Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
nutshell_review
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutshell-review.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Post by nutshell_review »

One of my book friend recommended this book also as she is from Ireland. Well, looking at the cover of the book kind of Ireland feels as well :) I have started reading it and will soon have next update.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I haven't had a chance to read this book, but it seems like a decent one, once one gets past the slow start (which I had heard about).
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

I have mot read this book yet and probably will not be. I'm not sure if I could make it through the slow parts. It sounds like it gets off to a very slow start.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

I am yet to read this book but it sure seems interesting from the comments. Thanks for sharing guys.
Fabian
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I liked it. It did drag a little at certain places but all in all I enjoyed the book..
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story, which is primarily Hillary's story and I also enjoyed reading about Ireland. My only disappointment was that some parts of the book almost promised a thriller and a good and interesting murder mystery, but fell short. There is no suspense in the book and there could so easily have been.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

rjohnston815 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 10:07 I will be rating this book 3 of 4 stars, I enjoyed it, and found it was quite entertaining. However, I don't fully agree that you don't have to read the first 2 books of the series. Although I was able to follow the story, I could also tell that I was missing the backstories of the characters.
I agree with you on this one. This was my least favorite part of the book: the fact that I felt like I couldn't really know the characters without reading the first two books. It definitely wasn't a stand alone novel. Enjoyable, but not stand alone.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I enjoyed this book. I think the discussions were really good this month. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I will also recommend it to friends and family.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

House of Eire, A Hillary Broome Novel, by June Gillam. I love reading this book. It made the reader curious at the begining of the story without going to the story straight foward. It creates images in the minds of the readers. It is a very interesting book.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

I really enjoyed reading this book. The author makes the readers curious at the begining of the story. This was a Very interesting book.
reberevs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by reberevs »

I loved the history of the Irish people even though much of it is very sad. Hillary following around Claire and Sarah through Ireland. I thought all the characters felt like real people. I am hoping to travel to Ireland in the next little while and hopefully find some information on my ancestors, so this book definitely came at the right time.
rjohnston815
Currently Reading: Fix: Sex, Lies & Banking
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnston815.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by rjohnston815 »

Smiley 25 wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 13:29
rjohnston815 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 10:07 I will be rating this book 3 of 4 stars, I enjoyed it, and found it was quite entertaining. However, I don't fully agree that you don't have to read the first 2 books of the series. Although I was able to follow the story, I could also tell that I was missing the backstories of the characters.
I agree with you on this one. This was my least favorite part of the book: the fact that I felt like I couldn't really know the characters without reading the first two books. It definitely wasn't a stand alone novel. Enjoyable, but not stand alone.
Thank you @Smiley 25 I was starting to think it was just me!
Renee Johnston :techie-studyinggray:
Lover of books and life...
Brooklyn, NY
Abdullatif

Post by Abdullatif »

The past and present come together in this book, House of Eire. In some part of us there is a yearning to discover where we come from and who we are. Hilary Broome is no exception. Hilary seems like the average human that lives in California. This is not the case. Hilary decides to return to where her family grew up, Ireland. She gets more than she bargained for. Not only does she uncover her roots in Ireland but she uncovers a dark past. One that will haunt her. She discovers betrayal of Emerald Island's own people.

I did not realize how much one author pack into one book without it being overwhelming and confusing . This author did a fabulous job with the mystery, the suspense, and the plot of the book. this book is a page turner. It is an easy to follow book. What a lovely book. The cover of the book fits the story perfect. It is simple but beautiful and attractive.

This is the third book in the Hillary Broome series but this series can be read in any order. This is the first book I have read.

I really have no complaints about this book. It is a fabulous read, as I stated before. It has mystery, history, and adventure, What could there be not to like. It is a murder mystery so be aware if this genre is not for you.

This is a five star book. Great book from this author. I hope to read more in this series.
Larkspur
Currently Reading: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Larkspur »

I have started reading this book without knowing how I felt but by the time I was through I was glad I did. I loved the Irish history in the book as it is my first encounter with such a book. It deserves a rating of four out of four stars.
Felix Karim
Currently Reading:

Post by Felix Karim »

What a story ,a lot of suspense kept giving me curiosity to want to read more about this story about Ireland .The wirtter is well articulate and made me enjoy the book ,his type of writing is good and his gathering and sharing of facts .
Its a good story with lessons and to some extent the life in Ireland as it relates to crisis resolve.
I liked it .
I rate it 3 out of 4 stars .

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”