Irish folklore

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Irish folklore

Post by kdstrack »

The Great Famine and the ghost stories were familiar. The aspect I want to look into was mentioned in Chapter 6: "the sacrifice of Irish kings into boggy waters." This phrase intrigued me to learn more about the history of Ireland. I thought the author did a good job of dropping these historical nuggets throughout the story.
PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

I must confess I knew nothing of Irish folk law until I read this book. Boy was I surprised at all the suspense and chills that the ghost stories brought to the book. Figuratively, I couldn't put the book down until I finished reading to the last words. I Highly recommend it.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I like historical stories that blend history and myth. I think it adds a interesting element.
I have heard of leprechauns, banshees, four leaf clovers, and ghosts but know little of their origins and stories.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Giga51087 wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 13:15 Well I always liked Irish folklore and music. Their tales and epic sagas are good company for the heartfire. The mithology is rich and deep. They took a very important part of it from the Celtic traditions. We can keep making piles, and piles of books abaut them. From adult themes to child books, you can make every thing that you like to do. But you must respect them they afther all part of our cultural heritage.
What I donth like is the thendency for the melancholia. Their trend to become depressive from time to time it´s a pain. Also with the resurgence of Celtic culture many liars have appeared seeking to modify the original myths with blatant commercial motives. They were good as they were.
I don't like that either. I think the more I read about them the underline of them all is really scary.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

kdstrack wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 19:31 The Great Famine and the ghost stories were familiar. The aspect I want to look into was mentioned in Chapter 6: "the sacrifice of Irish kings into boggy waters." This phrase intrigued me to learn more about the history of Ireland. I thought the author did a good job of dropping these historical nuggets throughout the story.
I have to admit I missed that part. Thanks for pointing it out. I will check it out.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Tavaiel26 wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 11:50 What I know from Irish culture and literature comes mainly from reading The Dubliners, by James Joyce, history podcasts and folk tales in general. (the tales of Cú Chulainn and Fionn Mac Cumhaill come to mind)
I've started this book recently and can't wait to see the things I know of reflected in the plot and setting. Hillary seems like a good conduit to go through them!
I recently read about Fionn in another book and I was really intrigued to learn more. I hope you enjoy this book.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

leiabutler wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 10:56 I knew nothing of Irish folklore before reading so reading was super cool, especially the ghost stories! I am enticed by that awesome culture so would check more out again! I loved the book offered me a learning opportunity. I personally don't often get the chance to learn so much from an individual reading experience so this was awesome.
It seems that many readers enjoyed ghost stories too. I find many of the Irish myths being scary. Even if they don't look like it at first.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

The ghost stories added that element of the supernatural to add further intrigue to the novel. I enjoyed learning about the folklore of Ireland in this story. The inclusion of folklore is particularly appropriate in a novel where the protagonists are fighting over the establishment of a historical landmark.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

The Irish setting was one of the novel's best features, if you ask me. The author does a great job of conveying the atmosphere and culture.
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I think these themes complement the genre of the book very well. However, I personally am not a history buff and do not enjoy reading history. It did make me curious to learn more about Irish culture, but I most likely will not pursue my curiosity.
Azokamchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azokamchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Azokamchi »

I thoroughly enjoyed this Irish folklore and to think that I'm back again discussing on the book. Yes I agree some of those places with deaths of travellers can be kept as Museums, to preserve history.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I haven't read the book, but I adore Irish mythology, history and culture, so I'm very interested in it and can't wait to read it!
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

PRECIOUSreads wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 19:52 I must confess I knew nothing of Irish folk law until I read this book. Boy was I surprised at all the suspense and chills that the ghost stories brought to the book. Figuratively, I couldn't put the book down until I finished reading to the last words. I Highly recommend it.
I really like the combination of Irish folklore, mythology and creepy vibes!
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

freshbook wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 16:31 I think these themes complement the genre of the book very well. However, I personally am not a history buff and do not enjoy reading history. It did make me curious to learn more about Irish culture, but I most likely will not pursue my curiosity.
Considering that someone like you who is not a big fan of history enjoyed this book and topic, I believe I will personally like it a lot then!
:D
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Carolreads30 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 16:16 The ghost stories added an element to the story for me as I was not aware that ghost stories were a part of Irish history. I feel as though the white dolls needed to be explained a little more as I have no idea if they truly are a part of Irish history or not. I am assuming that they are such they were such an important piece of the mystery.
I'm not familiar with ghosts as part of Irish history either! It just intrigued me to get the book!

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”