Official Review: The Order by Lynn Chase

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Order by Lynn Chase

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Order" by Lynn Chase.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Order by Lynn Chase is a fictional narrative based on Christian beliefs. When Detective Mike Cornell investigates the death of a homeless man, he learns that the victim is Blake Adams; they had served together in the military. Among Blake's possessions were a pocket Bible and an old photograph of his wife and daughter. Mike believes that "Religion just causes more pain and suffering." However, as he continues to investigate, Mike's beliefs are challenged, and he learns more about himself and God.

The 270-page book traverses themes of faith, forgiveness, redemption, salvation, anger, revenge, and good versus evil. Chase blends humor, fantasy, and adventure to illustrate God's love for his creations, both human and angelic. His story celebrates individuality, compares similarities between humans and angels, and includes epic supernatural battles. Throughout the book, God is referred to as "Father" or "Yahweh." His physical image depends on the perception of each individual in a manner that is somewhat reminiscent of the best-seller, The Shack.

The plot is propelled through strong character development. Although there are many angels to keep track of, Chase develops unique personalities to create memorable characters. Likewise, Mike is flawed and relatable; readers will relate to his transformation as the story unfolds.

The book's strength and my favorite aspect is the creative premise of the story. Although battles between angels and demons aren't a new concept, Chase elevates the story through the personalities of feisty Reapers and the larger-than-life egos of the Arches and the Fallen. He also provides distinct visuals to describe his characters: "Aowyn, unable to change her pink hair color, had on clothes that made her look like a regular teen dressed in punk clothes while looking bored and listening to music on an iPod."

Given the flamboyant personalities of the angels and demons, the use of minor profanity is believable. While it is likely intended to be amusing, the constant bickering between a few of the angels is less believable and slightly annoying. I dislike that the story is peppered with implied nonborderline profanity. Although noncommital comments like "It's not like I said fu--" and "You're such a bas--" do not spell out profane words in their entirety, they may as well.

Additionally, the book is poorly executed and needs a thorough round of editing. Many of the dialogues lack proper paragraph breaks to indicate new speakers. I found myself constantly rereading to clarify who was speaking. There are numerous punctuation and grammatical errors, as well as a formatting issue causing the first letter of every chapter to be on a line by itself. New characters are introduced late in the story, as are complicated portions of the plot. Based on the ending's unanswered questions, a sequel seems likely, but unfortunately, Chase tries to cram too much into one book, which ends up detracting from the story rather than enhancing it.

For all of the above reasons, I rate The Order 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to fans of The Shack and Christian readers who aren't offended by irreverent humor. It will also appeal to those who enjoy reading about good versus evil.

The Order
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Officialboluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialboluwatife.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Officialboluwatife »

I really enjoyed this review. I can feel the books shortcomings from the review. I like the content of the book but will definitely be turned off by the errors.
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I like the spiritual undertones explored by this book, especially on the topics of good versus evil and redemption. Great review thanks.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Sounds interesting! I would like to read about the comparisons between humans and angels. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Officialboluwatife wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 15:22 I really enjoyed this review. I can feel the books shortcomings from the review. I like the content of the book but will definitely be turned off by the errors.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Harty wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 04:56 I like the spiritual undertones explored by this book, especially on the topics of good versus evil and redemption. Great review thanks.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Magnify3 wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 05:55 Sounds interesting! I would like to read about the comparisons between humans and angels. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for commenting.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I was quite appealed by the title of this book, since I find novels with Christian roots interesting when well executed. It is a shame to read about the errors it has. I am a little picky on the matter. Thank you for sparing me a few hours reading it. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

damis wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 09:36 I was quite appealed by the title of this book, since I find novels with Christian roots interesting when well executed. It is a shame to read about the errors it has. I am a little picky on the matter. Thank you for sparing me a few hours reading it. Great review!
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I love books on spirituality and it's content is captivating.The errors are really profound, but I will still add it to my list.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”