Perversion or relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Re: Perversion or relationship?

Post by La Loca Designs »

gilliansisley wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 10:25
La Loca Designs wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 16:20
gilliansisley wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 15:13 Without Carly around, he already kidnapped and almost raped and facilitated the murder of Terry. I think if the time continued on, he would have sexually assaulted his own mother, and possibly killed his dad. He's a psychopath, and I still don't consider him as having redeemed himself, even after Carly. I hated Adam's character!
I agree. I don't consider him redeemed either. It is difficult to believe that he could change so quickly and easily from a sociopath in training to perfect. I kept wondering when he would turn on Carly in a violent way.
I entirely agree-- and that's why this book is so dangerous when put in the hands of impressionable young people. In the real world, he isn't "fixed" by love. He's still violent and disturbed, and Carly would be in great danger.

The narrative of "true love can fix people" is exactly how individuals end up in abusive relationships.
Completely agree. I really dislike YA books that normalize these types of relationships.
Krotzell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krotzell.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Krotzell »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:30
Njkinny wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:55 Adam’s fascination with JoAnn made me uncomfortable and had me thinking that this book should have been categorised in the Adult category, not YA. Please someone tell me if he improves further down the book because I am still undecided if I should continue reading it.
They DO kinda explain why Adam has those thoughts, but it was a pretty weak explanation in my opinion. For the most part, it's just kinda cringy... but there are some weird sexual details that don't really serve a purpose to the story. They definitely made me pause and :gaah:
I didn't necessarily think the explanation was weak, but that it absolutely came WAY too late. My opinion of him being super creepy was already formed by the time they offered that new information.

I think obsession is definitely the better word for the Joann situation. I think he would have tried something sometime, but I think it likely would have been rebuffed and his reaction to Carly or whoever probably would have been closer to Terry then.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I'm glad someone addressed this because I was immediately turned off by his sexual attraction to his mother, especially when it occurred so early in the book. It's one thing to imply an Oedipus complex, but to write about it in such a detailed manner in a YA book was rather disturbing.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

Nym182 wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:30
Njkinny wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:55 Adam’s fascination with JoAnn made me uncomfortable and had me thinking that this book should have been categorised in the Adult category, not YA. Please someone tell me if he improves further down the book because I am still undecided if I should continue reading it.
They DO kinda explain why Adam has those thoughts, but it was a pretty weak explanation in my opinion. For the most part, it's just kinda cringy... but there are some weird sexual details that don't really serve a purpose to the story. They definitely made me pause and :gaah:
If there's not really any purpose to any of it, I don't think I'll keep reading. My gut was turning reading it, and it turns now just thinking about it. :|
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I am here just trying to spoil myself enough to decide if going into this book makes sense for me, and it's looking like it has some seriously creepy undertones.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

Noosh wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 11:41 That is actually what’s making me not want to continue with the book. It’s just too weird for me... the whole thing with the mum (stepmom)... should I keep on reading then? I thought we were dealing with incest
I found it really weird as well. I felt like there could have been so many other ways to approach all the subjects the author was trying to bring up, without having to include an incest like story line.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

Anything can happen from Adam's side with character he portray the book but the author makes this book more of adult material than I expected.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I definitely think that this book has some pretty over the top sexual ideas that should not be included in the YA book genre. This book definitely needs to be moved into an adult category. I honestly had a very hard time finishing it.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

He already did seem to feel something for his mother, yet I think he knew he could not act on that and she was married to Mark. He was not hesitant to attempt a relationship with Terry, so perhaps he would have had a relationship, even if not a normal healthy one, with someone nearer his age
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

La Loca Designs wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 23:51
gilliansisley wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 10:25
La Loca Designs wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 16:20

I agree. I don't consider him redeemed either. It is difficult to believe that he could change so quickly and easily from a sociopath in training to perfect. I kept wondering when he would turn on Carly in a violent way.
I entirely agree-- and that's why this book is so dangerous when put in the hands of impressionable young people. In the real world, he isn't "fixed" by love. He's still violent and disturbed, and Carly would be in great danger.

The narrative of "true love can fix people" is exactly how individuals end up in abusive relationships.
Completely agree. I really dislike YA books that normalize these types of relationships.
That's exactly what I was feeling. Not only this addresses the topic of psychopathy in a romanticized way, if it turns out that he then just... isn't so bad anymore? Discarding that issue entirely when it's inconvenient through the cliche of true love is problematic and dangerous.
Jenifer1420
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenifer1420 »

John Owen wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 05:40 What's your view, if Carly hadn't come into the scene, cocidering Adams hate for people which made it difficult for him to fall into a romantic relationship with anyone, could Adam fall for his Step mom, JoAnn?
I am conjointly feeling constant and am undecided. I keep thinking if showing Adam like this is often extremely necessary and considering it's a YA book, simply plain weird and surprising.
PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

His attraction toward his mom is a bit weird yes but sometimes you need something out the box to make a book interesting.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

His obsession with JoAnn definitely made me feel uncomfortable even though they weren't related by blood, and I didn't read any further because of this. It's disturbing to learn that she returned the attraction latter on in the book.
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I think Adam and Jo might have had a relationship because they both had feelings for each other though Jo tried her level best to hide it. But with her separation from her husband and being alone with Adam in the same house was room enough for temptation. Carly was a necessary light to stop the darkness from spreading.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

I found Adam to be really interesting in the beginning, but wish that he had been obsessed with someone other than his mom. That was hard to read and ruined what was otherwise a morbidly fascinating character. What makes up for it to me is that he meets Carly and eventually loses that obsession for who we find out is his stepmom, not blood related at all. Also the book's reasoning is that bio-cores are drawn to each other, and anyone with the serum in their blood is going to feel a weakened version of those effects, so I get it. It works because Adam latches onto Carly after a short time, and seems to really like hanging around other Descendants in Afrax.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”