Adam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Re: Adam

Post by FaithMO19 »

Adam is a character that intrigued me in the book and I think he's the reason I'm enjoying this book
White_Nights
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Came for Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by White_Nights »

When i started the book, i have to admit that i almost dropped it because it was really disturbing with the Adam's thoughts about his mother and the girl that he kidnapped. But I gave it a chance and discovered what was going on. But to be completely hones, i was disappointed from his 'puppy' behavior around her girlfriend, she looked more like the boss.
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I agree with you at first I wasn't impressed by Adam. He loathe people, had feeling for his mother, kidnapped and led to the death of an innocent girl. I thought for sure I had chosen the wrong book. But as the story unfold I understood Adam better. As much as he was the main protogonist, I feel introduction of Carly robbed him of his role as she seemed to take charge. Shifting the readers interest from Adam.
4njhe
Currently Reading: Desert Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-4njhe.html
Latest Review: Hard Knocks: Memoir of a Small Moment by Ray Lopez
Reading Device: 9780648278085

Post by 4njhe »

In the beginning I thought the book was going to be the making of a serial Killer. The thing they described and how he abducted Terry but could not go through with whatever his plans were for her.
Brielle_S
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brielle-s.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Brielle_S »

I was a tad disappointed that Adam turned out not to be the anti-hero. The character clearly had a lot of anger and was extremely aggressive in the beginning of this book, so I think this would have been a great opportunity for some more complex character developments.
Officialboluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialboluwatife.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Officialboluwatife »

I agree, but still love his how his character was developed. Despite so many negativity, angry and anti-hero exhibit. It is still suited for the story.
Officialboluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialboluwatife.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Officialboluwatife »

I agree, but still love his how his character was developed. Despite so many negativity, angry and anti-hero exhibit. It is still suited for the story.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Yes. Even after the revelation that he comes from one of the noblest and powerful bloodlines I thought there would be certain betrayals and plot twists that would blow everybody's mind. The only betrayal was by the story to me.
Little Muse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-muse.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Little Muse »

I hadn't thought of Adam in that perspective but, the idea of Adam being the villain is also exciting. He can make a really good one considering his traits
Chanda Chema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanda-chema.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Chanda Chema »

Giving it a thought, Adam can play out the villain character really well. His thoughts are organised and any action by him as the enemy will be intriguing.
MegMoreland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megmoreland.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by MegMoreland »

SirLaddie wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 12:12 I was not fond of the main character, Adam. In fact, I was so turned off by his psychotic personality I almost put the book down. I understand the author's desire to portray him as a psychopath but it was too overly psychotic and didn't need to be that severe. It was a major turn off for me, especially it being young-adult fiction.
I agree with you. For me, elements of Adam's personality were so dark that he wasn't quite redeemable in my eyes.
ILikeBigBooks
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilikebigbooks.html
Latest Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most by Bob Dowell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by ILikeBigBooks »

I didn't finish this book because of how dark and twisted it was. The first 40 or so pages of it do not at all match what the rest of the book is about. This is supposed to be a coming-of-age, young adult novel, but it's really more of a twisted sexual book.
Jeanht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanht.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Jeanht »

Adam's thoughts initially were too extreme. I had to recheck the genre of the book.
I expected an equally deep redemptive curve for him, since he was the protagonist. Unfortunately, disappointed in that hope at least in the first book.The other books in the series may have more to offer in this regard.

Being cast as the anti-hero later on may explain why not much has been written about his thought process during reformation.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

I also got an anti hero vibe from Adam in the starting of the book. His character was completely changed maybe if Adam showcased the antihero throughout the book then it can be more interesting.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I almost dropped the idea of reading the book when I read the first few pages. It was a bit too much for me but as I kept on reading, I felt a bit relieved as I read the reason for his behaviour. Villain Adam would have confused us as well as our emotions, and left our love and hate for him to play tug of war :lol2:

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”