane's friendship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
xuanmaii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuanmaii.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Carly and Kane's friendship

Post by xuanmaii »

I think the occurrence was a reasonable one. Her slap just indicated how shocked she was because although we readers all knew Kane's feeling, Carly didn't. If she had chosen a more soothing reaction, then I would have been surprised.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

Carly and Kane are both wrong, we all mostly do misread cues, Can we try and reverse the gender, what if it was the Kane that invited Carly, and further led to Carly kissing him, If he slapped her, what will her response be? I think we all know what I'm trying to say here, she asked for it, boundaries are meant to be enforced and obeyed. Well, it's just a fictionalised story.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I don't blame Carly for the kiss, but I do think she should have handled their whole relationship better. Like, she knew Kane liked her, but she still didn't feel the need to set any boundaries? But I do think Kane should NOT have made a move. It was disrespectful to her and Adam. Like, he knew they were together and if he wanted to let her know he had feelings for her, he should have used his words, not his lips.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I thought Carly was out of line with Kane. Period. She knew he liked her and if she meant to or not she led him on. I think the smack in the face was appropriate. I feel she was more smacking herself for being so blind.
piplup45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

Kane was completely in the wrong for kissing her. He knows she has a boyfriend and also she didn’t specifically do anything to green light him. The clothes she was wearing don’t really matter and don’t factor in here. He was totally inappropriate.

I don’t think she should’ve slapped him, she could’ve used her words, but she was very right to be upset enough to slap him.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

I can see how Kane was confused by Carly's actions. When you're that young, inviting a guy over to your house, alone, and watching movies with him is more of a boyfriend thing than a friend thing, especially when you know the guy is into you, in my humble opinion. Carly should have been better about setting boundaries.

That said, Kane shouldn't have kissed her. He knew she had a boyfriend and it doesn't matter what she was wearing, as long as she wasn't going out of her way to seduce him. Slapping Kane was a bit harsh, she could've just asked him to leave.
Kayla+Nelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-nelson.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Kayla+Nelson »

Carly definitely overreacted. Kane misread her signals for more than friends. She may have been trying to get his attention, but that doesn't mean that it was her fault either. She wanted to impress a close friend that's all. She made it very clear to everyone including Kane that she was very serious about Adam. I think she should have pushed him away and expressed herself with words rather than slapping him though. It was merely a misunderstanding between friends.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

Kane was an idiot for kissing Carly when she made it clear she's into Adam. It's not her fault that Kane tried to kiss her, although I personally think it's important to be a little cautious because it's easy for a guy in love to misread things.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:

Post by Frannie Annie »

piplup45 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 19:49 Kane was completely in the wrong for kissing her. He knows she has a boyfriend and also she didn’t specifically do anything to green light him. The clothes she was wearing don’t really matter and don’t factor in here. He was totally inappropriate.

I don’t think she should’ve slapped him, she could’ve used her words, but she was very right to be upset enough to slap him.
That's the impression I got, she even said she saw a future with Adam. Maybe she could've just pushed him away or something.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:

Post by Frannie Annie »

Kayla+Nelson wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 23:06 Carly definitely overreacted. Kane misread her signals for more than friends. She may have been trying to get his attention, but that doesn't mean that it was her fault either. She wanted to impress a close friend that's all. She made it very clear to everyone including Kane that she was very serious about Adam. I think she should have pushed him away and expressed herself with words rather than slapping him though. It was merely a misunderstanding between friends.
I agree that would have been a better reaction.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Carly and Kane had a very nice friendship between themselves. Carly is lucky to have a real friend like Kane.
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

I believe she was justified. People tend to forget that actions have consequences and do what they please. A true friend would not do that.
Fabian
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

I feel she could have handled it more maturely and nicely if she had talked to him after though, but I know it must have been hard for her to compose herself in that moment.
Fabian
pantsyjean25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by pantsyjean25 »

I feel you, I definitely read too many "friends to lovers" books, and that had me hoping she would fall for him. Although I found their friendship oddly refreshing and natural. It was a source of my comfort throughout the book!
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I found Kane's character very complexing. At first he seemed really nice but I found his behaviour suspicious when he went over to Carly's place. Why was he so intent on seeing her wound? I won't lie I thought Kane was probably working with the bad guys. But other than that I think Carly led him on a lot throughout the book.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”